“Eh... Just OK”

Chapel Hill University Inn
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Spent 4 nights here. I wasn't in the room much except to sleep and shower; that was for the best. It's clean for the most part, but very worn. There had been water damage in the bathroom walls at some point. I kept smelling smoke from the people smoking outside (yuck!). People outside one night were up 'til 4 AM talking, keeping us awake.

Our room did have a refrigerator and small microwave, a nice bonus as Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are both nearby. Front desk staff were friendly. I did not try the on-site restaurant. Free wifi worked fine. And, the room was very inexpensive; you get what you pay for.

I'll likely go elsewhere if I return to the area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank kirstenpix

Reviewed July 8, 2012

I stayed here for a week while attending a conference at UNC - I was using my own money, so price was a strong consideration. I got a good rate through hotwire (around $50/night), and was happy with the quality/price ratio. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable, although the pillows were lumpy. I do recall being a bit frustrated by lack of outlets to charge my phone and such, but this is easily enough remedied by unplugging the hair dryer when I was not actively engaged in drying my hair! My only real concern was that it was a bit damp - if you have allergies this is a real consideration. Otherwise, the location is very convenient to UNC and I-40, has a shopping center with Trader Joe's and Starbucks across the street, and a Whole Foods nearby. If price is a major consideration, then this is very good value. Also, they have smoking and non-smoking rooms, so be sure to specify which you want - I was put in a smoking room the first night because I hadn't specified, but they were friendly about switching me when I asked the next day.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a non-smoking room if that is what you want.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Sheila P
Reviewed June 30, 2012

we are in our fifties and have been to many places. Our room smelled like musty cigarette smoke. The Internet acsess was terrible. It was outdated and couldn't find enough plugs to charge our phones etc without having to unplug lighting. On a scale 1 to 10 I give it a three. Outdated decor. Small pillows. Suppose to get a king size bed but when we got there they told us that wasnt available....what's that about?

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank yogidavis24
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We had to have the toilet plunged at 2am, and again at 9am. The air conditioning didn't work and we were told "that's as good as it's going to get." (The coffee maker didn't work either.) When we reported to the front desk, they said "thanks for letting us know ..." We were charged more than the price quoted on our reservation, and the "manager" couldn't explain why we were charged more - we've been directed to the "account manager." The quoted price was too high as it was, considering there was no breakfast. The "breakfast buffet" was scarce, looked horrible, and $8.99. Check in time wasn't until 4pm, and the pool closed at 9pm. There was a restaurant/bar advertised, which closed at 11pm on Saturday night. Late night desk clerk was rude.Terrible night's stay! The worst we've had in Chapel Hill, and we frequent this area. Our advice would be to LOOK ELSEWHERE!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank april4171
Reviewed June 3, 2012

If you are a business traveler, skip this place. Not a single electrical outlet in the room that was accessible without moving furniture to get to it. Also, no desk. And an old, lousy TV. Room was clean, and the bed was comfortable, so not totally unsatisfactory.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank NCjohnboy
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We got a very good deal for our 2 night stay; $65 per night. That being said, it isn't worth more than that.

The rooms are small and dark and out of date. The bedding is not good quality. The windows aren't very private. It's much more "motel" than it is "inn".

On a good note, the pool is cute, there's a small wooded area for picnics and BBQ's, and the on-site restaurant was surprisingly good and tasty. The staff was nice too. If you get a good deal, it is nice for an over night or for a cheap stay for a family.

It is located along a busy street, with a little "mall" across the street that has some shopping and a Starbucks and a late night convenience store along the other end. It's about 3 miles to downtown Chapel Hill.

I wouldn't stay there again, but for $65/night it wasn't horrible.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Traveling K
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We recently stayed at the Chapel Hill University Inn using a Groupon. Our room was outdated but extremely well kept. Upon checking in we were told our reserved room was not available yet because the carpets were still damp from being steamed. We were quickly given another room without much fuss. The only hassle I encountered during our stay was given the fact I used a Groupon to pay for our stay. I combined two Groupons for two nights. In order to use both Groupons I had to make two separate reservations and check out after my first nights stay and check back into the same room the next morning. Our guest-room was extremely clean and smelled very fresh. The pool area was very clean and had a wonderful cabana tent with outdoor furniture placed within the pool fence. There were many lounge chairs situated around the pool along with hotel towels for your use. There was a nice grassy area with chairs and a grill for guest use directly behind the pool area. The hotel also offers a shuttle that runs specific hours on certain days of the week. We did not take advantage of this amenity due to the fact that I have a small child whom I would need to transport a stroller and car seat to the shuttle van. It was much less hassle in our case to drive our own vehicle. If a Groupon becomes available again for this Inn I would take advantage of it because it was a reasonably price get-a-way for our family which was centrally located to a lot of the main attractions of Chapel Hill.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family