“Standard fare, great service”

Monterrey Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #59 of 296 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: Mexican
SF
“Standard fare, great service”
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

We had dinner here as a family recently an our experience was poor.
Food: Standard food, large portions and nothing special. Everything from the salsa and chips to the tacos and nachos were regular and plain. There was no real flavor.
Ambiance: Standard taqueria decor, relatively clean, though it place is a bit dark.
Service: Surprisingly the service is excellent! They try hard and seem to care. They were always checking in and seemed eager to please their clients.
Overall, good if you in the area for a quick bite.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Khaja

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Quesadilla soggy, chips and salsa good”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Overall, not bad. Good chips and salsa. Quesadillas came out very soggy and put the overall rating if the restaurant down in my opinion. Good service.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Mchum
“Good Mexican food.”
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Mexican restaurants can be hit-or-miss anywhere, but are especially dicey outside of the southwest. I'm always a little apprehensive to try new places on the East Coast. Monterrey, while not overly impressive, was perfectly acceptable. I can't say much about the atmosphere as we sat outside on a stormy day. I was with my brother and his two small children, so the outside seating worked out great. I like that they have both large and small cafe tables on the sidewalk for outdoor dining. The service was friendly and attentive without being overbearing. Our server was very soft spoken, I'm not sure we would have been able to hear him inside. They immediately came out with warm chips and salsa. The salsa was presented in small carafes with bowls you could pour into as needed, a nice way to prevent salsa waste. It tasted fresh and had just enough kick without being too spicy. I ordered the California burrito (beans, steak, grilled onions, sour cream, served wet style covered in mole sauce). It was ok. I was disappointed that the steak was a little tough and the beans were refried and a little runny, but the flavor was good. It did not come with beans and rice, which I thought was a nice touch since they were inside the burrito anyway. I never understood the impulse to put more beans and rice beside something on a plate that was already mostly beans and rice. Overall, I thought Monterrey was ok and I would eat there again.

• Visited May 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Not bad, not great”
Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

The salsa was a bit runny but had a good taste. The chimichanga tasted old like the chicken has been refrigerated for a day or perhaps 2. If the chicken has a fresher taste, the chimi would have been good, but as is, it was below average. The enchiladas were very good. So overall all I would rate this as average

1 Thank bapeljagr
New York City, New York
“Eaten over 100 times @ Monterray! Chapel Hill FAVORITE!”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Yes, it's true. I am not exaggerating when I say I've been there over 100 times. I CRAVE MONTERRAY when I've been away for too long.

It's the best authentic mexican food for SO cheap. Their chips and salsa are divine and their cheese dip takes the cake. Everything from their fajitas, enchilada, and arroz con pollo are AMAZING. Their margaritas are so cheap and they have great specials. The staff are ALWAYS so accommodating and their owner is so nice.

ARE YOU A CAROLINA FAN? Not to mention that I've seen Roy Williams there multiple, multiple times, as well as Butch Davis and countless UNC football and basketball players...Hansbrough, Zeller, you name it. Monterray is a favorite for many, including me!!!

Chapel Hill would not be the same without this neighborhood gem.

• Visited February 2013