“Poor Management”

Chapel Hill University Inn
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed here for two nights and my bottle of expensive cologne came up missing. It was identified the day it went missing from my bag on the bathroom sink. The manager was notified the same day it was missing and I had to call back twice as I was not contacted for 4 days. I was told people 'misplace' things all the time and their staff said they never saw it or took it... I never saw them take it but I will assure you it's NOT misplaced.... We won't patron there again.... I reported it, you decide....
Reputable CEO

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Reputable-CEO
ChapelHillUnivInn, Manager at Chapel Hill University Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

We apologize for the negative experience and impression that you have of our hotel, it is not the style of North Carolina hospitality that we strive to deliver for all of our guests.

We did thoroughly investigate the situation that was reported that evening, and we were unable to find any evidence of entry into the guest room in question other than with the key that was issued to the guest.

We take the safety and security of our guests very seriously, and understand your concerns. We continue to train our staff on appropriate guest safety and security precautions.

There are newer reviews for Chapel Hill University Inn

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I read a few reviews before staying here for two nights, so I was a bit nervous before getting there. My daughter had orientation at UNC and the hotel provides a free shuttle very close to where we needed to be for most of our stay. I love the food at the bar on site and it's very convenient that there is a little strip mall across the street from the hotel with a trader joes, starbucks, and cute little italian place (I can't remember the name)! The front desk staff is really nice and I witnessed them take a lot of grief from other guests staying there with a smile. I had no problems. My key didn't work once or twice, but I came to the desk and they were able to fix that. Little issues are to be expected when staying at hotels, they were very prompt at fixing the issue, and even sent the houseman to escort me to my room and make sure I was able to get into my room with no problems. I will definately stay again! They probably should update, but for the price is just right!

Room Tip: I would try not to be right by the pool. It seems that it's quiet most nights but the constructi...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Sabrina M
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I stayed there in June of 2012. I was in Chapel Hill for a conference at UNC. I was very disappointed with my stay and really surprised that the sponsors of the conference recommended this place. The carpet was dirty, the bathroom was clean but needed updating badly, and my room was inthe very back of the motel where it was very dark and dangerous looking, near some bushes. The housekeeping staff left the doors open when they cleaned the rooms so my room and my colleague's room were filled with various types of insects. My colleague reported this problem to the front desk staff and she was simply told that this was a completely normal occurrence and did not seem phased. So all in all this place is NOT a good place to stay and it is shocking that it is even in Chapel Hill as it is totally out of character when comparing it to all of the other hotels in the area. I will NEVER stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank S B
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I stayed here one night and it was ok. The staff was great and very helpful and I liked that they had a computer to use with a printer. This helped with printing off maps of the area and then my boarding pass for my flight. For the price it was worth it because of the location to UNC and the shuttle to Franklin Street. The room isn't exceptional- it is ok, but for the price and location it was just fine.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank wanderlustgal01
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Staff was friendly. The room appeared clean but kind of shabby. And weirdly damp. I didn't see any bugs or anything. The ac ran constantly, but I wasn't bothered by any noise.
It was an OK place to crash I guess. But I don't plan to go back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Notaro
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Spent 4 nights here. I wasn't in the room much except to sleep and shower; that was for the best. It's clean for the most part, but very worn. There had been water damage in the bathroom walls at some point. I kept smelling smoke from the people smoking outside (yuck!). People outside one night were up 'til 4 AM talking, keeping us awake.

Our room did have a refrigerator and small microwave, a nice bonus as Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are both nearby. Front desk staff were friendly. I did not try the on-site restaurant. Free wifi worked fine. And, the room was very inexpensive; you get what you pay for.

I'll likely go elsewhere if I return to the area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank brngckn
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I stayed here for a week while attending a conference at UNC - I was using my own money, so price was a strong consideration. I got a good rate through hotwire (around $50/night), and was happy with the quality/price ratio. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable, although the pillows were lumpy. I do recall being a bit frustrated by lack of outlets to charge my phone and such, but this is easily enough remedied by unplugging the hair dryer when I was not actively engaged in drying my hair! My only real concern was that it was a bit damp - if you have allergies this is a real consideration. Otherwise, the location is very convenient to UNC and I-40, has a shopping center with Trader Joe's and Starbucks across the street, and a Whole Foods nearby. If price is a major consideration, then this is very good value. Also, they have smoking and non-smoking rooms, so be sure to specify which you want - I was put in a smoking room the first night because I hadn't specified, but they were friendly about switching me when I asked the next day.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a non-smoking room if that is what you want.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business