“Awesome Biscuits”

Ranked #5 of 299 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Bigger Better Biscuits for Breakfast and Lunch! In brief, Sunrise was established in 1978 in Louisburg, NC (actually 1977 but that is a longer story) and has been responsible for providing Bigger Better Biscuits for Breakfast and Lunch ever since. Our biscuit recipe is based on my Grandmother's recipe. Her biscuits helped give her the stamina to give birth to 17 children and live to almost 100. Our Award-Winning Chapel Hill location is a Drive-Thru Only Restaurant for your convenience. The Louisburg location features a Drive-Thru option as well as seating. Our regular customers particularly value our great food and fast, friendly service. In addition to biscuits, we also serve hamburgers and hot dogs. Our sandwiches include barbecue, chicken salad and tuna salad (chicken and tuna salad in Chapel Hill only and made on-site). A real southern treat is our sweet tea. Come by soon! Our Chapel Hill restaurant is located at: 1305 East Franklin Street Chapel Hill, NC 27514 (919) 933-1324 Our Louisburg restaurant is located at: 208 S. Bickett Blvd. Louisburg, NC 27549 (919) 496-2609
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Visited a friend in Chapel Hill and during some free time decided to create to create myself a chicken biscuit challenge by trying the Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen to the Time Out Cafe at the same time. While the chicken biscuit from Sunrise was much smaller and lacked the cheese Time Out came with, it hands down was the winner. The biscuit was uber fresh and flaky, the chicken while small was hot and delicious. I was surprised to see a long line of cars at the place (which poured onto and blocked the street itself) however it moved quickly and after trying the food, no wonder the place was packed.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

As an out-of-state visitor, Sunrise was definitely a novelty. The only drive-thru places I'm used to serving breakfast are fast-food joints like McDonald's and doughnut shops, so the concept of a "real" breakfast without leaving the car sounded like fun. When we pulled up and the line to get to the window was out into the street, I thought maybe we'd made a poor decision.

I was wrong. The line moves pretty quickly, and even if it didn't, the food was worth waiting for.

I usually don't like ordering biscuits for breakfast because it's hard to find them done right (at least in the north), but the biscuit I got from Sunrise was moist and delicious. I had a breakfast platter, and the eggs, bacon, and hash browns were also tasty, but the biscuit was the real star of the show. So, so good!

Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

Nothing like getting into Carolina from Chicago and bite into a southern chicken biscuit! On game days such as today...both women and mens basketball games that bring us to town; the drive through line can be 15 cars deep! Get ready to sink your teeth into a huge, very buttery and tastey biscuit. My husband gets the sausage, egg and cheese biscuit combo while I stick with the country chicken biscuit. It is great value for a very filling breakfast meal. This place only offers walk up service or drive through. Dont let the long lines scare you off...great service and the line goes fast. Worth stopping when you come to town to support the Womens Tar Heels!!!

1  Thank Kim L
Reviewed November 24, 2013

For starters its a drive-thru.I drove past this place countless of times during my visit and it appears to be closed so check the hours.Scrumptious biscuit breakfast sandwiches although I didn't care for their coffee.They could make up for that somewhat if they had freshly squeezed orange juice..

Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

So we didn't realize it was a drive in -I am not a fan. But as we were waiting we saw many smart regulars dash in a door just to the left of the window and emerge almost immediately with their food. We wish we saw that entrance. As others have said the food is delicious if not exactly "health food" but it was a tasty indulgence. Their prices are unbelievably low - and other than the line up of cars they are very fast.