“Terrible in the Triangle”

Squid's Seafood Market and Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 309 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Just atrocious. From the snarky hostess who would not seat me while my family arrived (despite the desolate dining room) to the horrific menu. Breaded whatever plus fried stuff is the fare. Seafood chowder is better from Progresso - do not waste your time or money.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

My first visit to Squids, was a very nice experience. We went with friends before Christmas, as we thought there would be no wait for a table, and we didn't have to wait. I ordered the Salmon which is one of my favorite fish. However very few restaurant can prepare it the way I like it.

Squids actually came through on this, it was prepared on a plank, it was smoky flavorful and moist and juicy. just delightful, Kudos to you Squids for a job well done.
Will be back for more.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Squid's s a pleasant, but far from outstanding, seafood restaurant. There is a variety of fussed over fish, but not nearly enough simply prepared (grilled for example) dishes that allow the fish to speak for themselves. I had crab cakes that all right, but the vegetables were undercooked and lukewarm at best. The other diners in our party were happier with their choices and the oysters on the half shell were really good, although more choices would be appreciated.

The service is friendly but rather slow and the wine list is very limited. All in all, I've been to many better seafood restaurants, albeit not in the Triangle.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We didn't even look at the menus on the special lobster night! Plenty were enjoying the lovely crustacean but the three of our party knew what we wanted…the horseradish encrusted tilapia with onion sauce, greens beans and gold potatoes. We enjoyed their signature hushpuppies before dinner. The dinners came hot and hadn't changed since the last time we tasted and reviewed them! with several menus items not available, we made a comment on how hard it would be if the restaurant didn't have this fish item. Our waitress chuckled that if they didn't have it on the menu, she would have to walk home!! We ended our delicious meal with the maple pecan pie with cinnamon ice cream. The combination was surprisingly delicious! Now, we are hunting for the cinnamon ice cream! Although, they take a preferred seating time, dining earlier or later is more likely when seats will be available. Even on a cold, winter Tuesday night, the restaurant was packed.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

We can't decide. Our fish were just good enough for us to question whether they had been frozen, and the price was more aligned with fresh fish (i.e., $15-$20 for a dish). However, the steamed vegetables that accompanied the fish looked like they came straight out of one of those microwaveable-steam-in-the-bag numbers from Green Giant. Place was nice and clean, but even though it was empty the hostess sat us right next to the only other occupied table in the whole place - I used to serve so I get it, but on a slow night there's nothing wrong with spreading people around. Overall a decent meal, fair-ish price ($50 for two entrees, a diet coke, tax and tip), and we may go back to try the outdoor seating when the weather is better.