The Franklin
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
The Carolina Inn(Chapel Hill)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
Chapel Hill InnTown(Chapel Hill)
  • Pool
View Hotel
Aloft Chapel Hill(Chapel Hill)
  • Pool
View Hotel
Chapel Hill University Inn(Chapel Hill)
View Hotel
Courtyard Chapel Hill(Chapel Hill)
View Hotel
All reviewsgreat locationpillow menumade to order breakfastparking garagewalking distanceboutique hotellovely hotelsmall hotelcollege townunc campuscookieseach morningrooms are spaciousking bedturn down servicedefinitely stay here againcarolina inn
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Franklin about a year ago now and I have been meaning to write a review. The whole experience there was wonderful. The service was outstanding by the bellmen. The guy working at the counter checking us in took a long time but we got to enjoy the bar/lobby area longer so it was ok. The room looked immaculate. The bathrooms were very clean. They even put rose pedals in a heart shaped pattern for us without me even mentioning anything. The place has a classy touch at every corner. We even considered getting married there at one point. The food was great as well. I highly recommend staying there for all UNC fans, visitors of Chapel Hill, and for all looking for a first class experience.

Room Tip: Definitely eat at the restaurant right across the street. The front desk will make an appointment for you.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dstadunc
Jay P, General Manager at The Franklin, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Hello dstadunc,

Thanks for your comments about your stay at The Franklin Hotel. It sounds like everything went just right for you when you and your wife were here. Since you didn't end up getting married here, maybe we can host you for an anniversary celebration one year!

Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 12, 2013

My wife and I planned a trip to NYC for our 20th anniversary that was cancelled at the last minute due to weather, cancelled flights, etc. We decided to do an impromptu trip over to Chapel Hill for the night. I booked a room at the Franklin Hotel. I stay at nice hotels all over the world for work and this one ranks right up there. Right on Franklin St, great service and a very nice room. After dinner and a walk on campus we returned to the room to find a bottle of champaign on ice and a card signed by everyone working at the hotel.

Breakfast included is very nice. Only thing I would do different is not book the balcony room. It has a four-foot concrete wall so you can't see Franklin Street if you are sitting at the table. Minor point but I always try to provide a balanced report. Great place with great service. Planning our next trip already.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Winston34

Dear Winston34,

Thanks for your comments about your stay with us in June. I can imagine how frustrated you must have been when your NYC trip got cancelled, so we were thrilled to step in and host you as an alternative.

You make a good point about our balconies - the walls make it difficult to enjoy the view when sitting at the current furniture arrangement. We are considering some touches to all balconies that would enable guests to use them more fully, and some taller furniture near the railings and walls is something we are considering. I hope we can have that addressed by the time of your next visit so you don't have to avoid the balcony room.

Again, we appreciate your feedback as it helps make the experience better for everyone!

Reviewed June 2, 2013

With friends visiting from Australia, we took a mini vacation from our home and booked 2 rooms at The Franklin Hotel, downtown Chapel Hill. The hotel is beautiful, quiet and elegant; the rooms offer a serenity through muted wall colors and luxurious bedding. The bathrooms are a good size with plenty of counter space for "stuff". Included in the room price is a complete made to order breakfast with many selections - definitely worth it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

LucyLuChapelHill_NC,

We're glad that we could be the retreat you were looking for on your mini vacation. We're honored that you trusted us enough to host your friends who were visiting all the way from Australia, and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Perfect stay and very luxurious hotel.The complaints that I see from other guests are unwarranted. It's a perfect location and great room! As nice as some Ritz Carltons that I've stayed at. The room was smaller but cozy. No tub in the room, but we were only there one night. I really enjoyed myself and the breakfastl.. holy cow! It was delicious and definitely fine dining! We hope to be back one day!

Room Tip: Ask for the side facing downtown. Beautiful sunset. :)
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Jay P, General Manager at The Franklin, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Hello Eliseccu,

Wow, that is high praise indeed! We're thrilled that you had a "perfect" stay, and will keep working to make it that way for all guests.

Can't wait to have you back with us.

Thanks for posting your feedback,
Jay

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Please don't misunderstand my review, the Franklin Hotel is a nice place to stay but simply didn't live up my expectations for a $250 per night suite. My suite was clean and comfortable but the hallway carpets were very dirty.The televisions worked well but the WIFI was unacceptably slow (slower than dial-up). The staff was extremely pleasant but each day housekeeping overlooked replacing something (washcloths, soap, trash bad, etc.). The breakfasts were good but over a long stay there weren't many options. I might try them again because of the fantastic location but I'd try a non-suite room and hope some improvements have been made.

Room Tip: If you need internet ask for a room or suite that is not on a corner of the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank NickHeckel

Dear NickHeckel,

Thank you for your feedback about your experience at The Franklin Hotel. I'm sorry that our services fell short of your expectations - you're right that $250 is a price that commands a heightened experience. In fact, we have a team right now that is dedicated to redesigning an enhanced suite experience at our hotel so we can deliver on the expectations that come with that price.

It appears though, that we messed up in a few key areas. The shampooing of our carpets are overdue, and thanks to your feedback we are scheduling that to be done in the next few weeks. And it is unacceptable that our housekeeping team forgot to refresh the basic items in your room. We will spend more time training to prevent this from happening.

I'm disappointed to hear that your wi-fi worked so slowly. We've invested heavily in our network hardware in the last couple of years, and are now taking a closer look at all areas of the hotel (especially the corners) to make sure everything is working properly.

Since we do offer the complimentary hot, cooked to order breakfast to all guests, we've been so focused on keeping the quality consistently great that we may have overlooked the lack of variety. We understand that this is important for longer stays, and will try to introduce some rotating options in the future.

We appreciate your willingness to try The Franklin again, and look forward to making these improvements and giving you a much better experience next time.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments!
Jay