“Comfortable stay at Residence Tyvola Road”

Residence Inn Charlotte South at I-77/Tyvola Road
Ranked #91 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in earlier this month (Aug2012). Paid the corporate rate ($149) a night and stayed Tues-Thurs night. Was out in the 1 large building that had interior corridors. I would have preferred an exterior studio but it was not offered. The room was standard Residence, small kitchen, microwave, full fridge, stove top, small living room area, work station, seperate bedroom and bathroom. Good condition. My room was close to the guest landry and main door to building. Only issue was all the doors slammed shut very loudly. When someone entered their room late it generally woke me up. Also I had a difficult time controlling the a/c.
Morning breakfast was decent - eggs, waffles plus usual continental breakfast stuff. They served a small dinner Mon-Wed evenings - bbq, nachos, etc. Good location, close to I-77 and restaurant chocies near by - Mc Donalds, Chili's and few others. 10 minutes to major mall. Overall I was happy with the stay but if it wasn't for my job I would never pay in excess of $100 for this hotel. At $149 night it was not a good value.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We were fortunate enough to be referred to this location by a family friend for this past weekend. When we arrived we were checked in by Victor who provided GREAT customer service from start to finish. He provided the fastest, most accurate, and complete service I have ever had in hotel check-in and otherwise. I cannot begin to explain how much having a person like him being the first face a customer sees is worth...PRICELESS! Thanks a million Victor! I stayed in room 1306 (a 2br suite) which was very clean. Nothing was out of place or missing from the suite. Again, the best accomadations ever. My sister stayed in room 1310 which was immaculate as well. KUDOS goes to Housekeeping! I cannot forget Levi! He was very helpful and friendly on the next morning. He and Victor great customers with a smile and wonderful service. Levi prepared our waffles and suggested setting arrangements which made the process tremendously easy. I had to get their names because I never forget people like them who provide such wonderful service in a business where they encounter many different attitudes. I watched these guys assist many people with a smile. The other staff keep the breakfast buffet stocked and tables cleaned (with Victor and Levi assisting as well). Last but not least, I called on the evening before my stay and a young lady (I did not get her name) attempted to help me book the second room. I decided to let my sister call back to book the room but the young lady was very eager to assist and did later help my sister. I will stay here evertime I visit Charlotte and have already recommended this location to several friends all thanks to your SPECTACULAR STAFF! Y'ALL ROCK!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Great location near the airport and the city, excellent service, and good rates. We stayed for 4 nights and enjoyed a pleasurable stay. The rooms are very spacious, clean, well kept with a very nice layout. There are several restaurants in the area, shops, a movie theater, and a gas station within walking distance. We took the kids to Carowinds Amusement Park and Discovery Place which were both a lot of fun! The hotel staff are very friendly and helpful. Victor, the Front Office Supervisor, was extremely pleasant and very accommodating. The breakfast was hot with good choices and the comp dinner was really nice. Only thing better would be more space in the breakfast/dinning area. The kids enjoyed the outdoor pool while the adults relaxed in the jacuzzi. I did not have a single problem with this hotel. Highly recommend! :)

Room Tip: For a family stay, I would reccomend the 2 Bedroom Suite. Both bedrooms have a queen bed and there i...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Residence Inn C, Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte South at I-77/Tyvola Road, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Residence Inn Charlotte South. We are happy to hear you had a great experience and enjoyed our spacious Two Bedroom Suites and Pool & Spa. It's nice to be able to relax and enjoy adult company in the Spa while your children are swimming in the pool. We're glad that worked out well for you. Thank you for your kind words concerning Victor. His customer service skills are fantastic and he is a pleasure to work with as well. Please visit again soon!

Reviewed July 31, 2012

I checked in at the hotel and I was greeted warmly. The staff is very friendly and are willing to go the extra mile to make my stay a pleasant one. Its a great family residence and the food was very good.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Rashid A

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind words concerning the Residence Inn Charlotte South. We are glad to hear you had a great stay. We hope that when you return to Charlotte, we will see you again!

Reviewed July 16, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel more than a couple of times because the location is good. The rooms are not the worst, but cleanliness is an issue and could be better especially if you have allergies. The room had a faint scent of cigarette smoke and mildew, plus the pictures have not been dusted in awhile. The hotel is just starting to show its age, particularly in the bathroom. The tile was nasty. I grabbed a bath towel that was folded on top of the toliet and it was damp on the inside, and then I grabbed another towel and it had some stains on it. I have to warn you about the breakfast area because it is very small. The best time to go down there is probably first thing in the morning when they first bring out the food because it was so many people with little to no space. However, the beds were extremely comfy and the service was nice. I probably will stay here again for the location, but I hope they make more improvements.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Gr8nessnme
Residence Inn C, Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte South at I-77/Tyvola Road, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying at the Residence Inn Charlotte South and on bringing all this to our attention. I hope that you also brought these observations to our staff as well while you were here. If not, we would love to discuss further with you concerning the room you stayed in so that we can correct the problems. Please don't hesitate to call. Your satisfaction is VERY important to us. Our hotel will be undergoing a renovation next year so that will correct some of the items you brought up. As far as cleanliness is concerned, our scores consistently rank very high so whenever we fail to provide it to a guest's satisfaction, we would very much like to know. Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel. We do hope to see you again so that we can provide you with an excellent experience.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Am a Platinum Marriott member and stayed at this hotel in early July while travelling for a conference.

First off and most importantly I must comment that the staff at this hotel will absolutely wow you with top rate customer service, extremely friendly and attentive to your needs. Thank-you!

Secondly, from a value perspective it can't be beat either, was able to get a AAA rate of $109 for a "Penthouse Suite" essentially a bi-level suite that can sleep up to 6 if you wanted, great for families.

Thirdly, the hot breakfast was excellent, wasn't expecting gourmet but was definitely happy that it was more than continental breakfast and/or reheated breakfast sandwhiches. This hotel is great cause its just off the I-77, its also right beside a large big box plaza with a Costco.

Lastly, if your expecting the actual room facilities to not show the wear and tear of a hotel that was originally built a number of years back, I'm sorry this is where you'll be mistakem. The rooms itself are in need of a facelift hopefully the corporate bigwigs can make this happen soon cause the team at this property is fantastic!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review of the Residence Inn Charlotte South. We appreciate greatly your kind comments about our staff that work so hard to provide excellent customer service. We will certainly let them know! As far as the property is concerned, we are planning on a renovation next year so hopefully when you return you will see our beautiful facelift! Have a wonderful summer and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

Me and my family stayed there last year when we visisted Carowinds and this is one of the best kept hotels that I have stayed in........... The rooms were well cleaned, comfy beds, descent kitchen to cook in and most of all the rooms we very cool which me and my niece loved. because walking around Carowinds park all day and coming back to the room made us feel much better. A big hi5 to your attendants that help keep your establishment well kept.

Room Tip: well all the rooms were in perfect order.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Sandra P
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind review of the Residence Inn Charlotte South. We're glad you were able to enjoy our clean and cool rooms, comfortable pillow top mattresses, and kitchen after a long day at Carowinds Park. A hotel room should make you feel better! Hopefully you were able to enjoy our outdoor pool and spa as well. We hope to see you when you're in town again.

Tina Crossland