“Very good!”
Review of Carolina 1663

Carolina 1663
Reserve with OpenTable
Carolina 1663 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #126 of 293 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Carolina 1663, a top-rated restaurant near Franklin St. Chapel Hill, offers sophisticated Southern food made exclusively with local produce, fresh seafood and locally raised meat and poultry. In order to provide our diners with the freshest ingredients available, our menu changes seasonally.This means will your meal taste great and that you're likely to find great new treats whenever you dine with us. From our Creole-influenced shrimp and grits with kielbasa and bacon to our house-made sweet potato cheesecake, Carolina 1663 specializes in serving an authentic and healthy Southern culinary experience with a contemporary flair that makes dining in Chapel Hill an experience you won't want to miss. Located within the Sheraton Chapel Hill, Carolina 1663 is a Southern delight and a leading Chapel Hill restaurant.
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Very good!”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I didn't realized they had changed the restaurant from Shula's but since we were here we decided to try it. Nice selection on the menu and not as pricey as previous menu. I had the Shrimp & Grits - Excellent - Loved every bit of it. We also had the Pecan Chicken - another very choice. I recommend trying their new menu. Very good. The service was also very good! Thank you - we'll be back

• Visited August 2013

Seattle
“If you're going to open a restaurant - then you need to know how to run it..”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

The only reason we went to here, as it was in the Chapel Hill Sheraton - and we were going to catch an early flight the next morning. Big mistake. This place used to be a Shula's - but he closed it for probably a good reason earlier in 2013.. Then it opened under another name, and now its this "1663" place. Still has the Shula signature sports framed photos, wood paneling and the like - but the ground out the metal floor plates to remove Shula's logo/name.

Service seemed to be run by teenagers who never served before, and they had trainees following these young guys.... The menu was "southern" so we tried something that reasonably impossible to mess up - and they did. I'm not sure how calamari steak could taste like pork, the equivalent of popcorn shrimp wasn't good - and the icing was the absolutely inedible shrimp and grits with sausage.

When my order came out, I thought the red "liquid" surrounding my grits and shrimp was a seasoning - what it was - was grease, and the grease/fat permeated the grits so much it hardened when you put it in your mouth. I was able to scrape off and rescue the shrimp on the top and sausage pieces off to the side and ate that. The manager, or something like that came by and asked how things were - I was a bit blunt and told him that there was too much grease/fat in the dish, and he walked away never to be seen again. Our kid waiter did take the dish off our bill... but still the sight of that mess is in my head.

If you're going to open a restaurant, especially after its been thru at least 2 owners in the past 4-6 months, maybe you'd understand why they sold or went out of biz and correct that. Having a potential discomfort from the food served, and continued word of mouth reviews of the poor quality... well.... and I'd also see what the Sheraton management has to say about a place like this in one of their hotels...

Don't go in there unless you have no other place to go... There's a MickeyD's about a block away (hint).

For those of you who've read my reviews, I'm pretty honest about the quality, ambiance and the like of places I go to and like, don't like or give an average rating to. This is the worst place I've been to in this class of places.

• Visited August 2013