“Great place to stay, especially for a sporting event at UNC.”

Courtyard Chapel Hill
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Fairfax, VA
“Great place to stay, especially for a sporting event at UNC.”
Reviewed September 6, 2009

We love Courtyards and this one is no exception. This is a fabulous hotel... friendly and helpful staff, comfortable and clean room with FREE wifi (this seems to be a new Marriott feature!). They also have a full restaurant and room service. This Courtyard is bigger than most and my only complaint might be that the rooms don't have balconies or patios like most Courtyards.

The best part about staying here in Chapel Hill is the convenient Tarheet Express shuttle to the Dean Dome directly across the street from the hotel at the Friday Center. We walked over from the hotel and for $5 each got taken directly to the Dean Dome (for the UNC Alumni Basketball game), dropped off in front of the arena and picked up and brought back to the Friday Center. The Tarheel Express runs for all home basketball and football games. Details can be found at http://www.townofchapelhill.org/index.aspx?page=752.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank TBGBoodler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
north carolina
Reviewed August 31, 2009

Miss Crystal and her wonderful staff made my stay relaxing in an otherwise stressful situation. The hotel was clean, the rooms comfortable. the food delicious! Since this was my fourth stay in 1 month--each time I came back I felt like I was coming home!
Thank you!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Nebraska
Reviewed August 2, 2009

Clean hotel-nice staff but...
Rooms do not all have a Frig which at this price point is a real miss
No Free breakfast-again a real miss
Location to UNC Campus is good
Proximity to supermarket and a few eateries also good
Would look for a better value to cost ratio the next time I visit Chapel Hill

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 25, 2009

This would be my favorite hotel in Chapel Hill if I could get any work done. I have to be able to quickly check email download and upload documents, etc. The throughput on internet traffic at this hotel makes working nearly impossible.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
near Philadelphia
Reviewed June 24, 2009

First, as a leisure guest, I don't know how I could have managed as a business traveler needing to use the desk. The desk chair, one of those swivel varieties that are found in most offices these days, did not swivel high enough for me to reach the desk comfortably. I tried to adjust it, but to no avail. I called the front desk to see about getting either help or a replacement. Someone responded promptly, but he told me that this was as high as the chair could go. He also said that this is the only type of chair they have in the hotel and that he's gotten complaints before. The only person who could comfortably use the desk would be one with very short legs and a very long torso! (I'm just the opposite!)

Here's the other complaint I had. When I entered the room and flipped the light switch just inside, a light went on just above a little coffee shelf just inside the room. (Never having acquired a taste for coffee or any other hot drinks, I can't for the life of me understand why it is such an essential part of so many people's lives!) There was an overhead light fixture in the entrance foyer, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to turn it on. I finally realized that the switch inside the door was supposed to turn this one on in addition to the one above the coffee shelf. Obviously, or so I thought, the foyer lightbulb was burned out. I mentioned this to the front desk the night we checked in, which was a Friday. They promised to take a look while we were out to dinner. When we returned, the desk clerk told us that it was a loose wire that an electrician would have to replace the next day.

The next day, before we left for the event for which we were in the area, we reminded the front desk about the loose wire. When we returned, it had not been fixed. The explanation we got was that this was likely not something that could be done on a weekend.

To be honest, the burnt-out light really did bother me. I was almost, but not quite, at the point of requesting a different room for that second night. We were too settled-in, however, to want to pack everything and move.

The Internet service, both in the room and on the lobby computers, was intermittent, with frequent loss of connection.

We had a squeaky closet door in our room that did get oiled.

At least one of the two of us was in our room continuously until 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, with the Privacy Please sign stuck in the key slot in the door. We got a notice from Housekeeping saying that they would do a complete room clean if we let the front desk know by 1:00. While some may have been insulted by such a note, we appreciated being told what time was the cut-off for getting our room completely cleaned, instead of just having housekeeping change the linens.

Even after telling the front desk that our room was ready to be cleaned at 12:30, our used drinking glasses were not replaced with clean ones. The front desk replaced them for us after we went downstairs to get them.

As for the room, it was otherwise comfortable. I had the breakfast the first morning, but we had an early plane to catch the second morning. After I expressed disappointment at not having the light wiring problem fixed, the front desk clerk wanted to give us free breakfast vouchers for the next morning, but as I said, we had to leave too early to use them. Unlike some hotel buffets, because this one is not free, customers have to wait to be shown to a table by a hostess, wait to actual give the order for the buffet, wait for a waffle or something else to be made to order ("just two minutes" turned out to be more than that), and wait to be presented with a check. All of this is normal for a sit-down restaurant, and southern hospitality is slower than what I'm accustomed to up north. With a drive to the airport that included refueling of a rental car and turning that car in at a facility not inside the airport terminal, I didn't want to take all of that time to eat breakfast.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Cheraw, SC
Reviewed May 26, 2009

When I stay in the Chapel Hill area on my own this is generally my first choice hotel. Great staff, good location, lots of little extras - a lending library, fireplace in the lobby, etc.

This time, for the first time, I had an issue with cleanliness in the bathroom. The staff were great, and immediately re-cleaned the room - on a Saturday night!

Lots of easy parking, and also on the bus route to campus and downtown Chapel Hill. Plus they have hotel vans that will take you places.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed April 22, 2009

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. The room was spacious and clean and I had a comfortable king size bed. They have free wireless internet which is nice. What I really like is that I could keep the room cool at night. They have a fitness room which is average, and an indoor pool which is small. The breakfast buffet is good for $8.95, but I was surprised that they don't have room service for breakfast, only for dinner. The location is close to the University, but you need a car to get around.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business