1,608 results
All reviewsthe crossroadssouthern charmunc campushistoric hotelfranklin streetfront porchchocolate chip cookiesplace to stayrooms are smallself parkingwonderful staytar heelthe location is perfectcollege visitturn down servicebed was very comfortablehistory
Reviewed June 7, 2008

I stayed at the Carolina Inn because it was recommended by the organizers of the conference I attended. I booked the room through the hotel website with absolutely no problems. The place has quaint Southern charm, but I do have a small problem (not a problem that is small, but the problem is "smallness": the rooms!). I have stayed in hotels from the US to Switzerland to China, and this is by far the smallest room I have ever stayed in. From what I understand, there are large suites at this property, so apparently a few folks enjoy those at the expense of the rest of us who are crammed into tiny spaces. Just a thought for the management: let people know you have really small rooms before they arrive. I might have opted to stay in one of the dorm rooms also offered on campus, which, from what I hear from the occupants, were plenty roomy!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 24, 2008

Having recently stayed at the Carolina Inn for a wedding we were in town for, we did not regret our decision to "upgrade" our reservation for a Junior Suite from a regular Queen room. We were traveling with our 1 year old in tow and having this "extra room" allowed our crawling daughter enough space to move around. Upon check-in I requested the Maintenance staff to bring up a roll of tape (I forgot the blue painters tape at home) in order to "baby proof" the outlets and tape the drawers shut on the armoire. We also had a nanny in the room with our daughter while we were attending the wedding reception downstairs, and this allowed for her to watch tv, etc while rolling the 'pack n' play' into the bedroom.
A helpful note to anyone staying in a hotel - make a mental note of where the stairways are adjacent to your guestroom!! This came in handy on this trip, because low and behold there was a fire coming from the basement, which set off the fire alarm and absolutely filled the 2nd floor halls with smoke. Thank godness I took a look at where the stairs were (and that it was only a 3 story hotel), because I had to exit immediately with a very scared baby in my arms with the ear piercing sound of the fire alarm/strobe light combination going off in the smoke filled hallways. Very scary scenario which thankfully turned out ok, and had the guests back in the hotel within an hour of it happening. We even had a chance to see the bride pose with her bridesmaids in front of the firetruck to memorialize the event. :)

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed March 5, 2008

We requested a room of appropriate size for my husband and myself as well as our 1 year old who would be sleeping in a crib provided by the hotel. When we arrived in the room, the crib was there and there was absolutely no room to move around. The crib had been crammed in in the space between the bed and the wall. We could not even set up the luggage racks to unpack our suitcases. We needed to iron our clothes for the event that we were attending but could not do that as there was was no space to set up the ironing board. I was shocked that we could have been so warmly greeted at the front desk and then shoved in a room that, in most hotels, would be a closet. I couldn't help but wonder what was going on in the head of the person who assigned us to that room. What were they thinking? Consequently, we were not able to spend any time in the room at all during the weekend. During our daughter's daily naps, my husband and I had to take turns waiting outside the room as we could not be in there with her while she slept because, in the small space, any movements we made would have woken her. We were way overcharged for the product and experience that we had. I absolutely would not recommend this hotel for families with small children.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank mtmw96
Reviewed February 7, 2008

We are frequent travelers and I often review the hotels that we visit. I booked a "queen larger room" at the Carolina Inn months in advance for the evening of the Duke/Carolina game. I can agree with much of the criticism of several of the previous reviews. First, there is no self-parking when you arrive to this hotel. They either cannot accommodate the number of guests who might be staying at their hotel, or they permit others to park there. We found this at the onset of our stay to be disappointing. Then, at check in, we were not really spoken to at the front desk in a manner similar to other guests (regulars to the UNC games , I am presuming). I am one of the most avid Tar Heel fans anyone should ever wish to speak to. I don't, however, believe that this should be a criteria on which the management bases its decision on how they speak to you. While we were checking in (and out the following morning) we felt that there were constant groups of people that the staff was well familiar with, to the extent that we were just sort of put in our room (or in our car) and sent on our way while these other guests were "taken care of." Might sound like a small thing, but a big part of customer service is making EVERY customer feel as if he or she is important to your business. We really didn't feel that way.

Now to our "larger" queen room. We totally agree with another reviewer that this room was anything but large- the queen bed barely fits and the bathroom is tiny. More disturbing is the lack of any sort of window that you can see out of. There is some sort of small dormer window that lets in light- and that's it. The bed was very comfortable. However, you can get really comfortable beds in any Westin hotel (or Sheraton) and also have a window somewhere in the room. And, we completely agree that we could hear a constant assortment of people well into the night talking as they walked up and down the hallways. In short, we were overall disappointed with our stay at this hotel and probably would not stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TarheelBred
Reviewed February 6, 2008

My trip was for business so I was in and out pretty quickly. However, the inn was perfect for just this type of visit. I arrived tired and in need of a good night's sleep and this is exactly what I got. The rooms may be tiny, but the bed was ultra comfortable, the bathroom was huge (I especially liked the Bath and Body products), room service was tasty (though it would have been nice if the dinner menu went past 11 pm) and the staff was friendly. No complaints. For anyone with business at UNC, this is the spot.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)