“Perfectly spiced, tasty Mediterranean food--and organic, healthy, too.”
Review of Talullas

Talullas
Reserve with OpenTable
Talullas is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 293 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Roberson Street
Description: When you walk through the shadowed glass doors of Talulla's, an instant transformation begins to occur. Your mind and body begin to relax. Your ears pick up on the eclectic mix of music. Your eyes wonder around the walls, decorated in Turkish rugs; then the ceilings, scattered with warm, unique lighting pieces; then the floors... the dark, hardwood floors; and finally, across the plush seating areas, disguised by cushions and pillows and fabric leisurely draped around the frames.
Graham, North Carolina
“Perfectly spiced, tasty Mediterranean food--and organic, healthy, too.”
Reviewed September 2, 2011

We sat tucked into the window booth surrounded by authentic Turkish rugs and cozy pillows like we were Sultanas. Our server was humorous, sincere and efficient. The food was sublime. We started out with the mezza platter, a sampler of hummus, eggplant, house made yogurt seasoned with fresh dill, a lentil cake, two tantalizing stuffed grape leaves, and a spicy (though, not too) pepper, olive, walnut, onion medley for spreading. Yummy. Especially yummy because the basket of bread was two freshly baked, crusty flat sesame loaves perfect for scooping up the appetizer. There was easily enough for the four of us plus some. Next came the vegetarian pizza made with pita dough, covered with roasted veggies. We shared this, plus the ground lamb kabobs served with marinated red cabbage, yogurt, and brown rice. OMG. The two large slices were plenty to share, too. And, to top it off, we split the little dumplings filled with beef and lamb, and swimming in a chili yogurt sauce. Not overpowering. Just perfect. With tax and tip the bill came to a bit over $50 for the four of us. An amazing bargain for amazing food. On the spot, I made a reservation for a soon-to-happen Saturday night dinner to take clients -- because the ambiance and food is just SO delightful. We were too stuffed for dessert!

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank Oaxacaculture

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Refreshingly different food. Everything else is average.”
Reviewed July 31, 2011

If you want good Mediterranean food, this place is fine. No complaints. Here's the flip side. They don't have much of an idea about the wine or cocktails. The tables are cramped together, and rickety, which takes the fun out of eating when your plates keep wobbling. Great location and atmosphere though. One overbearing waiter who thinks he's way funnier than he really is.

NC
“One of our favorite Chapel Hill restaurants!”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I've had two great trips to Turkey where I fell in love with wonderful, flavorful Turkish food. When I moved to Chapel Hill I was amazed to find a Turkish cafe with such authentic food and atmosphere. Here's a tip for first-time visitors: the bread and dipping sauce they bring you is SO good, you'll be tempted to fill up on it. Don't do it! Save your appetite for your dinner, because it will be amazing.

• Visited April 2011
1 Thank BKT48
Lake Charles, Louisiana
“Interesting restaurant, great food”
Reviewed June 6, 2011

I can't vouch for the authenticity of this Turkish restaurant, having never been in Turkey, but I can say that our dinner there was a great experience. The interior of the restaurant is very interesting--a very high ceiling with large rugs hung on the walls and subdued lighting, and the food was great. I had a meal that was a variety of different lamb dishes, each of which was delicious.

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank Marcus427
NC
“delicious, authentic food , excellent service”
Reviewed May 23, 2011

After having dined at Talulla's over the past three years with small groups, I was already familiar with the restaurant. As the only authentic Turkish restaurant in the area and based on my two visits to Turkey, I can definitely say that the menu and decor take me back to Istanbul. So when the opportunity for a large party presented itself, I suggested this restaurant. About 15 of us met on a weekend night for a celebratory meal for a colleague. Among standout dishes I would definitely recommend the lamb shank (if available!) or the kebabs over a yogurt sauce. The staff recommendations are always spot on, and in this case most of us opted for the different whole grilled fish options. With an extensive wine list, our meal was expertly paired with new and old world wines which complemented our experience. The only problem was that after all the delicious bread and food I barely had enough room for baklava. They can be busy on weekends, so I would suggest calling ahead for reservations. I hope they open another location a little closer to me.

• Visited May 2011