“Really good Q with a kick”
Review of Allen & Son Barbecue - CLOSED

Allen & Son Barbecue
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed October 24, 2018 via mobile

Got into second bite when I hit my first pepper seed and WOW. The hush puppies were good and the slaw creamy with a vinegar after taste.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed September 21, 2018

If you are looking for a great example of NC BBQ you will not go wrong at Allen and Sons. Their BBQ is consistently good and their side dishes are always great. I would put their fried okra at a top of the list option and their ice tea is simply great. I have always eaten their pulled pork BBQ so I cannot offer an opinion on their other main dishes but who goes to a BBQ restaurant to order anything else? If you want a great plate of BBQ with great side dishes and you know NC BBQ this is a place that I would drive out of my way to visit again and again!

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed June 21, 2018

Allen & Sons, as I understand it, is a Carolina barbecue institution. The location gives a real small town feel and is a little off the beaten path. The servers and cooks seem very disinterested in providing a pleasurable experience. They weren't rude but they seemed to be more interested in standing around than serving. The barbecue was fine but unmemorable. The service was slow which irritated our whole family. I don't think we'll come back

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed April 18, 2018 via mobile

Whoever wrote glowing reviews of this place did not eat there today. BBQ was bordering on crunchy, hush puppies were burnt and coconut chess pie was not only burnt but was not recognizable as chess pie and just had a pinch of Baker’s shredded coconut on top.

I’ve eaten BBQ for about 65 years and have visited most of NC’s famous eateries. I had heard/read good things about this restaurant and went to some trouble to get there. My wife, who loves BBQ, took a couple of bites before throwing in the towel. I kept applying their sauce in hopes of improvement...alas, all was in vain.

Date of visit: April 2018
3  Thank LostInSpace
Reviewed April 5, 2018 via mobile

Allen & Son was one of the best restaurants my wife and I have ever visited anywhere in America. The pork BBQ plate was a masterpiece of generous pork with outside skin mixed in, the best sweet hushpuppies you’ll find anywhere, creamy white coleslaw and a warm, fresh yeast roll. My wife had a cheeseburger, a huge fresh beef and melty cheese combo on a soft bun. And the pies we tried—blueberry and chocolate, each with ice cream—were without a doubt homemade and fresh as well. The service was friendly and helpful. The Coke came in a bottle, and as my wife said, ‘the tea bags clearly steeped for quite some time.’ We like tea to taste like tea, and it did! A+ rating from us on everything at Allen & Son!

Date of visit: April 2018