“Very nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Alexandria, VA
“Very nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

This is a lovely hotel right downtown in Chapel Hill within walking distance of almost all restaurants and places you would want to see. Free parking. Old hotel building that has been completely renovated. very nice and comfortable. Never stayed at the historic Carolina Inn but this is a modern hotel in an historic buiding where you can leave your car behind and stroll the streets (literally two, I recall) was a wonderful choice. the restaurant looked nice but you'll want to sample the great cuisines in all the nearby restaurants. used this hotel as a base to explore CH, Durham, Raleigh. Worked peerfectly for all and was happy that we had picked CH as the base ( most charming).

Room Tip: Even the room overlooking the main street was quiet, maybe because it was summer.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Jay P, General Manager at The Franklin, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Hi there Tigercat1,

Thanks for your kind words about our hotel. We are all very glad you picked Chapel Hill as your base, and that you were happy with your choice to stay at The Franklin.

You're right that there are tons of great restaurant options just steps from our front door - so we always encourage guests to go sample the many cuisines available. But we'd love for you to try the complimentary cooked to order breakfast in our restaurant, Windows, next time you're with us. I recommend the French toast - it's terrific.

The summertime is usually pretty quiet in Chapel Hill. While that's a nice ambience, a visit during the fall will let you see how bustling this downtown is when it comes alive in the height of the UNC school session and football season. Hope you can make it back soon!

Take care,
Jay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Edisto Island, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

This was my third stay at this hotel though I considerate pricey I enjoy treating myself to it occasionally. The lobby is small but you can park on the very ground level covered parking and access a back entrance that takes you
directly to the elevator up to your room. I really like that degree of privacy a lot! There is a choice of room types ...to treat yourself stay in one of the larger king rooms overlooking Franklin Street. They have nice spacious enclosed balconies with
a table and chairs for four. The glass doors opening out to the balcony are heavy duty enough that you do not hear the noise from the busy street. Franklin street itself is another reason I like indulging myself in this hotel ! Right adjacent to The University of NC the Main Street is an eccentric mix of quirky shops( ie vintage clothing , used books, smoke shops,gift shops tee shirt emporiums, fancy linens, designer clothing .. Aveda spa .. Etc) the restaurants are too many to mention but there is every type food imaginable... All within easy walking distance ) if eating and browsing the funky shops isn't entertainment enough just take a seat on one of the benches, walk the beautiful UNC campus , and enjoy people watching!
Back at the hotel, the beds are uber comfy, the bathrooms

sleek and well stocked with thick fluffy towels and bathrobes and small touches that add an elegant yet homey feel. Last time I stayed I wanted to save a little money so I stayed in a mini king on the top floor backside overlooking a small parking lit and trees. The room is much smaller than the reg king but the balconies are just as nice and it is more of a serene setting. I also enjoy the layout of the lounges on each floor providing sofas and chairs in an open atrium design. A nice place to step out of your room to relax,read a book, meet up with friends, or catch up on work.
I unfortunately never had time to sample the cooked to order breakfast included in the price of my stay ,wishing the hours extended later into the morning.
I will be back to this very comfortable elegant quiet Boutique hotel ! Do book early if you are planning to visit during events at the university as they are usually sold out weeks sometime months in advance.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Jay P, General Manager at The Franklin, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Hi there vagabondCvilleva,

Wow, what a wonderfully detailed description you gave of The Franklin Hotel. We're so glad that you were able to enjoy all of the many amenities the hotel offers, and make use of the various spaces available to work and relax.

And since you seem fond of everything downtown Franklin Street has to offer, our unique location is the perfect fit for you!

We thank you so much for choosing our hotel again and again - we look forward to having you with us very soon.

