The Carolina Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Franklin(Chapel Hill)
View Hotel
Chapel Hill InnTown(Chapel Hill)
  • Pool
Aloft Chapel Hill(Chapel Hill)
  • Pool
View Hotel
Chapel Hill University Inn(Chapel Hill)
View Hotel
Courtyard Chapel Hill(Chapel Hill)
1,486 results
All reviewsthe crossroadssouthern charmunc campusfranklin streethistoric hotelfront porchchocolate chip cookiesplace to stayrooms are smallself parkingwonderful staytar heelthe location is perfectfirst rateturn down servicecollege visitbed was very comfortable
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 26, 2009

This hotel is in the best location if you want to be near everything. It's located halfway between Franklin Street and the campus of UNC.

We stayed here for two nights, (Friday night and then two days later on Monday). We had a great experience with the staff. Our first night was a 3rd floor room, Very clean, immaculate room. The second night was a 1st floor room. The only problem was that the shower head was wobbly and wouldn't stay in position. I told the front desk at check out and they wrote a ticket to get it fixed.

As far as price. We used priceline and got a real good deal for each nights stay. The only issue I had was the difference in 'add-ons' between the two stays. Friday night we got free parking and a room with two Queen beds for no additional cost. On Monday there was a $10 fee to self park and a $20 fee for a room with two Queen beds. Both fees were not abnormal but they were inconsistent with our stay just two days earlier. I pointed this out to the desk and they offered free breakfast but our day was already planned and breakfast at the Inn didn't work with our schedule.

We will return.

• Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed June 24, 2009

I took my 18 yo daughter to her college orientation and spent a night at this Inn on the way home. First of all, the room was very damp, musty and couldn't be cooled, no matter what I did. It was small but I must admit, the beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was disgusting; mildew everywhere. The toilet wouldn't flush on the first try every time. I found the desk staff to be very stuffy and unhelpful. The best part of the stay was the breakfast. It was sumptious and worth the price. Overall, this could be such a nice place, if only they would try harder.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 21, 2009

We stayed for two nights while attending new student orientation- the room was perfect, staff friendly and helpful. The breakfast was wonderful- fresh fruit, yummy oatmeal, as well as eggs, breakfasts meats, etc. This has quickly become my favorite hotel

Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 27, 2009

My wife and I stayed 3 nights at the Carolina Inn in late April of 2009. We were located in room 306 and paid a Priceline rate of $120 per night (I tried for less, but there seemed to be something going on in town that weekend).
The Carolina Inn is a very attractive, old Southern style building located on the edge of the UNC campus near the heart of downtown Chapel Hill. Most restaurants, shops, and campus locations are within a 10-15 minute walk of the Inn. The front desk staff were very polite and helpful, as were all the staff (many of whom were obviously UNC students). The room itself was very compact and had a small window looking out towards the campus. I wouldn't say that the room was particularly great, just ok.
I think the main thing that sets the Carolina Inn apart is the ambience. It just feels right. Partially it's the historic look of the place, but there are also some other details that help set the right mood (e.g. the wonderful aroma of flowers in the lobby - although those with allergies might take note!). This atmosphere perhaps makes one willing to overlook the small negatives I noted during our stay: these included the out of order elevator that served our end of the building, and the rather loud cooling/heating system in our room.
Things to note:
1. The Carolina Inn charges $10 per day for parking whether you self-park or valet park! For some reason (no doubt they want tips) they REALLY want you to valet park almost to the point of being annoying about it. My recommendation is that if you arrive over a weekend ditch the car a block away in one of the campus lots where permits are only required M-F 8-5 (be sure to read the signs before parking).
2. Despite the historic nature of the building and the amount they charge for most things it's surprising that wi-fi is freely available.
3. On Friday evenings in the summer they have bluegrass, drinks, & food on the front porch. It's a nice event and very well attended. The front porch is just a nice place to hang out any time the weather is accomodating.
4. As I mentioned before, the Carolina Inn is not a cheap place so be prepared to look elsewhere for an affordable meal. There's plenty of good restaurants up and down Franklin Street.
Overall, if you can snag a room here on Priceline for under $150 I'd say go for it. You might have to navigate a minefield of other charges while staying here (like the parking and the laughably expensive room service) but the old Inn just oozes character and charm that more than make up for its imperfections.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Westby
Reviewed April 14, 2009

I stayed in the Carolina Inn for three nights while looking at the University of North Carolina. The location is excellent, if what you want to see is the town of Chapel Hill and the University, you won't need a car.

Our room was a double queen, (room 161) and it was spacious. It is an older Inn, so I'm sure room size varies. The room and the public areas we saw were spotlessly clean and well maintained. The hotel help were all very polite. It really does have the feel of an old, gracious Southern Inn.

The food in the restaurant was very good, but the service was extremely slow. I don't know whether the kitchen setup is inefficient or what, but the service was much too slow, and the wait & bar staff are of the "cheerful amateur" variety, not trained to make customers feel like their needs are being taken care of during a long wait.. At these prices (for the rooms and the food) I expected a bit more professionalism.

That said, I'd stay here again if I got a good deal, as I did this time. I'd just take my meals somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple