1,612 results
All reviewsthe crossroadssouthern charmunc campushistoric hotelfranklin streetfront porchchocolate chip cookiesrooms are smallplace to stayself parkingwonderful staytar heelthe location is perfectcollege visitturn down servicebed was very comfortablehistory
Reviewed January 31, 2011

My experience was similar to the last poster. Good and bad. To summarize, I would probably stay there again, but have a lot lower expectations.

First the Good:
-Room was amazing. Actually felt like home and not another hotel room. One of the most amazing bathrooms I've ever seen, which a gorgeous shower, soak tub, 2 sinks and side room for toilet. Had all of the amenities we would have wanted.
-Bed was very comfortable
-If you want to be on campus at UNC and walking distance to everything, this is a great location

Now the bad:
-Paid $15 for "VIP" treatment. Not exactly sure what I received? Actually, didn't receive anything for this.
-Part of package included early check-in which I confirmed the day before. When we arrived at 1 PM, we were told no rooms would be ready :(
-Had to wait 5 minutes each time we went to front desk (1st checkin attempt, 2nd checkin attempt, checkout) since there were only 1 or two people there who were working rather slowly
-When we called down to the front desk/valet, no one picked up and we were sent to voicemail
-When we asked the valet if the parking was "in-out", we were told "yes, but the valets work for tips". I found this rather rude
-We wanted to take the shuttle to the basketball game. When we inquired about it, the front desk told us we would have to ask around to see if there was still room?

Summary - Pay for the minimum that you can, enjoy the hotel, but don't expect much. 5 star rooms, 0 start hospitality.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smn87
Reviewed January 26, 2011

Check in was truly awful, 2.00pm Friday 14th January...there were two young people at check in and they were on the phone all the time...never once "Welcome to the Hotel" and when I asked where were the elevators one girl still on the phone just pointed to the right...if I had not prepaid we would have left at that stage. Went down later to reception and thankfully the two girls had left, Mac could not have been more helpful..(I was trying to find where to buy a Financial Times newspaper)he asked did we have any cookies and I replied in the negative as the two girls were not interested in that. We had paid an extra $15 a day for possible upgrade and a special offering from the chef..what was that?..I asked Mac on the second day about that and he was shocked we had received nothing..immediately up came 4 of the smallest biscuits you could imagine and 2 small bottles of water...for $15? later that day we had a plate with 2 raspberries, two blackberries, a piece of stale cake and a strawberry with chocolate, and another two bottles of water.....for $15?...my advise...do not take the $15 offer...complete waste of money....room, we changed...was very pleasant ..not sure about extra amenities...we did not have a bath ..only a shower...good heating in the room but none in the bathroom.....water and fruit was not replaced in the gym each day...in my opinion the place needs a decent manager to make sure everything runs smoothly...I suggest Mac the receptionist be made the manager......we had a pleasant time there but we would not spend the money staying there again. Once you have a bad start it is very hard to recover.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank begley85
Reviewed January 20, 2011

Beautifully renovated but still has character of 19th century. Perfect location for any campus activity. 25 min walk to Smith Center, 15 min walk to Kenan stadium. Truly outstanding dining room and one of the finest dining experiences I've had. Staff is friendly and efficient, from the valet who politely asked if I would prefer to self-park, to the dining room server who happily cheerfully honored a request to significantly alter a menu item. Outstanding fitness center with all of the top self equipment. This is truly a campus gem. Go Heels!

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed December 20, 2010

We had a wonderful stay and enjoyed every moment. We look forward to visiting Chapel Hill in the summer and staying again at this great hotel. Very friendly staff and exceptional valet and shuttle service.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 14, 2010

I stayed at The Carolina Inn while traveling on business with my husband. We chose this hotel for its proximity to the UNC campus and walking distance to the Franklin Street shops and retaurants. I assumed that since the Inn was historic it would be a little older/outdated - especially since we booked directly through their website and got a great deal.

First, the stafff was excellent. They have valet and self park ($12.00); the staff was there to greet us and take our bags. After you check in, they give you complimentary cookies to welcome you. The lobby is extremely welcoming and was extremely festive for the holidays. The front desk easily accomodated our early check-in request and our room was perfect. A very historic feel, but updated features made the hotel extremely comfortable. The bathroom looked almost brand new and all of the furniture/fixtures were representative of the history and character of the hotel.

You also get free Wi-Fi which is great for business travel. As I mentioned before, the proximity of the hotel to everything else (shopping, restaurants, campus, main roads) could not have been better. We requested a late check-out (2PM) the morning of our departure and the hotel said it was no problem at all (obviously depends on demand of the room/hotel on that day) with no additional charge. I will definitely stay there again, especially for the price and level of service!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business