“Very Disappointed -- Food Not Good”

411 West Italian Cafe
Ranked #9 of 293 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Washington, DC
“Very Disappointed -- Food Not Good”
Reviewed July 8, 2010

During a recent visit to the Fearrington House Country Inn 411 West was recommended to us and it was a huge disappointment and all fronts. Think cafeteria quality food and wine, both of which are limited in selection. The wine list was poor and the food was worse. I had a sea bass special that I had to send back because it was rubbery and overcooked. This was substituted with the chicken parmesan that was tasteless and accompanied by unrefined penne pasta in red sauce with overcooked mushrooms. My partner had the rib eye and it was fatty and overcooked. The dinner’s highlight – the fries that accompanied the steak. Enough said. I don’t recommend eating here unless it is your only option.

anywhere for a good meal
“Finally, A Chapel Hill Restaurant That Lived Up To Its Reputation”
Reviewed February 20, 2010

I'm told this place has been here a very, very long time...so that should give you some hope that they would do things right. And they did. I must admit, there is a possibility that I have lowered my expectations a bit after a very disappointing trip to Lantern, and good but not great experiences at Elaine's, Il Palio, Vespa, Four Square and several others...but 411 West is all it was cracked up to be. Started at the bar...a very lively place to start...where the service was prompt, and reception welcoming (we went without reservations...okay for early, not okay for later). Waited just 15 minutes for a tabe, had a wonderful wait person, very good wine by the glass, excellent calamari appetizer (we consider ourselves experts at calamari...we've ordered it everywhere for 40 years)..theirs was top notch. She had a walnut and pear salad over field greens with shrimp; I had their Caesar with shrimp..both were excellent...and even the small plate version we ordered filled us up nicely. We went just for the experience and light fare, and we'll go back for the full monty, but from what we saw being served around us, and vibe in this place...we have a nice feeling of anticipation for our return. Go there. I think you'll like it as much as we do. Add this place to Pancuito in nearby Hillsborough as my two favorites so far. A foodie's work is never done!

Atlanta, Georgia
“Good, not great”
Reviewed October 4, 2009

The service was excellent at this restaurant and the food was okay but not great. We had scallops that were drenched in balsamic vinegar, and a pasta dish that was pretty tasteless. The prices were a bit steep for the quality of the food although the atmosphere was friendly.

Virginia
“Fantastic food.”
Reviewed July 28, 2009

I took my daughter there after her college orientation. It was a recommendation from a frequent diner. Our dinner was delicious. I ordered one of the specials containing rockfish, my favorite fish. I live where they are regularly caught and haven't had it that good yet. It was expertly prepared. My daughter ordered appetizers for dinner and loved everything. Service was great and the prices were what we would expect for such a great dinner. Highly recommended.

North Carolina
“Popular bar, mediocre Italian food”
Reviewed June 28, 2009

The service is spotty, the food mediocre, both lunch & dinner menus uninspiring -- why is this place so popular? Is it the open brickwork? Reputation? Beats me.

I'm just glad this place siphons off customers that would otherwise be going to better eateries in the area.