“Best Mexican I've had in the Triangle!”

Monterrey Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #46 of 309 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Since moving to the area we have been searching for a good Mexican restaurant and so far Monterrey is my favorite. They are certainly not the flashiest place I've been too but their food is very well made and the only thing I've had here that was not as good as I thought it could be was the chile releno - It was mushy, cold, and soggy with grease and was not even remotely close to how I'm used to it being prepared. Other than that, everything I've had has been fantastic, especially the fajita taco salad which is a personal favorite of mine. The staff is very friendly and the food reasonably priced. Another cool thing about this restaurant is that they have excellent drink specials - especially on the pitchers of beer. We go here often, probably two to three times a month which for us speaks volumes since we eat out only once or twice a week.

1  Thank amberforests

Reviewed March 6, 2014

This is one of our top three Mexican restaurants in our area. The food is well prepared and salsa some of the best. Friendly staff and quick service. My husband always orders a chicken dish and I always order a burrito and always consistent and delicious.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

We had dinner here as a family recently an our experience was poor.
Food: Standard food, large portions and nothing special. Everything from the salsa and chips to the tacos and nachos were regular and plain. There was no real flavor.
Ambiance: Standard taqueria decor, relatively clean, though it place is a bit dark.
Service: Surprisingly the service is excellent! They try hard and seem to care. They were always checking in and seemed eager to please their clients.
Overall, good if you in the area for a quick bite.

1  Thank Khaja
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Overall, not bad. Good chips and salsa. Quesadillas came out very soggy and put the overall rating if the restaurant down in my opinion. Good service.

1  Thank Mchum
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Mexican restaurants can be hit-or-miss anywhere, but are especially dicey outside of the southwest. I'm always a little apprehensive to try new places on the East Coast. Monterrey, while not overly impressive, was perfectly acceptable. I can't say much about the atmosphere as we sat outside on a stormy day. I was with my brother and his two small children, so the outside seating worked out great. I like that they have both large and small cafe tables on the sidewalk for outdoor dining. The service was friendly and attentive without being overbearing. Our server was very soft spoken, I'm not sure we would have been able to hear him inside. They immediately came out with warm chips and salsa. The salsa was presented in small carafes with bowls you could pour into as needed, a nice way to prevent salsa waste. It tasted fresh and had just enough kick without being too spicy. I ordered the California burrito (beans, steak, grilled onions, sour cream, served wet style covered in mole sauce). It was ok. I was disappointed that the steak was a little tough and the beans were refried and a little runny, but the flavor was good. It did not come with beans and rice, which I thought was a nice touch since they were inside the burrito anyway. I never understood the impulse to put more beans and rice beside something on a plate that was already mostly beans and rice. Overall, I thought Monterrey was ok and I would eat there again.