“Good price and nice room”

Chapel Hill University Inn
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
“Good price and nice room”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I booked it on internet, and was the best price I found. The room is clean, the price is right and even being a little far from the down, the shuttle service helped a lot. Also, there is a mall across the street with everything I need for the three days I spent there.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
ChapelHillUnivInn, Director of Sales at Chapel Hill University Inn, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Thanks for your comments and appreciate your business! We offer affordable, clean rooms for guests visiting Chapel Hill. While only 2 miles from UNC campus and downtown, our shuttle service can be very helpful to guests, so glad you were able to take advantage of that service. Hope to see you next time you are in town!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
North Carolina
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I stayed here on a trip to visit family recently. It was alumni weekend the university, so most of the hotels were sold out, especially the affordable ones in town. I'm pretty sure we booked the very last room last minute at this hotel and were left with a smoking room as the only option. The price was right so we went with it.

When we checked in, the woman at the front desk was very nice and helpful. The hotel lobby is modestly decorated and the hotel has outdoor corridors. It was what I expected though being more of a motel, so it was fine with me.

We drove around the buildings and parked close to our room. Upon entering the room, ugh, the smoke smell. I can't believe hotels even have smoking rooms still. But, we knew going into this that it was a smoking room. I just kept my suitcase closed and tried to get over it/stay out of the room as much as possible. The air wasn't on when we got in and it was super stuffy, which probably didn't help the smell... if they kept it on low at all times it might smell better. Overall the room was fine, nothing special. I felt that the sheets were clean and that's my biggest concern so it was ok. The bathroom was laid out well - big counter space. The towels were cheap and felt weird. No shampoo/lotion, just soap bar. It's more of a motel, so I was not too surprised.

After check in, we decided to check out the restaurant/bar before we went to bed. It was dead except for a couple people at the bar. It was probably close to 11pm so to be expected I guess. The restaurant I can tell gets busy during sporting games for UNC since they have a ton of TVs. The bartender was nice but could tell she was ready to get off shift. The drinks were well priced I thought.

Overall, I would stay here again if I needed to but would not get a smoking room.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a non smoking room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thanks for your feedback. We are glad that we were able to offer you a clean room, a friendly staff and a great rate while visiting Chapel Hill. While we cannot help that our smoking rooms smell smoky, I will pass on the suggestion to keep air movement in the room. We hope you choose to stay with us next time you are in the area, and feel confident if you book early a non-smoking room will make your experience even better!
Cape Carteret, North Carolina
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I was happy with the room, the staff, and how clean the room was. The front end staff help anticipated how my stay could be improved and made the changes for me, which was nice. I would stay here again without reservations. The one improvement could be the free coffee being serve. I could not drink what they were serving.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
We love when guests comment on how clean our rooms are and our helpful staff. We will pass your positive comments on to our housekeeping and front desk teams! And the next time you are in stay with us, make sure to try the new coffee!! We are replacing our coffee system this week with a better, higher quality blend! Thanks for staying with us!
Fresno, California
Reviewed April 2, 2014

While the people at the front desk were very kind and helpful, the rooms were not clean. The bathroom towels had old stains on it and when we returned to the room for the evening we found a roach crawling around. Also, the toilet would not stop making noise throughout the night. When I booked it, it was a categorized as a three star hotel, since then it has been downgraded to a 2.5. This is a motel, not a hotel. Service was fine, but the room was unacceptable and was not clean.

