“Won't be back”
Review of Bin 54

Bin 54
Reserve with OpenTable
Bin 54 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 303 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 15-501 / Fordham Blvd.
Description: Using only the highest quality ingredients, Bin 54 elevates classic steakhouse dishes to a new level of refinement. Staged in a warm contemporary setting, diners are offered glimpses of the wood-fired grill, a canopied patio, and the temperature controlled wine room stocked with an extensive inventory of both eclectic and traditional selections.
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Good food. Terribly rude manager. Blah atmosphere. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive for poor treatment. No thanks.

1  Thank GMP1234

Reviewed February 7, 2014

This is a popular restaurant in the Chapel Hill area specialising in steak. We called in without a reservation during restaurant week to be met by an attitude of " you have to be joking" from the young lady at the front desk. This time we had a reservation and the young lady perfunctorily showed us to our seats without any niceties and didn't have the curtesy to ask my wife if she wanted her coat hung. She then gave the menu with prices to my wife and me the non-priced menu. I noticed a fair number of business dinners going on around us and I would have been less than happy had that happened to me if I was entertaining clients.

The service didn't get any better. The waiter also failed to ask to hang my wife's coat. I like to be able to peruse a menu for as long as I want without being continually badgered nor do I appreciate suggestions unless I ask for them. Our waiter failed on both counts. Unfortunately things got worse. We had a nice bottle of white Bergundy and also had sparking water. The same waiter then proceeded to pour sparkling water into my wife's wine! When asked how he planned to sort this out he said he didn't know.

Eventually the wine waiter (I hesitate to call him the sommelier) brought my wife two glasses - one wine was a sweet white wine that could have been a desert wine - the other was an acceptable but in my view inferior wine to the Montagny Premier Crus we were drinking.

Anyone can make a mistake but good restaurants usually over- compensate in some way for their errors.

A final word on the service - the waiter automatically assumed that we didn't want coffee and brought the check whilst I was still working on dessert. Admittedly the restaurant was busy but it appeared that this waiter was anxious to see the back of us.

Now the food - we both chose a starter of foie gras mousse. The dish was way too large for an appetiser. It was bitter in a manner reminiscent of chopped chicken livers. My wife had a filet mignon. Surprisingly this was sliced before serving and was medium rare when she ordered medium. I tasted it and the meat was very average almost as if it had been cooked from frozen. I have had better steaks at Texas Roadhouse and the Outback. In no way would this be comparable to a similarly priced but infinitely superior steak at Ruth's Chris.

I deliberately chose the market catch. It was good. The potato puree was excellent the sprouts had lost their colour from the cooking. We finally accepted the waiter's recommendation on dessert and chose the banana pudding which was delicious.

A final word concerning the decor. I commented in a review of the One Restaurant that the open kitchen at that establishment reminded me of pizza places - this has a much smaller view of the kitchen but in a quality restaurant I only want to see the kitchen if I am eating a meal at the chef's table.

1  Thank Mike L
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Enjoyed a holiday meal here and will be back! Had the crabcake for an appetizer, excellent - no fillers. You can ask for no panko crumbs on top and it will be gluten-free. We had an excellent wine recommendation. The steaks were perfect. We had haricot verts (green beans) with almonds and they were crisp and tasty. I liked the scalloped potatoes although my friend thought they were undercooked. (but he is from the south where people think everything should be overcooked!) We tried the creme brulee and cheesecake for dessert and they were very generous portions and very good. My only dislike was that I added the "lobster butter" to my steak. It turned out to be a huge glob of butter with teeny flecks of lobster I really couldn't taste. It also made my steak colder. I pretty quickly just moved it to the side. It was only $5 extra but I would not get it again. Very personable server who gave the right amount of attention. On a side note, a young man at the next table got a huge steak (36 oz) with a giant rib bone sticking out of it - called The Tomahawk. It is quite the sight! It reminded me out of something from the Flintstones. If you are hungry he seemed to like it!

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Just got back from our dinner at Bin 54 and it was awesome. The side dishes were standout - creamed spinach (the best), mushroom ragout and Brussels sprouts. Our steaks came as we ordered them and the proper temperature. My dad said it was a meal on par with the steakhouses he's been to in Vegas.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

A fine steak house for special occasions; has a good reputation; insane prices. Unfortunately I have had better steak at The Texas Roadhouse. My son's filet was average with an above average price. Priced at about $45 with $20 added to that for the featured sauce of the day. My strip steak was prepared as requested but was gristly, tough to cut and nearly tasteless. The service was very good as were the side dishes. The restaurant asks for feedback on their web site and indicates that they will respond. Still waiting. There are so many fine dining choices in Chapel Hill where prices are more in line with quality. We will not be returning to Bin 54.