“Opah! This place is really, really good!”

Kipos Greek Taverna
Reserve with OpenTable
Kipos Greek Taverna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 299 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Kipos is a place familiar like home, comforting, flavorful, honest and welcoming to all. It's a taverna, where friends and strangers gather every day to share thoughts, a glass of wine or two, raki, beer, and often Ouzo. Mezedes (small plates) keep coming to your table, and the conversation and laughter get better with time. This is something that we all share. Kipos is a reflection of my childhood: fresh and robust village foods cooked in wood-burning ovens, honoring old and modern recipes alike. It's a remembrance of my mother's masterful way with phyllo. It's a celebration of cheese, breads, mousaka and lamb youvetsi. It's a story about pigeon in clay pots, octopus grilled over a fire and perfect dolmas. It's about my love for her youvarelakia, her rabbit stefado and the aroma of lamb roasting over an open fire. It's about her chicken and potatoes, especially when I was the one who had to catch the bird. Kipos is a tale of baked eggplant, the perfect village salad, kakavia and my favorite, zucchini blossoms and fresh cheese. And of course we can't forget the baklava, honey walnut cakes and spoon sweets. But above all, Kipos is a story about the love and joy that my parents shared, working the fields heroically, enduring, so that one day my brothers, my sister and I could realize the American dream. My brothers, sister and I became one with the garden, with the olives, with the grapes. We became one with the fields and the mountains that were covered with wild oregano. We gathered animals, both wild and tamed. Nature nourished us with her abundance, with her goodness. This is what we want to share with you at Kipos: cooking from the memory of my heart. Kalos Oresate (welcome) to our home. Love, Giorgios Bakatsias
Reviewed March 9, 2014

All kinds of delicious homemade Greek dishes and wonderful pastries. The service is a bit slow only because the staff goes out of their way to give you plenty of time to think about the choices. The lamb sandwiches are very good, as is the spanikopita. There are a variey of soups from which to choose, as well as appetizers. it is a very nice venue for Sunday brunch.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

The food is always great, the atmosphere is nice (if a bit noisy) and the service is typically good (sometimes excellent, sometimes just OK - depends on the server). We have only gone for dinner, but want to try lunch sometime, too. The desserts look good, but dinner is always so tasty, we can't seem to save room for dessert!

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Had dinner here with family on a Saturday night. It was crowded (but we had made reservations) and there was a mandolin player adding to the ambiance. Hostess, waitress and waitstaff all very friendly and we enjoyed the upscale rustic feel of the dining areas. We were happy with our orders of roasted chicken, souvlaki, pastitsio, appetizers and dessert (shared). We will return again.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

Ok. Admittedly we went on a Sat night but this place was UNBEARABLY LOUD due to a combination of poor acoustics and live music which was pumped throughout the restaurant so you couldn't get away from it. Our waiter made a joke about it but having a conversation was impossible. This is, I suppose, OK if you are 25 but we're in our 50's and my mother in law is 92. Or if you are in a bar. Or a music venue. Food was great though. Seemed authentic Greek (though very salty) but not really worth the noise. I'll go back there for take-out.

2  Thank pmspiro
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We had dinner here last week due to its rating as "best Greek" in the N&O. Oh, my. As others have mentioned, the spanokopita is doughy and way too thick. The fire roasted leg of lamb was so tough that it was hard to cut with a steak knife, and the spices can only be described as "weird". The charcoal roasted lamb chops were tender and tasty, but the meat on the 3 thin chops probably totaled 5-6 ounces; not a good deal for $28.

2  Thank glftrvl