“Expensive but overall good experience”
Review of The Franklin

The Franklin
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed at the Franklin Hotel while visiting UNC. The rooms are comfortable, clean and well decorated. The staff is very pleasant. I loved the location on Franklin St. We walked to campus easily even though it was cold outside. There were two negatives with our stay. The first was the cost of the rooms...we paid over two hundred dollars per night per room once taxes were added in...not sure the convenient location was quite worth it. The second was the size of the dining room for the "free breakfast." (Breakfast was included in the price of the room and it was fabulous..french toast, omelets, made to order eggs... not buffet style but in a dining room with a waiter.) Unfortunately, the dining room is small so we had to wait to be seated and then, in order to be seated together, we had to sit six people to a four person table. We had time to wait but I was annoyed. They should make their dining room larger. Overall, it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank buttercup16

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Something there is about a boutique hotel that blends an upscale decor and great with exceptional customer care and service. The location of the Franklin is terrific - walk out the front door and you're part of the Chapel Hill community. Staff members greet you warmly, but with a sense of personality and authenticity that is just plain refreshing. I experienced a " random act of kindness" at The Franklin that I"ll never forget. Thanks to the entire team at The hotel for reminding us what it feels like to be welcomed home.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Roberta B
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I reveiwed back in 2011. Spent last Thurs and Fri with wife for Valentine's Day. I did complain about the room size previously, but this time we had a larger and very nice room facing Franklin Street. (It was a little more expensive.) I have no negatives this time. The staff is especially good, friendly and efficient. Daniel at the front desk went the extra mile for me. About an hour or two prior to arrival, I called and asked if there was any way to get a bottle of champagne and a dozen red roses in the room prior to our arrival. To my surprise, they were there! And this was on Valentine's Day. Very impressive. Got a chance to visit the bar and took advantage of our free drinks and cheese plate, which made a perfect light lunch. Kudos to all the staff at the Franklin! My place to stay when in Chapel Hill.

Room Tip: Cheapest rooms are kinda small, but next level up are roomy.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jay P, General Manager at The Franklin, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to give us another review. We're so glad that you gave our hotel another chance, and that we were able to make a positive impression this time around.

Daniel is a committed to making each guest's experience special, and it's just like him to be able to pull together the champagne and flowers for you on Valentine's Day.

We look forward to having you with us again soon!

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed here for one night as part of a group block/event - not only is the location fantastic (right on Franklin Street - easy access to all the charm of campus and Chapel Hill), but the rooms are great (nicely decorated, new, quiet, comfortable bed) and everyone from the bell hop to the front desk team to the breakfast team were incredibly helpful and friendly.

As a perk, the hotel also has free parking, yummy cookies when you check in (if there are any left!), free wi-fi, and a cooked breakfast (the waffle was fantastic).

Room Tip: I suspect the rooms in the back (ie, not facing Franklin Street or facing the central lounges) are q...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I had the good fortune to be able to stay at the Franklin in Chapel Hill this past weekend...it continues to be one of my favorite hotels and I always look forward to being there. As always, I was greeted warmly at the front desk by David and Stephen, who genuinely seem to be happy to see me! I stayed in a different room this time and was completely happy with my self - imposed mix up (I requested the wrong room number). The bed was so comfortable and the room so pleasant that it's hard to leave! I slept wonderfully. Breakfast was simple yet very good as always, served by Neri, who is always very courteous and helpful. Had a quick drink the night before with my favorite barkeep, Bryan. The bar was active and busy...a tad loud with the live music, but it was fine. Friends were also staying in the hotel at my suggestion, for the first time. They really enjoyed it too. All in all, the Franklin doesn't disappoint! I love it!

Room Tip: balcony rooms overlooking franklin street are great
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank hockeymom016
Jay P, General Manager at The Franklin, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you for your kind words about The Franklin Hotel. Our job is to seek out the most dedicated and genuine individuals to serve you throughout your stay, and I am glad to hear that you felt both David and Stephen fit the bill.

I apologize about the volume of the music playing in our lounge. We're lucky to have such talented musicians play at the hotel, but I can completely understand how the live music could have interfered with your conversation in such a small space. I will meet with my team to find a more appropriate level of volume that will enable our guests to talk at a comfortable level while also giving our entertainers the flexibility to deliver a great experience to their fans.

We appreciate the opportunity to serve you and hope you will let us welcome you back soon!

Basia Wilzcek for the Welcoming Team, on behalf of Jay Patel

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed at the Franklin Hotel for the first time this past weekend. The front desk staff was very friendly and you could tell they would welcome any question you might have. The hotel parking was very convenient to the rear hotel entrance and was free (key card entrance gate for security). The king size bed was very comfortable and the room size, while not spacious, certainly met our needs. The only minor items I would bring up was that the toilet seat was loose (had to tighten it- something we read about in a previous posting on TripAdvisor) and I couldn't locate the "do not disturb" sign. Again, these are small issues that mgt will most likely address once they've read this. If you prefer to leave your car and walk to the many shops/ restaurants on Franklin Street, I can't think of a better hotel at UNC.

Room Tip: May want to stay on the back side, away from Franklin Street, during warmer weather if you prefer a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your warm comments about the Franklin Hotel! We really appreciate you taking the time to write such a nice review about us and we will definitely look into the issues you mentioned,

I have personally talked with our maintenance engineer and housekeeping coordinator to focus on fixing all loose toilet seats. We are also working on building a more effective way to inform our guests of all our room features, including the electronic Do Not Disturb light.

Again, we really appreciate your comments and are always open to improvements. We strive to provide you with the highest level of service and hospitality, and will not stop until we get there. We hope to see you at The Franklin Hotel sometime in the near future!

Basia Wilzcek for the Welcoming Team, on behalf of Jay Patel.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

If you are trying to stay right in downtown chapel hill in a trendy and convenient spot then this is your place. I live right down the street and still stayed here on my wedding night just to feel fancy. Of course, you only live once and it WAS my wedding night. The staff allowed me to drop off our over night bags ahead of time but they wouldn't put them in our room for us, s o we were left standing awkwardly at the front desk for a few minutes when we first got there late at night. Our balcony suite was big, clean and perfect. Huge shower and bathroom too. Overall the best hotel in Chapel Hill but you definitely pay for the incredible location. This is the only hotel on Franklin st.
Overpriced but worth it.

Room Tip: Choose a suite. The balconies look over Franklin Street.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Jay P, General Manager at The Franklin, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Luckytraveler1981,

Thanks for sharing your experience at The Franklin Hotel. We're so glad that our chose to stay with us on your wedding night, and that you enjoyed the wonderful spa shower in one of our suites. Very high praise indeed, to call us the best hotel in Chapel Hill!

I'm sorry that we did not get your bags into your room ahead of time as you needed. I can imagine how uncomfortable that would be when you're ready to get settled into your room after a long wedding day. Our team will talk about why we didn't make that happen for you, and we'll find ways to be more accommodating for similar requests in the future.

Even though you live right down the street, we hope you'll continue to treat yourself to a staycation at our place often!