“Jumped by the Manager”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I have to be honest. This is exactly how it went down: After being away from Chapel Hill for 25 years, my son and I decided to go to Breadmen's on a Sunday morning for what turned out to be brunch. The place is an icon. Everyone loves it. What could go wrong?

The place was packed. The food was excellent. I ordered the BBQ plate and my son ordered a classic eggs and bacon breakfast with toast and grits. We were having a wonderful time. We finished our meal, and headed for the register. Let me say, that we had to go to the register, because in their infinite wisdom and foresight of being in business for nearly three decades, they make the customers stand in line to pay at the register instead of having the same waiter that has been so good with you bring a credit card billet to the table like any respectable restaurant.

So, as luck would have it, an entire table of sorority sisters happened to get up and head to the register at the split second as my son and I. At the register, we had to snake around the host podium where the seater gave us dirty looks while we waited patiently to pay, I kept a good and polite distance from the back of the sorority, and watched them pay, one-by-one on this busy Sunday morning. No problem, everything was mellow and I just enjoyed the satisfying full feeling of my meal and let the flow go, not a care in the world; when out of nowhere, WHAM, this big tall older gentleman is standing beside me in the crowd and he booms out in the middle of the restaurant, "SIR THESE LADIES ARE TRYING TO SPLIT THEIR TAB! GO OVER THERE AND SIT AT THE BAR!" Everyone proceeded to look at me like I was some kind of criminal. Confused, I pushed my way out of line to the bar, separated from the rest of the regular payment line. Once at the bar, I felt like I was under house arrest. The man hurriedly threw my receipt at me and had me sign it.

As I left, I felt all of the hot under the collar, why me resentment boiling up in my blood along with a case of indigestion. I am not an overly sensitive person, and I certainly know how to deal with crowds, but I got the bum's rush in this place like some kind of college boy would. Breadmen's can kiss my business goodbye. I will never eat there again. A reputation of being "cool" is only as good as the last person that you take a dump on.

4  Thank KMartinGardner

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I would classify the food as average, but the price is right, service is always good. If you want home/country cooking this is the place. If you want somethig a little more gourmet, not the place.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

A reliable standby for breakfast and lunch. Good omelets, sandwiches, home fries. Friendly service usually. Funky and casual atmosphere.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

My favorite restaurant in Chapel Hill. The owner is usually very present and full of personality as well as the walls of the restaurant. The BBQ is definately of the vinegar type if thats what you like. Portions are huge and you must get the banana pudding for dessert! Prices were good, staff was friendly. This is a must when in the area!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

This was our first visit to UNC, so I can't say this for sure, but I imagine 1000's of students and football/basketball alumni have successfully nursed hangovers here.

The annual 4th of July celebration must be a real treat to attend, as the posters for past year's events adorn the walls of the restaurant. As near as I could figure, the celebration dates back to the early 1980's.

Food is typical diner: heavy on the eggs, bacon, sausage and pancakes. We had biscuits/gravy and the Big Breadmen's. Bisuits were especially good, with a slightly crunchy outside. The gravy had bigger chunks of sausage, but will never live up to the ones my wife makes. Speaking of her, she had the Belgium waffle with strawberries. Very good.

Nursing a hangover? Don't ask why, just go