“great”

Chapel Hill University Inn
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Was hoping to stay at a house closer to UNC-Hospital, but was full. The SECU Family House suggested the Inn. We went for it. It was more than I expected. Nice, clean, comfortable, warm , & more than we needed. It was impressive that it had the Gideons Bible. We were there to spend time with my brother-a patient at UNC-Hospsital. It was more like a vacation. Thanks again for being there. Check in and out was great. Very friendley.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed March 28, 2013

I enjoyed my stay. The location of the Inn is ideal. Itseems as if the neighborhood is growing I saw lots of development that was exciting. Chapel Hill offers quiet sophistication with it's many restaurants and history which the Inn manifest.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 28, 2013

No luxury. This hotel took me back to the 50s . . . it's pretty worn out but as others have said, the location is great and the price is pretty reasonable. Take your own toiletries, because all you get is soap and a tiny shampoo. My room had a microwave and fridge, though at check-in they told me I'd have to pay $5 extra for those and I opted out, so they were a nice surprise. My room was clean and comfortable, first floor with my car just outside the door, but I had to air it out - the air freshener smell was overpowering when I walked in! Heat was adjustable, room had hair dryer, iron and ironing board, coffeemaker, wifi. My biggest problem other than the smell was the key cards . . . had to go back to the office twice to have them reset after they wouldn't work - not fun. Also had to try two different ice machines to find one that worked. Did not try the adjoining sports bar which also serves breakfast. Chapel Hill is always terrific, so if you're not spending much time in your room, this hotel would be adequate. I started to switch to the newer Days Inn nearby before I arrived, but they were so rude when I called that I changed my mind. The front desk folks at this place were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank jude48
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Good things: the location is excellent; near the grocery store, restaurants and downtown. The price is good and they give a discount for three nights of stay.
Bad things: the room was too hot all the time... even though we tried to turn down the heat, it didn't work at all. The last night the card key didn't work, it was around 3 am and we had to go three times to the front desk to try to get a new card key but each card key but none of the new cards work. At the end they had to wake up the maintenance guy to open our room. I didn't like the design of the room with the big windows in the front, because it does not give you any privacy at all.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sofia M
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Whoever wrote the positive reviews for this hotel was either confused or has very low expectations. From the check in with a front desk clerk with an attitude, scribbled room directions, hair on the bathroom floor, and a sloping bathroom ceiling, the whole night was an experience in tolerance. If I had not paid through the Internet, I would have left. The absolute worst place.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank ahb59
CHtarheels, Director of Sales at Chapel Hill University Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

We apologize for the experience you had at our hotel. These service issues are certainly not typical of our staff. We continually strive to provide great service, affordable rates and clean, comfortable rooms for our guests. We will share your comments with our team.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

If you are a Tarheel fan you will love this hotel. And even if you're in town for another reason, such as a music event, gallery opening or other sporting event, this is a nicely maintained place that is clean and dog friendly. It's in a very busy part of town, and very convenient to Franklin Street. So if you are looking for a lot of quiet, this might not be the choice since there is a lot going on in a relatively small area. But, if you are visiting Chapel Hill to have fun and convenience, this is a nice place with friendly staff. The restaurant located at the Inn is very nice too.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I had a room with a king sized bed. Although it was small, it was very clean. It was once a Holiday Inn, so my brother tells me. Since it has a sports theme (the handles on the doors of the lobby are baseball bats), he made a comment on feeling like he was in the ocean (so much blue around). It has a restaurant and bar connected to it called "Time Out." A friend of mine who was there with her husband on a different trip said the food was quite good.The personnel were very friendly and helpful. It is on a large intersection N Fordham Blvd with easy access to 15-501. I have no hesitation saying it is good for people on a budget!

Room Tip: There are smoking rooms are on the second floor.