“Not as good as I remember”
Review of Crook's Corner

Crook's Corner
Ranked #20 of 298 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We first ate here about 12 years ago and really liked it. We moved here and have been a number of times over the years and generally liked it. Had dinner there last night and it was ok. The menu actually lacked much excitement or variety. I had the steak - it was very good. My wife had the pasta and she thought it was average. Desserts were good and wine selection quite good....just a lack of choice on the menu. We had 2 glasses of wine each, dessert, entres and 2 salads and it came out to be about 140 w/ tip.

There are newer reviews for Crook's Corner

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Five stars for this place if you can sit on the (somewhat heated) patio. Maybe three if you have to sit inside, where the noise level is close to intolerable. This is the Mother Church of "New Southern Cuisine" and Chef Bill Smith has wisely kept many of Bill Neal's classic dishes on the menu: shrimp and grits, pimento cheese and pepper jelly, etc. But Smith deserves full credit for his own additions to the menu likt honeysuckle sorbet (in season) and classic Southern cakes. The only let-down I've experienced in many visits is the "barbecue," which comes from Bullock's in Durham and is untouched by wood smoke. How a restaurant this good can serve mediocre barbecue -- especially when Keith Allen is less than 5 miles away -- is beyond me. But you don't have to order it, and everything else is damn near perfect.

1  Thank Porcophile
Reviewed July 2, 2013

This was my first visit to Chapel Hill and a friend recommended Crook's Corner. I was not impressed. The service was okay and the food was average. I am a fan of Shrimp & Grits so if it is my first time visiting a restaurant and they have it on the menu I will give it a try. The server said they were known for their Shrimp & Grits so I gave them a try at $22.00. Please understand I am no food critic but in my opinion these were the worst Shrimp & Grits I ever tasted. My companions had burgers and fries and their food was good. i would recommend you try the jalapeno hush puppies, they were great. The atmosphere in the restaurant was average at best. If you are in town I would rate this place a "Skip It".

2  Thank Alan_McWhirter
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Had brunch there on a Sunday. No room on the patio so we were inside. Revisiting old favorite, from 20+ years ago.
Fluffy omelet with fresh asparagus and salad substituted for the potatoes. My wife who is an excellent cook and very discerning eater had short stack of pancakes w/ bacon and an egg. I am always nervous when she orders pancakes at a place I pick because she has very high standards, not often met. She loved them, light with no undercooked doughy spots. Wonderful warm syrup.
Waiter was good, easy and welcoming manner and attentive service. The kitchen had a little trouble getting dishes out at the same time, the pancakes and omelet came out he same time but there was a 5 minute wait for the egg and bacon. Quality made up for the wait.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Had a wonderful graduation dinner here. The cracker plate with pimento cheese and pepper jelly was an excellent start. Tuna was nicely done, grits were wonderful. A little challenging for two 6 year old boys, but we made do with a hamburger and french fries. DO NOT MISS the honeysuckle sorbet - somewhat expensive, but like nothing you have ever had before. The lemon pie with a saltine crust was also really good. Very generous with the whipped cream