• Stayed March 2014
Thanks for your feedback. We apologize that the hotel room did not meet your expectations. We will follow up with housekeeping and laundry about the towels. In NC most likely what you saw is a called palmetto bug. During the season when you stayed with us they tend to try to find shelter inside. With our guest room doors opening to the outside this can happend but we don't find this to be a regular occurrence. We hope that you will give us another chance the next time you are in town. Thanks for the positive comments about our staff!!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We arrived for a stop over on our way to Cherokee, NC. This was our halfway point. We were looking forward to seeing the UNC themed hotel, along with taking a shot at trying the TimeOut resturant that is connected to the hotel. I wish I would have know better...First off, while checking in "Heather" (which I later found out was new), seemed overwhelmed, while she was assisting me (or trying to assist me), the phone kept ringing and she would answer. Instead of her co-worker digging in her purse at the front desk looking for a personal item, she should have been helping her by answering the phone. Then the co-worker kept interupting her, with questions regarding a 3rd party credit card authorization being faxed over. 30+minutes later I finally got my keys and drove around to the "Baseball" section; we parked put our things int he room and decided to go eat and try the famouns "America's Best Sandwhich" as seen on Man vs. Food. We sat ourselves and waited a bit for "Dillon" to finally come around, only because the owner asked him "Have you waited on these folks yet"...They were quite busy on the patio for some flip-cup kick ball tournament thing...We finally ordered, and the our sandwhich came out along with our fries. Although, the sandwhich a hair on it, so I discreatly walked over to "Dillon" and showed where the hair was, he appologized and said would get us a new one. The new sandwhich arrived, but seemed microwaved at this point...My husband didn't eat his half. We then ordered a drink, when my glass came it had old lipstick on it from the previous guest. "Dillon" again appologized, and brought me a new one. It also was "Dillon's" third day on the job according to him, and he also isn't typically a bartender but becuase of the flip-cup kickball thing on the patio he was filling in. We paid for our tab, and left a nice tip as we didn't think it was "Dillon's" fault for the hairy sandwhich and lipstick stained cup and he was trying very hard. We then headed back to our room and noticed that housekeeping hadn't done such a great job preparing the room for our arrival. There was old liquor caps or mini wine bottle caps near the foot of the bed which made us wonder if the floor had been swept. The drop ceiling in the bathroom was horrible, the ceiling in the bedroom area looked like it had been painted over to conceal waterdamage. Although the LG tv was a nice flat pannel, they have it hooked up to standard cable, so a box TV picture would have been better. The lien was old (not the comforter...you could tell that was new); but the sheets had stains, and old cigarette holes in it. We were so dissapointed from dinner and the fact we were only staying one night we felt it wasn't necessary to even let them know as we didn't want to repack up everything and move/have houskeeping come in at that hour of the eveing and do whatever they would try to do.

The next morning, I ran in to dropp of keys, the young man asked what my room number was and he said I was all set. I asked if I needed anything or sign anything and he said no I was good. Once in the car, I pulled up my online banking to check to ensure everything was okay as I had already paid in full through a non-refundable fare thru Expedia. SO glad I checked because the clerk had processed my credit card I had on file for "incidentals" for $55.03. I had my husband turn the car around and went back in. I explained to the young man that I had already paid and didn't understand why I was charged $55.03; he said OH she was new, and it was just an authorization on your AMEX card. I explained I don't even have an AMEX card, and that I had already pre-paid thru Expedia; he proceeded to say that well the $55.03 is what Chapel Hill University Inn gets, and the what I paid to Expedia which was 70+dollars is what they get...I said I don't really care how the distrubition is done, it is non of my business how Expedia and the hotel get paid, I'm just concerned becuase you are now charging me $55.03 when I had already paid to Expedia $70+ in full. Not only did this make me upset to know I was now being Overcharged thru Expedia, but had nothing to do with the subject at hand. I asked to speak w/the mananger on duty which according to the sign was "Cynthia Shaw", but it was not it was the Controller for the hotel I think her name was susan...(could be wrong); She then went thru my folio and again brought up the fact that my AMEX was charged...I explained again I don't own an AMEX, she then found my Visa card and said she did see the charge would have to fax over a statement to the bank to release the funds and I could have a seat as it will be awhile, I told her I would rather just wait. After about 30 minutes I asked the young man to see where she was at as she had not returned, he came back and said she is just now faxing over the paperwork. Susan (again, unsure if that is her name), came out to let me know it had been faxed over. I asked for a recieved page so I was sure the bank got the fax, and she responded with their machine did not provide recieved pages...(I do believe all fax machines do generate a recieved page it just is a matter of if you know how to do it). I then took the GM business card, and decided if there were any further issues that I would contact her directly.

In summary, just stay elsewhere...staff seemed to not be well supported in either the dining room, or the hotel. Staff was not very friendly...a bit ubrupt and room was below par.

You may ask if the incident with being double charged didn't happen would I still have felt the same way...yes, I would and ask that you stay elsewhere for the same amount of money, either through the rate you get on Expedia, or the Hotel rate.

Room Tip: No tip...just don't stay
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca A
Lincolnton, North Carolina
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We arrived in Chapel Hill one night for a basketball game and stayed at this hotel ... it was a perfect stay! My kids enjoyed the lobby area decor and the room was really clean! The location to the University was great as well. I definitely can't wait for our next stay!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Jennifer S
Nanuet, New York
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Yes, an odd complaint. But when a large coffee cup fills the garbage it starts to wear on you. That and the fact that they supply hardly any soaps, electrical outlets are nowhere convenient, and very little other creature comforts makes this place fine to stay at if you are looking for a budget hotel. But it you enjoy some of the additional hotel room benefits I would stay away.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business