“Really very good for the price”

Residence Inn Chapel Hill
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Shanghai, China
“Really very good for the price”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

The suite arrangement of the Residence Inn was a nice surprise and the extra space made the experience much more comfortable. Incredibly clean and cvery friendly and courteous staff made it a relaxing and stress free stay. Well located for Chapel Hill and 10 mins to Durham puts it in a very convenient locataion.

• Stayed August 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Puerto Aventuras, Mexico
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Please check the photos I downloaded for verification.
My husband and I stayed at this hotel for two days in early August 2011. We have stayed before without problems. This time, however, there were problems so significant that I will not stay here again.
The suite is large and well designed. There is good separation between the bedroom and the kitchenette/living room.
Here are the problems we encountered:
Black mold in the shower. See photos. When you are staying in a public place the last thing that you want is a reminder of sanitation issues. There were also ants in the bathroom, weirdly, not in the kitchenette.
The second issue was that there was a lot of noise from hallways, adjacent rooms and from the room above.
The final issue is that on the late afternoon of the second day, there was a large party in the courtyard just outside our window. (See photo.) Within feet of the wall of that window is a permanent double barbecue installation. Just beyond that are tables and chairs.
I called the front desk around 8pm after a couple of hours of loud noise to inquire as to when the party would be over. They said another hour. I waited an hour and a half when it became apparent that the party was not ending and they said that they would talk to the people. This went on until 11pm. They were unable to move us as they had no other rooms and they prevented us from changing hotels by stringing us along until it was too late at night.
A couple of years ago we preferred to stay at Marriott properties because they seem to be well run, clean and inviting. This has changed. I will avoid this brand for the near future.
If you have to stay here make sure that you are not one of the rooms adjacent to the barbecue courtyard. Otherwise avoid this place.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank DMH8400
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I stayed here recently to visit with friends and family. The location is relately close to downtown Chapel Hill, NC. When we checked in I was asked to sign a quiet policy. I thought this was interesting, but gladly signed it. I had reserved a King suite. When I made the reservation I specifically asked for a high floor, extra pillows, and extra towels. None of my requests were fulfilled. I'm not sure why Marriott asks it's customers for specific requests if they cannot provide them. Nice try though.
The room itself was OK. Cosmetically it could use an update and the furniture had better days. There were visible rips in the furiture upholstry, carpet rips, and the couch was shot. It was a convertible, but the cushion needed to be replaced. The toilet also leaked when flushed. I guess housekeeping is just oblivious to these items or the last guest didn't care?
The second morning were were awoken at 5:55am by the hotel fire alarm. Quite a loud one too! We exited the building and waited. After about 5 more minutes of the alarm sounding it was silenced. No one from the staff told guests what was going on or if it was ok to re-enter the building. After waiting outside for about 15 min we went back in since other guests were returning to their rooms. The GM or whomever was in charge should have sent someone from the staff to notify customers as to the status of the fire alarm. We were at this hotel another 3 nights and never got an explaination. As far as the quiet policy being upheld, it wasn't in this place. The room across the hall was like a revolving door. Doors were slamming all hours of the day and night, and the guest above my room must have been wearing lead shoes. Constant walking about from above would drive anyone nuts.
Anyway in summary, I'm not sure I would stay here again, but it's definitely a good location if you have family or friends in Chapel Hill, NC. The daily breakfast (complimentary) was good. The wi-fi was not very strong in my room, thus internet browsing was slow.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room, away from a staircase.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Ohio
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Overnight here for Duke Basketball game. Even though this is enemy territory for Duke fans, the hotel is clean, comfortable and very convenient to everything. Would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Rooom: Double queen suite was clean, spacious. Control over AC. Full size frig/freezer with ice maker. Basic kitchen supplies and double stove top burner, microwave. Housekeeping comes every day and runs dishwasher. TV in living area and bedroom. Large closet.
Extras: Wifi was free and fast. Staff was friendly. Parking convienent. I was traveling alone and felt very safe--well lit, inside hallways, locked doors that access the outside. Breakfast was great--lots of choices from cold to hot. Plenty of healthier options. ALso have a manager's hour three times a week with beer/wine and light dinner. ?They acutally do have a shuttle (website says they don't) that runs during the day. Also bus stop right outside the hotel and all buses in Chapel Hill are free. A note for those needing an accessible room--I stayed in one; the room was fine, but oddly pretty far from the one elevator.
I was very pleased and would stay here again without hesitation.
Overall, I was very

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 29, 2011

My daughter and I spent 6 nights here. She attended camp during the day. We met several families who were staying here while their children also attended camp. The hotel room was perfect. The breakfast buffet was fresh and plentiful. The front desk staff were the friendliest and most knowledgable I have met in a long time. The location is close to grocery stores and other shops, and a short drive to the main area in Chapel Hill. The grounds are lovely and the pool is great. We cannot wait to return next summer.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Davidson, North Carolina
Reviewed July 27, 2011

This was an outstanding accommodation. Let me tell you why:
*Clean, spacious room
*Mattresses that were perfect--very conducive to a good night's sleep!
*Excellent, varied hot breakfast bar
*Manager's reception three evenings a week (heavy appetizers-enough for lite dinner)
*Free shuttle weekday
*Pet friendly! (yet clean, well cared for room)
*Helpful/personable/friendly staff

This is a place I will return to whenever business/pleasure travel brings me to the RTP/NC area. In fact, I will find a reason to return!

As a side note, we were in town b/c my husband was having surgery at UNC hospital. This hotel was an easy 10-min. drive to the hospital and the shuttle saved me time/hassle/parking money during the week.

I cannot praise this accommodation enough!!! EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family