“Step off Franklin St and into Greece!”

Kipos Greek Taverna
Reserve with OpenTable
Kipos Greek Taverna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 303 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Kipos is a place familiar like home, comforting, flavorful, honest and welcoming to all. It's a taverna, where friends and strangers gather every day to share thoughts, a glass of wine or two, raki, beer, and often Ouzo. Mezedes (small plates) keep coming to your table, and the conversation and laughter get better with time. This is something that we all share. Kipos is a reflection of my childhood: fresh and robust village foods cooked in wood-burning ovens, honoring old and modern recipes alike. It's a remembrance of my mother's masterful way with phyllo. It's a celebration of cheese, breads, mousaka and lamb youvetsi. It's a story about pigeon in clay pots, octopus grilled over a fire and perfect dolmas. It's about my love for her youvarelakia, her rabbit stefado and the aroma of lamb roasting over an open fire. It's about her chicken and potatoes, especially when I was the one who had to catch the bird. Kipos is a tale of baked eggplant, the perfect village salad, kakavia and my favorite, zucchini blossoms and fresh cheese. And of course we can't forget the baklava, honey walnut cakes and spoon sweets. But above all, Kipos is a story about the love and joy that my parents shared, working the fields heroically, enduring, so that one day my brothers, my sister and I could realize the American dream. My brothers, sister and I became one with the garden, with the olives, with the grapes. We became one with the fields and the mountains that were covered with wild oregano. We gathered animals, both wild and tamed. Nature nourished us with her abundance, with her goodness. This is what we want to share with you at Kipos: cooking from the memory of my heart. Kalos Oresate (welcome) to our home. Love, Giorgios Bakatsias
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Authentic Greek food, beautiful atmosphere with occasional live musician and belly dancer, excellent service, extensive menu and wine selection, and lovely outdoor patio makes this a truly special place. Make reservations a week in advance on line if you can. This wonderful cuilinary experience is pricy but worth it. The smoked salmon appetizer is a must and the lamb chops are just delicious.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We've been to Kipos several times since it opened and it never disappoints. the last time there was shortly after our return from Athens and the food at Kipos is as good or better than we had there.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Run dont walk to Kipos the reviewer told us so I did.But I probably won't return. The good part is the bread was superb- crusty and chewy and studded with bits of kalamata olives.Unusually good but it was downhill from there. The service was slack even though we arrived for lunch shortly before 2:00 and only a few tables were occupied. The moussaka was ample but heavy and uninteresting: cinnamon flavored hamburg and eggplant covered with thick and sticky béchamel. Plus, for 15.00 they should have thrown in a little side salad or a few green beans or something. My wife got the shrimp salad which was a small, very ordinary green salad w/ 4 nice size shrimp which left her protein starved.(since she doesn't eat meat she couldn't share the cinnamon-flavored hamburg). I don't think I'm too fussy; I just think that the restaurant has been way over-hyped and way overpriced too.

3  Thank chuboiNorthCarolina
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We were here for a dinner, just walked in as we passed by, didn't know anything about this restaurant, just saw that it was nearly full. We got seated outside after 5 min as we asked for that.
We had Tzatziki and Melitzanosalata as starters and Moussaka and Souvlaki as entrees, very tasteful and truly Greek as I remember from our traveling there. I didn't put 5 dots because it was a little too much olive oil on top of the food and the service was a bit slow as it was crowded (my sons got their sodas after 30 min, we had everything else long before). We really enjoyed our dinner.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I have been several times, in a large group and again several times in small groups. The design is wonderful- welcoming and you can easily think you are in Greece. The food is very good- classic Greek dishes that have been prepared well. The mezze sampler is a wonderful dish to share and start the evening. The servers have been excellent. The wines are Greek, but our servers has always been very helpful to match a wine with our requests.
The outdoor tables are the perfect place to watch the world on Franklin Street.