“dark, dirty, and very poorly located”

Residence Inn Charlotte South at I-77/Tyvola Road
Ranked #72 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
PA
“dark, dirty, and very poorly located”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Being here makes me sad. That's the worst thing I can possibly imagine about any hotel. It is dark, it is dirty, it is shut off from the rest of the world. I liken my stay here to living in a bus station for three days. Never again. I love Marriott properties. This is not a Marriott. This is a frat house in a bad location.

As a business (and leisure) traveler, I look for a few things in a hotel. They are:

-a convenient location
-cleanliness
-safety (I travel solo)
-fast, working internet

I'm writing this using the fast, working internet--so that accounts for one of my stars. I also feel pretty safe--the other star. Additionally, the woman at the front desk was VERY (very, very) nice when I checked in. But the cleanliness and, especially, the location, leave a lot to be desired.

On cleanliness: the kitchen is worse than my college apartment kitchen was. And that's saying a lot. It appears that the staff is cleaning all the time--the walkways are filled with housekeeping carts at all hours of the day, and the sound of vacuuming echoes through the breezeways. So they are trying. But they can't help how old and desperately in need of update this entire property is. There's a huge chunk missing from my kitchen counter (not a deal breaker; it's just a counter top) the floor in the bathroom is a scratched up, dirty, disgusting mess, and--worst of all--there's pink slime on the floor of the shower. I wish I had flip flops to wear in there. One bright spot is that the lighting is very poor--so it is hard to see just how gross it is. But I re-packed my bag this morning for an early departure tomorrow--I needed the sunlight to be able to see in order to do so.

On location: this has got to be the worst-located hotel I've ever had the displeasure of enjoying. It is located in an executive hotel 'park', and both yesterday and today it took me upwards of 20 minutes just to get out of the shared parking lot area. It is surrounded by a wasteland of strip malls--the nearest grocery store is 'five minutes away'--that's without traffic (in traffic it took me 45 minutes, but that's with the 20 minute parking lot wait). I do not understand the traffic here. Where is everyone going? There's nothing but discount chain stores and oil change places as far as the eye can see. What's the holdup? I ended up eating at a Chilis twice (TWICE) because the Chili's is IN the parking lot (the sign of which is so broken you can only see the last I and the apostrophe and the s at night) and it would have taken me far too long to get anywhere else. I hate Chili's. (hate. it was that or no food. even making it to the McDonald's across the street would have taken too long via car--and there's really nowhere to safely walk, what with all of that traffic and all. Plus it is far-ish and it is cold outside. And I'm here on business and thus should not be forced to walk to a fast food restaurant for food.)

I'm writing this post for two reasons. One, to warn others. I read the reviews before booking here and quite honestly am stymied by the positive comments. And two, because there's nothing else to do here after work, aside from sit in traffic or eat at a Chili's. And if I glance away from my computer, I'll just get more depressed. And I'm definitely not going to take a nice, long, hot shower!

photos: the pink slime on the bottom of the tub and a lovely panoramic shot of the exit to the parking area, as viewed from the door of the cursed chilis.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank elbodans
RICharlotteSouth, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte South at I-77/Tyvola Road, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Guest,
We are very sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience at our hotel. We completely understand the hotel is due for a renovation and we are scheduled to have one in a few months. All appliances will be replaced including the kitchen counter tops and cabinets. Everything you mentioned will be either replaced or resurfaced (bathtub photo). As far as the photo outside of Chili's (which is down the street from us), the reason for all the traffic congestion is that Tyvola Rd is one of the only ways of getting to the Southpark area which is 3 miles down the street. The Southpark Mall, the finest mall in southeast, is located there as well as many businesses and residential neighborhoods. Fortunately, we are located right off I-77 so most guests say they are able to get in and out very quickly compared to staying in other parts of the city.
As you experienced at check-in, we have an excellent staff and although we may have some temporary condition issues because of our age, we have loyal customers that stay here from all around the world. Yes, that may seem odd especially to those who stay only a night at our hotel but you really don't get the full picture of who or what the Residence Inn is until you stay with us a week, a month, or longer. We specialize in accommodating guests who are here for a special project, training or relocation. We engage with them and do everything we can to make them feel at home away from home. That social engagement is extremely important to some people, so much so that they are able to overlook a few blemishes. If you want a hotel that knows you by name and even knows the fine details of your likes and dislikes, then we are your hotel. I sincerely apologize that your experience was so unpleasant. I'd like to invite you to return to our hotel after our renovation in hopes that you will experience something different.

