“Excellent Greek fare”

Kipos Greek Taverna
Reserve with OpenTable
Kipos Greek Taverna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 291 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Kipos is a place familiar like home, comforting, flavorful, honest and welcoming to all. It's a taverna, where friends and strangers gather every day to share thoughts, a glass of wine or two, raki, beer, and often Ouzo. Mezedes (small plates) keep coming to your table, and the conversation and laughter get better with time. This is something that we all share. Kipos is a reflection of my childhood: fresh and robust village foods cooked in wood-burning ovens, honoring old and modern recipes alike. It's a remembrance of my mother's masterful way with phyllo. It's a celebration of cheese, breads, mousaka and lamb youvetsi. It's a story about pigeon in clay pots, octopus grilled over a fire and perfect dolmas. It's about my love for her youvarelakia, her rabbit stefado and the aroma of lamb roasting over an open fire. It's about her chicken and potatoes, especially when I was the one who had to catch the bird. Kipos is a tale of baked eggplant, the perfect village salad, kakavia and my favorite, zucchini blossoms and fresh cheese. And of course we can't forget the baklava, honey walnut cakes and spoon sweets. But above all, Kipos is a story about the love and joy that my parents shared, working the fields heroically, enduring, so that one day my brothers, my sister and I could realize the American dream. My brothers, sister and I became one with the garden, with the olives, with the grapes. We became one with the fields and the mountains that were covered with wild oregano. We gathered animals, both wild and tamed. Nature nourished us with her abundance, with her goodness. This is what we want to share with you at Kipos: cooking from the memory of my heart. Kalos Oresate (welcome) to our home. Love, Giorgios Bakatsias
Scotch Creek, British Columbia, Canada
“Excellent Greek fare”
Reviewed April 8, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Four of us had a terrific lunch--rave reviews on the lamb burger, lamb sandwich, roasted beet salad, and the shrimp & fennel salad. Great service and good suggestions for beer and wine.

Visited April 2014

• Turkish first
Raleigh
“Opah! What a great place for our Christmas Party!”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Everything we ordered was delicious, the wait staff was super friendly and attentive, and the atmosphere was so fun! I highly recommend if you are looking for a fun date night or group dinner place!

• Visited December 2013
North Carolina
“Good but slightly overpriced and chaotic”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I liked Kipos, but I think it is a bit overpriced. The atmosphere it's nice but extremely chaotic and loud. At some point some belly dancers started dancing around the restaurant. I understand that some folks may like this display of synchretic exoticism, but I personally found it tacky. The food was good, but nothing unforgettable. I will come back for a second opinion.

• Visited November 2013
Chocowinity, North Carolina
“Opah! This place is really, really good!”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

All kinds of delicious homemade Greek dishes and wonderful pastries. The service is a bit slow only because the staff goes out of their way to give you plenty of time to think about the choices. The lamb sandwiches are very good, as is the spanikopita. There are a variey of soups from which to choose, as well as appetizers. it is a very nice venue for Sunday brunch.

• Visited March 2014
carolinas
“mid-week date night”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

The food is always great, the atmosphere is nice (if a bit noisy) and the service is typically good (sometimes excellent, sometimes just OK - depends on the server). We have only gone for dinner, but want to try lunch sometime, too. The desserts look good, but dinner is always so tasty, we can't seem to save room for dessert!

Visited January 2014