“Overpriced and really not that great”

Allen & Son Barbecue
Ranked #60 of 309 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Allen and Son is well-known and recommended in the Chapel Hill area. I have to say though that my food wasn't great and my meal was quite overpriced. Got the barbeque plate and the BBQ was kind of dry and tough with some gristle mixed in, the coleslaw pretty good, and the hushpuppies just flat disappointing. Did get the chocolate pie for dessert which was pretty good if somewhat too sticky-sweet. "Homemade" ice cream with the pie was hard and not very good. Bill (for lunch) was $20. So despite all the fuss, I'd say over-priced and over-hyped. There are better BBQ places in the area (better food and value), including Q-shack and Bullocks. Start there, not here.

3  Thank hokierick

Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is wonderful North Carolina bbq and is off the beaten path. Well worth trying to find. Had BBQ plate and was so tasty. Give it a try.

2  Thank Jerrie10
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was my second time here. The first time was last year and I had to go back this year! Great bbq and hush puppies and coleslaw! Locally owned! Pecan Pie to die for. Will go again next year!

1  Thank sburk2112
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Barbecue fans always have their favorites. I know Allen & Son is a local favorite. I'd never turn it down but I wouldn't go out of my way to pick some up.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

They have a delicious barbeque plate- but their banana pudding is the best and freshest I've ever eaten in my life. My husband ordered the hamburger steak and he said it was excellent. The deep fried pickles are good too. All around, it is a great place to eat.

3  Thank UnbiasedTruth