Melissa St. John

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Nice big rooms, big tv set, awesome location near the i-77. Quiet and peacefull. the only problem is the 'high speed' as they call it, internet connection which very rarely works fast enough just to browse wepbages. Apart from that there is nothing to complain about

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
RICharlotteSouth, Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte South at I-77/Tyvola Road, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review of the Residence Inn Charlotte South! We apologize for the WiFi being slow. Did you contact the Front Desk to inform them? It may have been a night where we were full and if there were multiple people streaming videos, it will consume our bandwidth and potentially produce slower than usual service. Again our apologies. We appreciate your business very much. Please visit us again when in Charlotte.

Best regards,
Management Staff
Rock Hill, South Carolina
Reviewed November 8, 2013

The location is great. It is located right off I-77 on the southside of Charlotte, NC. The front desk clerk, when checking in, was very nice. She explained the rules that if you make too much noise and someone complains, management will ask you to leave with no refund. The building was easy to locate. I was disappointed in the wear of the hotel from the outside. This hotel needs a facelift. The wood on the stairs and outside patio needs replacing. The paint is peeling and the boards old. Once inside, I was very disappointed in the size. I reserved a two bedroom/two bath bi-level suite (what they called a presidential suite, that it was not!). The kitchen and living room space was very small. The couch was old and had cigarette holes in it. The kitchen stove was very old and needs to be replaced. The room smelled old. We had to use air freshner and candles to make it smell fresh.

The beds slept good. Each room had flat screen TVs. The bathroom door needs replacing. It looks as though rats had eaten through the bottom of the door. I only stayed one night but was comfortable. I have stayed at better Residence Inn and I was really disappointed. I felt as though I did not get my money's worth for the size room that I paid for. Check out was easy and the front desk clerk was very friendly.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tamara68
RICharlotteSouth, Owner at Residence Inn Charlotte South at I-77/Tyvola Road, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review of the Residence Inn Charlotte South. We apologize about the condition of your room. Yes we are due for a renovation which we anticipate to begin in April 2014. All furniture and appliances will be replaced. We will keep guests posted on our progress.

Management Staff
boca raton
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Stayed here for one night in a queen studio room on the second floor. Greeted in a warm and friendly manner as a rewards member and quickly given our room keys.
Not the most modern, with the room showing some wear and tear, but everything was spotless and in working order. Quiet A/C and comfortable bed even though only a queen sized.
Breakfast more than ample with the area constantly maintained and clean.
A quiet, comfortable one night stay with a very attentive staff. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
RICharlotteSouth, Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte South at I-77/Tyvola Road, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent stay with us at the Residence Inn Charlotte South! We appreciate your review. We were happy to hear you were greeted warmly by the staff and that you would stay with us again. Hopefully next time your room will be renovated! :-)
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My family & I visited the Residence Inn Tyvola Rd in Charlotte on 10/19. The location was great and the hot breakfast was great. Although the restaurant was very small considering how many rooms they have. The rooms definitely need to be updated. The furniture and appliances were outdated! The staff was very friendly and accommodating and that was the best part of our stay!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank tarsha1963
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Residence Inn Charlotte South from your recent stay with us. We understand the breakfast area is small and that our appliances and furniture are outdated. That will be changed once we go through our renovations next year. We were happy to hear our Staff was attentive to your needs. Your business is appreciated and we hope you visit with us again.
Ontario
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This RI is quite handy to I-77. The rooms are nice. The staff very friendly & helpful. The breakfast has all the usuals + apples, bananas, sausage, scrambled eggs & yogurt. It's far enough off the highway, but not too far, that it is a quiet location. I will stay here again when stopping in Charlotte.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent stay at the Residence Inn Charlotte South! We are glad to hear that you were happy with our Staff, Breakfast, and Location. We hope to see you again as you pass through Charlotte.
Starke, Florida
Reviewed September 30, 2013

While this Residence Inn is not as updated as most it was very nice. The rooms were clean and very nicely decorated. All front desk personnel as well as those working the breakfast bar were very nice and accomodating. The room was very quiet except for occasionally hearing someone run water above us.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
We are glad we met your expectations during your September stay at the Residence Inn Charlotte South and that the Staff was helpful. We will be undergoing renovations next year and hope that when you pass through Charlotte, you'll stay with us again. Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn Charlotte South!