“No frills breakfast that hits the spot”

Ye Olde Waffle Shoppe
Ranked #45 of 300 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

I was in the mood for pancakes so my husband, and I decided to give this place a try. I was really happy with my blueberry pancakes. They are about 8" in size so I opted for the stack of two. They had just enough sweetness that I didn't need syrup.
The decor is probably original and very simple. So if your are looking for a fancy or upscale place, this isn't it.
Service was friendly and fast. Pancakes were brought to our table hot off the griddle.
Tip: bring a sweater because the place is kept really cold and they don't serve hot chocolate in the summer.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stopped here for breakfast while in Chapel Hill visiting colleges with the family. Narrow storefront on Franklin. Promptly seated early on a Saturday morning, busy but not too crowded. Attentive, friendly service. Went with waffles. Food arrived quickly. Kids loved the M&M waffles, thought it was a fabulous idea. Blueberry waffles had fresh delicious berries on top only-would be nice if cooked inside too. Waffle combo came w one egg-had it perfectly scrambled and 2 slices of bacon with waffle. Not as cheap as Waffle House but quaint and delicious.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Although this is supposed to be a Chapel Hill institution, we had hoped for better. Food was OK, but nothing special. Who serves margarine for breakfast instead of butter?

Reviewed May 26, 2013

I found this restaurant on a list of the top 50 breakfast locations in the US. While in Chapel Hill for a graduation a chance came to sample Ye Olde Waffle Shop the day after the events.
The restaurant was not crowded and we were seated promptly. Service was excellent and our server very attentive.
The menu is typical waffle house style with a few upscale items like Eggs Benedict and Florentine. My partner was very pleased with the Eggs Florentine. Nicely prepared visually and tasty. I had a Spanish omelet which had a nice blend of peppers and tomatoes.
Overall the experience was pleasant, food and service great. I expect the nostalgia factor helped make the top 50 list but we would return.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

So you are in Chapel Hill and you want a quick breakfast or breakfast for lunch? GO HERE!!! Service is always pleasant and fast; surprisingly bigger inside than small storefront would suggest and the menu has everything on it for breakfast you'd want. Omelets? Yup. Pancakes? Yup. Hashbrowns (and they'll even make them dark)? Yup. I could go on and on but you get the idea. Mom and I love going the after an early doctors appointment. Those that pan this place are not taking the local 'color' into the equation. Much better than the chain. Some people just don't know local and expect everything to be like a big box!