“Outstanding and NC Hospitality” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Carolina Inn
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Chapel Hill
GreenLeadersGold level
Kathmandu, Nepal
“Outstanding and NC Hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

Recently stayed three nights for a conference. The room was excellent; the staff terrific (ask for the fresh chocolate chip cookies); food very good. The equipment in the fitness center was a little dated but more than adequate.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

Since finding out my best friend is getting married here in June I have had nothing but problems. I want to be with all the wedding party but I'm defiantly having second thoughts! Tried 4 times to book a room over the phone and would get no one to take my call. After reading reviews now I need to call back and ask for a renovated room since I'm paying crazy amount to stay here in the First place and also ask for one facing the garden bc who wants to look at a parking lot. I am very upset that I see there is a $15 a night charge to park my car!!!!!! This is crazy I am already paying to stay at the hotel for a wed ding! Never heard of such a thing!!! And when I made the reservation my this was never mentioned to me! And not to mention there is no pool for my son to enjoy (instead I'm told I can pay a fee and go somewhere close by), and no complimentary breakfast for again an outrageous priced room.
This hotel is just getting worse and worse and I'm not even there yet.

Stayed March 2014
4 Thank Sara P
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

This hotel exudes classic Southern charm, in the best sense. The staff is friendly and helpful, the bartender makes a terrific drink, and the rooms remind me of a bedroom in a cozy upscale older home. But they are cozy, not as big as you might expect for the price, but with excellent furnishings. It's also nice to sit on the huge front porch and just relax if the weather cooperates. There are a half dozen excellent restaurants and plenty of interesting shops within walking distance.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Rob R
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

We enjoyed an evening at the Inn last week when I attended a meeting at the UNC. It's location right across the street from the main campus makes it very convenient. It has all the atmosphere of a luxury hotel-resort with great service. It was crowded so reservations are needed - but it was during a basketball game period! The hallways, lounges, and rooms are attractive and have a warm an cozy feel. Our room on the third floor had a small window and slanted roof-wall, but not at all uncomfortable. The fixtures were new and worked well. Full internet service and large LCD TV. On our floor there was a small pantry - accessed with the room key (magnetic card) and had snacks, drinks and newspapers. Ample parking. Only one negative episode: we paid a premium for a upgrade which included a 2 PM check-out. While I was at the meeting which included lunch, my wife was called shortly before noon and told she had to leave the room since the room was needed. She was able to get through this, but was told she needed to come to the desk to get a new key!...if both of us were not in the room at noon I am not sure what would have happened. This is probably nothing more than a front desk clerk who didn't look at the reservation!

Room Tip: Plenty of parking, easily accessible. You don't need valet at an extra charge. The Crossroads...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Morganton, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

I stayed here while on a business trip and plan to make this my go to spot when traveling to Chapel Hill. Comfortable bed, clean and quiet room. The food at the restaurant was amazing. I had the scallops and a dessert. I sat at the bar and the bartenders kept me company throughout my meal. I can't say enough positive remarks about this place. I will be back!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

So beautifully decorated. Delicious cookies. So close to UNC. Will return! AC was a bit noisy But tolerable. The lobby and common areas are fabulous and the bathroom was small but recently renovated. The color scheme was so pretty.

• Stayed February 2014
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

We stayed at the Carolina Inn last week during the winter storm that we had. I needed to be close to work, and also I planned to stay there so we wouldn't have to drive home after the Carolina/Duke basketball game. As it turns out, I am a better advanced planner than the Duke athletic department since they didn't show up and the game had to be cancelled. Luckily, the Inn was a cozy alternative. I love how most of the furniture of the Inn is made by North Carolina furniture manufacturers. I love how the Inn manages to be so green and environmentally friendly while still feeling comfortable and luxurious. The food at Carolina Crossroads is outstanding for all meals too. I might have to plan another weekend back not during basketball season, when there is no chance a Duke basketball team will disappoint me.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are small, but they all feel quite cozy and use space quite well.