“Average”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Tried the world famous fried chicken and will have to give it an average. No better or worse than most and sadly nothing really special. This is southern "home" cooking that I would place in the middle average of most typical southern home style restaurants.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Don't waste your time at Momma Dips..anyone who says it's GREAT, must be a ''City Slicker", and doesn't know much about southern cooking...way over priced, but, what do you expect, in Chapel Hill. a Liberal School..hummm, has nothing to do with this Subject...well, unless the owners are die hard Liberals, who really don't know about cooking...Now, that I have placed a Negative Review.... I shall go down south for some real home cooking....

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Comfort food for our family! The fried chicken is unbeatable. Great side dishes and desserts. Good BBQ too. They tend to get very busy.

1  Thank jfran
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We are visiting the Chapel Hill area from Seattle. During our visit we have been to many fine establishments that provided outstanding food and Service. We read that Mama Dips was a place to not be missed during our visit. Unfortunately, we were definately misguided. The food was mediocre at best and the service was a complete disaster. We were treated by the "so- called" Hostess as if we were putting her out by even being there. The daily specials on the board advertised the meal came with Tea, however, when the bill arrived we were charged $2.95. When we questioned this we were very rudely told that Mama Dip has decided to now charge for for the tea. We asked why it advertised that way on the daily special and she didn't even acknowledge our question. So much for Southern Hospitality, this place has definately lost sight of that. All I can say is don't waste your time here when so many other outstanding places are in the area.

2  Thank Karen W
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I was born/raised in the South, North Carolina to be specific. I had never eaten here but we were meeting friends from out of town who wanted to try it. We were there for lunch and surprised at not only the prices but also portion size and quality. The average entree was $13.95 which includes 2 vegs and bread. Their famous fried chicken was just OK, vegs were not like I am used to coming from a Southern raised family. Five of us at our table and two of us ask for biscuits, we received exactly two small biscuits which were not as good as my homemade biscuits. Gratuity automatically added for parties of 5 or more which also is unusual. Desserts that others raved about were also mediocre compared to mine and I am just a good cook, not excellent as you would expect they would be. Total bill for two of us for meat, 2 vegs, 2 biscuits, dessert came to $43.83. I can think of others places where I would much prefer to spend that amount, especially for lunch! Save yourself the trip. Sorry folks that raved about this but I am being honest, even the sweet tea was not even what I consider sweet tea.

2  Thank krwatts