“Beautiful Inn, comfortable, clean. Excellent service. Great food.”
Review of The Carolina Inn

The Carolina Inn
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This visit was for an educational conference. The place is gorgeous. The room was very clean and beautifully decorated. Staff were gracious and accomodating. Food was excellent. The fitness center was clean and all of the equipment was in working order. This was one of the most relaxing business trips I've ever taken.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Mary H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,419)

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I cannot say enough positive things about the Carolina Inn and its phenomenal staff. The hotel is luxurious and full of Southern charm. You could spend a day just wandering the Inn and the grounds and feel like you were stepping back in time (without sacrificing modern day amenities). The hotel staff are, by far, the best I ever encountered in all of my travels. They literally went out of their way to help me. One gentleman, Seth, who saw me looking for something during one of the conference breaks, asked if he could help me find something... I had been looking for a glass of milk. He personally saw to it that I got one! Michael, at the Valet, was so courteous and charming when he drove me to a nearby shopping centre, that I still think of him fondly. Julie at the valet was also very friendly and recommended some stores for shopping. Every staff member I encountered was positive, polite, and helpful. They no doubt were major contributors to the wonderful stay I had at the Carolina Inn.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank A_Bitton
Jack S, Director of Sales at The Carolina Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind comments with us and for other travelers to read. Our team works hard to ensure we genuinely provide the highest level of service and experience possible. As a group of hospitality industry professionals, it means a great deal to us to hear that we created such positive memories! We very much appreciate you taking the time to post your comments here on Trip Advisor!

Reviewed August 8, 2012

There's so much right about this hotel. The rooms are renovated nicely and fine. The front desk, concierge, and valets are eager and helpful. Plus, it's rare to have a "campus hotel" of this quality. It is expensive,but the overall value matches the cost.

I must report something that occurred that suggests a lack of wisdom and customer orientation in the management that is enough of a concern to bring the hotel's rating down a notch.

The hotel's restaurant was doing a deal with Groupon, I guess, to boost summer business. I get that. All these folks filled up the restaurant while we were there. I sorta get that, too, though one would think that the hotel would hold some tables for guests staying at the hotel.

But what I don't get was the obliviousness of both hotel and restaurant management to trying to find alternatives for hungry, travel weary guests such as ourselves. For example, we suggested that we'd be fine to eat dinner in the lounge but were told that they couldn't hold a table even there because it wasn't their policy to reserve tables in the lounge and that they might need the tables for "Groupon spillover."

C'mon! This reflects a point of view that is simply untutored in satisfying paying customers above all other issues. These folks need to learn how to play in the big leagues if they want 5 stars and charge 5 star rates.

Sadly, we were once again given the "no room at the inn" story when we tried to have lunch on the day we checked out. To their credit, the staff on hand took the complaints reasonably well, comped our lunch in the lounge and seemed to understand that they hadn 't handled this well. I'd feel better if senior management gets it and instils better practice in the future. I guess we'll have to see.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sandy K
Reviewed August 6, 2012

After several really difficult years we finally decided it was a good time to escape even if it was only for a night. We are so happy that that night away was spent at The Carolina Inn!!! We were upgraded to a Deluxe King and it was wonderfully comfortable. Room service delivered chocolate chip cookies and milk. The cookies were by far the best that I have ever tasted. The service was impeccable. Will certainly go back again and again!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nancy W
Reviewed August 3, 2012

This place is far from a 4 star hotel. It is more like a 3 star motel run by inexperienced college kids. First, the service at the front desk was terrible!! We booked a king and we were give a double queen which is not that big of a deal but when we questioned the man at the front desk he argued with us and threw our credit card at my husband!!!!!!! When we got to our room it smelled and it was not cleaned real well. The beds are uncomfortable too! For $188.00 I had high expectations! I'm so disappointed and let down by the quality of this hotel! :(

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank travelfreak100
Seth K, Manager at The Carolina Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Thank you for the feedback and I would like to personally apologize that we were not able to meet your expectations during your recent visit. I’ve had a chance to review your comments and I would enjoy the opportunity to speak with you directly regarding your stay. Our guest feedback is critical to our continued improvement and comments such as yours are extremely helpful as we strive to provide the very highest quality of service. I am also hopeful that through the many positive recent reviews, you can be assured that your experience is not the standard and The Carolina Inn places its guests experiences above all else. I can be reached directly at 919-918-278 and I look forward to speaking with you in the near future.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

My husband and I wanted to get a night away for our anniversary and decided to stay at the Carolina inn. We have always enjoyed the restaurant and very much enjoyed the hotel as well. It is right downtown so we could walk to shopping and restaurants as well as stroll through the beautiful UNC campus.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelingmomVA
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Great hotel in a great location. Rooms are well appointed and varied in style. Rooms are also quiet. Both the restaurant and the bar are warm, friendly and serve great food. Reservation to the Cross Roads dining room highly recommended. Staff goes out the way to make your stay enjoyable. Close to Franklin St. Where there is a plethora of dining and shopping. If by chance you are a patient or visitor to the Hospitals at UNC, they offer a free shuttle service. There is a valet parking charge. Wi-Fi in room is a little slow but the computers in the lobby area and business centers are fine. There is no charge for Wi-Fi or in lobby computer use. On some Friday evenings, weather permitting, there is a cocktail party with music.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Courtyard Chapel Hill
Courtyard Chapel Hill
#11 of 18 in Chapel Hill
Hampton Inn & Suites Chapel Hill/Carrboro

Been to The Carolina Inn? Share your experiences!