“Great food and service!”
Review of Lantern Restaurant

Lantern Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Lantern Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 300 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 10, 2014

My husband took me to the Lantern for my birthday while we were visiting Chapel Hill/Carrboro. The food was delicious and beautifully presented and the service couldn't be better. We left full and happy. We will return!

Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

An overhyped restaurant that I have been going to for years, when it was new it was an amazing fresh take on Asian fusion, but over the years it has had little change in their cuisine, the service is great and they have great cocktails, you will definitely enjoy it but it is overhyped for sure, especially since I have lived in Asia for the past five years

1  Thank mpop2002
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Local ingredients, wonderful use of spices and seasonings, and a patient/helpful wait staff. In a word, YUM! I know YUM is a bit simplified, but in going there to celebrate first anniversary of daughter and son-in-law, we had a truly marvelous meal and dining experience. This was the choice of our kids. Being newly weds, they are on a limited budget, and when we told them it was there choice, they did not hesitate, based on all the things they had heard. It did not disappoint! They allowed us ample time to enjoy appetizers, provided full explanations of the entrees, and were gracious in every way. From apps to entrees, food was artfully crafted and FULL of flavors! In all fairness to the Kids perceptions, it was not overly expensive. From chicken to local Carolina flounder, and age dried meats, it was a taste treat, with a tremendous wait staff. A definite return trip, and it won't necessarily have to be a special occasion!

Reviewed July 13, 2014

We loved this restaurant and definitely will return. Their house cocktails were amazing. I recommend maiking reseervations and giving yourself time to sample as much as you can. Everything tasted very fresh and textures and flavors were very well balanced.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Lantern is an Asian restaurant which uses lots of local ingredients in a creative and delicious way. On a recent trip to Chapel Hill, my accomplice and I had the pleasure of eating here with another couple. For an appetizer, we started off with the black mushroom and cabbage dumplings. This seemed like a very unlikely combination, but was very good. My accomplice had the fried whole flounder with garlic, chiles, tamarind, fresh lime leaf, a papaya salad and jasmine rice. The flavors were pronounced but subtle and complex. I had the steamed Arctic char with house-pickled ginger, lemongrass, red onion, cucumber-mint salad with coconut jasmine rice. Again, all the flavors blended nicely and complimented each other wonderfully. When I ordered the char (one of my favorite fishes but hard to find) I thought I would have preferred to have had it prepared a different way, but in this dish it was perfect. In addition to the recent Beard Award, Lantern has the reputation of being the best restaurant in Chapel Hill and one of the best restaurants in the Triangle, all well-deserved and well-worth a visit!