“First class hotel, service and southern charm. Decor was fantastic - i wanted to stay longer”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Carolina Inn

The Carolina Inn
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Chapel Hill
GreenLeadersGold level
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2010

Be sure to request a renovated room. If you hate small rooms, you should insist on a king or two doubles. The queen room was cozy and perfect for us, but my husband might have liked a larger room.

Love this hotel and my ultimate test of how good a hotel is... did i want to stay longer? Yes! Honestly, I would have liked to have stayed another 4 days! Really wanted to take an afternoon nap in that bed. Bedding was fabulous. Be sure to request a renovated room. They were still renovating when we were there. The decor was fabulous. It isn't clean lines modern by any means, but it is tasteful, classy - marble baths, clean white fluffy bedding, and gorgeous window treatments, rugs. Furniture is all local mahogany and very nice.

Loved it!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Polish first
Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2010

We got in early, 10 AM or so and they had our room ready. No fuss. No special request. It was clean, comfortable, lovely decor. Parking was easy and reasonable at $10/day. If not for our daughter who has special needs we would have been within walking distance to at least good food and an art museum. Would have been happy to stay longer.

Madison, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2010

I have stayed at the Carolina Inn on many occassions (for TarHeel sporting events mostly)! I always enjoy myself! It is important to understand that this is a boutique hotel, so every room and every stay has been different (but great) for me. Their rooms are like a box of chocolates...you never know what delicious surprise is waiting for you inside! When you know you are coming to Chapel Hill...book that day, because getting a room vacant is not an easy task. Go Heels!

Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2010

The Good:
- Location , you can walk all around town and do not need a car while staying
- Reception area is very pretty
- We got a rate $160 bed and breakfast which we thought was good
- Food was excellent throughout
- Free internet access for guests
- Four computers for free internet access
- Pretty hotel

The Bad:
- Building work is happening at present (August 2010). Walking to our room involved going over cardboard, walking around ladders and workmen. Though I appreciate this needs to happen, customers should be warned when building working is happening at time of booking. The lack of warning shows a distinct lack of thought and customer care by this hotel.
- Bathrooms were the smallest I have ever seen in a hotel. It was hard for one person to be in there never mind two.
- Our bill missed a number of large charges which was to our advantage, but does suggest a lack of attention to detail at this hotel.
- Parking charge of $10 for self parking is mean
- Staff were generally pleasant but were not always motivated to be helpful.
- Watch out for the taxes per room per night. It added $60 a night to our bill.

We would return once the building work is complete.

Indianapolis, INdiana, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

Overall a great experience! I arrived and the hotel staff was very welcoming; they provided a fresh chocolate chip/toffee cookie upon checking-in. My room had been newly renovated (likely within the last 3 months) and it was very classy. Great linens. Modern bathroom.

I had a minor issue with my air conditioning. Upon contacting the front desk, a tech immediately came to my room and alleviated the issue. He also followed-up by calling 20 minutes later to determine whether there was anything the air conditioning was functional or if there was anything that could be done to better my stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Syracuse, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

Its a bit pretentious, the rooms are small, and there is no pool -- but has a great location for nightlife on Franklin street and very handy for visiting the university. Also can get a decent rate if you book far enough in advance (tho will still get stuck for $10/ni parking which seems a bit excessive)

Suffolk, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2010

My boyfriend & I stayed at the Carolina Inn for a friend's wedding. About a month after our stay, both credit cards we used at the hotel were 'compromised" aka stolen. Neither the hotel nor the hotel's management company contacted us. I was able to identify where the card was stolen because several of our friends that also stayed at the hotel had their cards stolen as well. I contacted the hotel & they gave me the 1-800 number for their management company, Destination Hotels, & offered no compensation for my inconvenience. The hotel was very nice and analogized but I did have to call 3 times before I was given the number of the management company. I called Destination Hotels. They merely asked for the location of my stay, my name & phone number. They said they had "uncovered a malicious software program inserted into its credit card processing system from a remote source. The software breach has been corrected." They said there was an ongoing investigation & no compensation was available. He added they were also a victim of the attack. The hotel was nice, maybe a little overpriced. This situation ruined my opinion of the hotel. I will not stay at this hotel or any other hotel managed by Destination Hotels again.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KLC2010
TheCarolinaInn, General Manager at The Carolina Inn, responded to this review, August 5, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your payment card. We take this issue very seriously and apologize for any difficulty you had in reaching us to discuss this situation. Immediately upon learning of the breach we advised and cooperated fully with the various credit card companies and law enforcement. The system breach was widely reported in the media and letters were sent to all past hotel guests in our records letting them know of the situation. I’m very sorry if you did not receive one of these notice letters. We value your business and I welcome the opportunity to personally discuss this issue with you. Please contact me directly at 919-933-2001 In the meantime, we’ve also posted important updated information on our Web site about this issue under our “Special Notice” link. Please visit this site to obtain important information to prevent fraud.

Shawn Gracey
Chapel Hill University Inn
#6 of 17 in Chapel Hill
Hampton Inn and Suites Chapel Hill / Durham Area
Hampton Inn & Suites Chapel Hill/Carrboro

Been to The Carolina Inn? Share your experiences!