“Left feeling happy and full”

411 West Italian Cafe
Ranked #13 of 313 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We were in Chapel Hill for our son's graduation from UNC and, of course, needed a restaurant for each meal of the weekend. We were a party of 5 with a reservation for Friday night dinner on what might have been one of the busiest weekends of the year. Our reservation was honored promptly, so we didn't make use of the lovely bar area.
We were very pleased with the ambiance and our table.
I felt that the place was just right for either end of the dining spectrum. It had lovely decor, yet not at all stuffy. The menu included individual pan pizzas, which would make it a place you could certainly bring the kids. The service was professional and accommodating. (The waiter was happy to take photos for us.) We ordered a bottle of the house Pinot Grigio and it was very good. My husband ordered some sort of citrus cocktail with vodka, and said it was delicious.
For entrees, 2 of us ordered salmon (and loved it), one carbonara pasta dish (also excellent), chicken parm for the finicky graduate (a thumbs up- which says a lot), and I ordered the steak. (It came out too rare for me, but after I sent it back to be cooked a little further, it was perfect.)
A few of us ordered dessert. As per my norm, I ordered the most chocolatey offering, a special that night, and with a scoop of strawberry ice cream on top, it was very good. One of us ordered a flight of small dessert portions, a newish trend, and it was a nice way to taste a variety of sweets.
All in all, 411 West is a great choice for a range of dining experiences, from "a step above casual" to a lovely impressive meal. Our only regret is not having found it until Graduation weekend. We could have been enjoying it for 4 years; it would definitely have been our go-to place.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

When we lived in Durham 411 West on Franklin St. was our favorite bar/restaurant....always started with martini's at the bar.....great bar....drinks were the best in the area....followed by great meals. We made reservations and when we walked in the place was bustling and packed....we were seated within 2 min.....amazing. Great service and great staff.....only thing that some might object to is that the atmosphere is "active".....everyone is having a good time and the "happy volume" might be up a bit.....we loved this part....always very alive. Love 411 West!

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Ate with my wife and a friend. My chicken pizza was bland at best. The other two meals were good an very good. Grillled Salmon was good, the carbonaira was very good. Service was ok.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

It's not that the restaurant really did anything wrong or that the food was particularly awful, but my meal definitely left something to be desired. The menu is far too big, and the food was average at best. The decor is tacky and could use a facelift. Service was friendly and fast enough. Being from a city with many restaurants serving quality Italian food, I left half my serving on the table. Has an East Side Mario's kind of feel

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I had hands-down one of the best meals I've had in Chapel Hill here. The bread is tasty, pasta is freshly made, and sauces are fantastic. The wine list is a bit pricey, but that is to be expected in downtown Chapel Hill. They have a nice selection and a menu that is reasonably priced considering the quality.

The restaurant is lovely, if a little bit loud and crowded. The atrium area in the back seems to be the quietest, so that would be best if you're looking. Service can be slow, but the food comes out quickly regardless of at what time you're visiting.