Macomb, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I loved staying here. I was in town for only one night for a business meeting and I wish I could have stayed longer. The room was gorgeous. Everything was clean. It would have been wonderful to be able to use the balcony but the weather wouldn't cooperate (it rained the entire time I was there). The front desk and dining staff were friendly and the breakfast (which was included during my stay, but not entirely sure if that happens regularly) was great! I would recommend this hotel to anyone who visits Chapel Hill.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Hello mikeandstephtravel,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about The Franklin Hotel. Our mission is to make our guests fall in love with our hotel, so your use of the word "love" really got us excited! We hope that you'll get to enjoy some beautiful Chapel Hill sunshine on your next visit, and make good use of the balcony.

The hot, cooked to order breakfast is a favorite among our guests, and is always included in the room rate for all guests of The Franklin. We appreciate your vote of confidence in recommending our hotel to others visiting Chapel Hill.

We hope to see you again on a sunny day!
Winston-Salem
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I could get long winded about how nice this place is but I will just say that it exceed expectations in every way. From the moment I walked in I was welcomed. Even at check in I was asked what could possibly make this the best stay. I was lucky enough to be staying on the Holiday window display unveiling and lighting debut which made the visit very special. The room was immaculate and the morning full-service breakfast was perfect. I can't recommend this place enough. Stay here when in Chapel Hill...I know I will!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Jay P, General Manager at The Franklin, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
UltraStar175,

Thank for your positive comments about The Franklin Hotel. You certainly stayed during an exciting time when we were unveiling our holiday window displays. I'm glad we exceeded your expectations and look forward to having you with us again soon.

We appreciate your recommendation!

Thanks,
Asheville, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Watched this hotel being built. Then we move away from Chapel Hill. This visit back e decided to stay here. Great decision. Beautiful boutique hotel with great service. rooms great, small fitness center but great location.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
Jay P, General Manager at The Franklin, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Hi there iamstoked22,

Thanks for sharing your comments. I'm so glad that you came back to stay at The Franklin on your visit back to your old neighborhood, and that you enjoyed our central downtown location and service.

I know the fitness center is limited, but I hope that you found all the equipment and amenities to offer you just what you needed, and that you didn't have to wait to use anything. If there are any other arrangements we can make for you with fitness facilities on your next visit, please let us know so we can make it happen. You can contact me directly at jay@franklinhotelnc.com or your personal host (Kelly Lengyel) at kelly@franklinhotelnc.com.

Take care!
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

I just loved staying here. This was a quick stay for work and I felt right at home. Chapel Hill is such a great college town, and Franklin Street is full of great shops, places to eat and a little live music as well.

The staff here is so friendly and had a great dinner recommendation. They even had a sound maker delivered to my door because I mentioned I'm a light sleeper.

The rooms are great. A sofa, comfy bed and large stand up shower are standard here, as are tasteful lamps, a built in audio system and granite tops on the counters and a few furniture pieces.

This is much nicer than a Marriott or Hilton and also has great charm. Some of the room furnishings and finishes are teetering on being close to Ritz Carlton quality. I loved my stay.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ittessot
Jay P, General Manager at The Franklin, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Hello ittessot,

Thanks for your comments! No doubt that we love Franklin Street, but we really love when out of towners feel at home here.

It sounds like you were able to thoroughly enjoy all the hotel amenities as well as the local area. Glad you enjoyed the dining experience, and that the sound maker was helpful.

If you'd like to connect with your personal host (Kelly Lengyel, kelly@franklinhotelnc.com), she will be sure to make note of your information so that we can have the same machine ready for you on your future stays.

Sure hope to have you with us again!
Lewistown, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

The Franklin continues to be our favorite of several excellent properties in the Chapel Hill area. Its location and amenities (breakfast, weight room, service) are excellent. The staff is helpful, courteous, competent. The breakfast is different than the usual hotel/motel fare - quality food served to you.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Jay P, General Manager at The Franklin, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dave B,

Thanks for your comments - it's comforting to know that you consider The Franklin one of your favorites in the area, and that you continue to stay with us.

We'll keep working hard to make sure we never give you a reason to leave.

Hope to have you back soon!