“Why would you stay at the Carolina Inn?” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Franklin

The Franklin
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Nashville, Tennessee
“Why would you stay at the Carolina Inn?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2011

This was my fourth visit to Chapel Hill as the parent of a UNC student. This time we stayed at the Franklin. I have traveled all over the country and I have never had a better experience in a hotel. The room was lovely, the staff did exactly what we needed, the food was fantastic, the bar perfect. What amazed me was that it cost 1/2 of what the Carolina Inn was charging - including discount- and the service and food was much better. I will always stay here in the future. Kudos especially to Bryan in the bar.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cagirl63

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2011

My husband and I booked this hotel after getting tickets to a UNC men's basketball game. We wanted a hotel close to the campus and near all of the attractions of Chapel Hill. We were not disappointed. Situated on Franklin Street there was a seemingly endless selection of great restaurants and bars. It is just off of the UNC campus. The hotel was lovely and the staff attentive. We had a room with a balconly overlooking the main street. Surprisingly, it was not loud at night. The windows blocked out all of the street noise. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the Chapel Hill area.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2011

I wanted to love my stay at The Frankin Hotel - it is perfectly located in downtown Chapel Hill and has a lovely asthetic. Unfortunately, my stay was ruined by poor service from the front desk. We arrived at noon, hoping for an early check-in because we were going to a 2pm play. We were told that no rooms were clean and available but that the cleaning staff was working to clean rooms and turn them over. We were told there were 3 rooms ahead of us and would get the 4th room that because available. The woman at the front desk asked us to come back in an hour or so. We returned at 1:15pm. Again we were told our room was not ready and there were no clean rooms available. We quickly changed in the lobby restroom and we to the play. We returned at 5:30pm to check in to our room. Unbelievably, they still did not have a room available for us. Needless to say, we were beyond disappointed (and worried we wouldn't have time to change or would be late for our dinner out that evening - we were just late). Other than the wonderful bellcap Warren who had seen us throughout the day and sincerely apologized for the problems, there was no apology from anyone at the front desk or any explanation as to why they did not have a room available for us. In fact, it was only at Warren's suggestion that they gave us a free drink in the bar to try to make up for this hassle. Once in the rooms, they were fine and clean. However, we asked for a wake up call on the morning of our departure, and it never came. Luckily we had set our phone alarms or I fear we would have missed our morning flight. The front desk actually called 30 mins after our requested wake up call - as we were walking out - and I told them the wake up call had never come and they said only it should have. Again, there was no apology for the oversight. Overall, I cannot recommend this hotel based on our experience - the front desk bordered on incompetent and was wholly unapologetic for the problems we experienced.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MCR99
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2011

I was seriously blown away by the Franklin Hotel. We have stayed at the Carolina Inn before and other great hotels in New York, and nothing can come close to how amazing The Franklin was. We were greeted by very friendly staff and it was the easiest check in I've had. The hotel is clean to perfection. The room was extremely spacious and the bed was super soft. The private balcony was HUGE & amazing and I wish I had spent more time on it!!! This is a great room to entertain friends on the patio. The shower was perfect and hot & the amenities were wonderful (nicer quality soaps, etc). We decided to have drinks after dinner at the bar and the bartender was extremely nice and no one there acted pretentious. Everyone made us feel very welcome. We will definitely be returning for our next anniversary. Oh, and the breakfast is to die for..complimentary breakfast at the Windows restaurant... perfect french toast with bananas and blueberries and omelets.. oh my goodness, so delicious!

I would for sure skip over the Carolina Inn and stay down the road at the Franklin.. it's newer, nicer, and quieter.... you get way more for your money too. Oh and there's free parking.... at the Carolina Inn they rip you off and you have to pay $25!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2011

I travel weekly for business all over North America and this was a great hotel! There are compromises that you make when staying at a smaller hotel but it was very worth it. Examples: no charge for parking (they provide garage parking that's secure), free easy to access wifi all over hotel, free full breakfast for all guests. Those items alone will cost you a pretty penny and most hotels unless you're a member of their frequent guest programs. I like that it wasn't busy and still met all of my needs.

There's alot of complaints from reviews on here about small things but for the value and modern style of the hotel and excellent service it's a perfect place. In this economy a penny saved is a penny earned. I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed January 2011
Charlotte
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2011

I unfortunately had to stay at the Hotel Franklin for a visit at Chapel Hill. While they did not have a discounted rate for hospital stays, they did have a holiday rate of 139.00. It was a little more than I wanted to spend for one night, but decided to since it was close and they had a free cooked to order breakfast.
The hotel could not have been nicer. The rooms were very well done, and large. The beds comfortable, Alisha at the front desk was very helpful, she was sweet, and very accomadating when we couldn't get out TV to work. Breakfast was really good, although we did not have a long wait, it appeared that others may have.
I definately want to go back when it is for fun and explore Chapel Hill.
Great Hotel!!!

Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Pittsboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2011

Elegant accommodations in the heart of Chapel Hill. Suites are spacious and the beds are heavenly. Don't miss the breakfast overlooking famous Franklin Street.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Chapel Hill University Inn
#6 of 17 in Chapel Hill
Hampton Inn and Suites Chapel Hill / Durham Area
Hampton Inn & Suites Chapel Hill/Carrboro

Been to The Franklin? Share your experiences!