“Good southern comfort food”
Review of Mama Dip's

Mama Dip's
Ranked #35 of 292 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Mooresville, NC USA
“Good southern comfort food”
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

Nothing fancy, just good basic southern comfort soul food. Try the fried chicken and any of the delectable sides. I recommend the fried okra.

Southeastern, NC
“It's pretty good”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Being from the south and I cook southern food a whole lot; I found it just kind of bland for southern cuisine. The chicken and pastry that I ordered was cooked with boneless skinless chicken breast which to me just doesn't have any flavor. Other than that it was pretty good. I would highly recommend this restaurant to someone who did not grow up in the South. The service is outstanding though and it has a good ole southern atmosphere.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank UnbiasedTruth
Timberlake, North Carolina, United States
“Good food... atmosphere LOUD!!”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We went to Mama Dip's for the first time and just loved the food!! Service was good, but our waiter may have been new. A group of women arrived about 1/2 through our meal and they got obnoxiously LOUD!! We commented THREE times to our waiter about the loud volume. Looking around the restaurant was quickly emptying. Our take out box did not arrive so we took the basket of yummy sweet tater biscuits to the counter and were all but ignored. Finally I got someone's attention and received a box into which I put our leftovers. Our check never arrived so we approached cash register. The loud group was mentioned to which the owner's niece responded that we should have come to get her about the situation. WHAT?? We paid and left feeling we most likely had paid for someone else's food too.

• Visited October 2013
Powder Springs, Georgia
“Average Southern Food”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We had high expectations since a foodie highly recommended this restaurant. My initial thought as a southerner was that I definitely cook better fried chicken, turnips, and macaroni and cheese at home. The side items portion sizes were small compared to the price. The chicken and dumplings were delicious.

Would I return? Maybe - We may need to go back to try some other menu items.

Friendly staff was very attentive - the restaurant is not fancy at all but appeared to be clean.

• Visited October 2013
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Best Sweet Potato Biscuits!!!!!”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

While we were in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area, we visited Mama Dips. It is the best southern soul food we've had. We went for breakfast one morning and I had the fried catfish, grits and eggs with sweet potato biscuits. It was the best for just pennies for what you get. Just outstanding. We enjoyed the biscuits so much we went back the next day before we headed home for more. This time, I had barbecue chicken, mac and cheese with fried squash and some more of those sweet potato biscuits. Trust me, you won't go wrong eating there. Also, you may be able to meet Mama Dip in person. We did...what an added treat.

• Visited September 2013