“All around great experience!”

Kipos Greek Taverna
Reserve with OpenTable
Kipos Greek Taverna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 292 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Kipos is a place familiar like home, comforting, flavorful, honest and welcoming to all. It's a taverna, where friends and strangers gather every day to share thoughts, a glass of wine or two, raki, beer, and often Ouzo. Mezedes (small plates) keep coming to your table, and the conversation and laughter get better with time. This is something that we all share. Kipos is a reflection of my childhood: fresh and robust village foods cooked in wood-burning ovens, honoring old and modern recipes alike. It's a remembrance of my mother's masterful way with phyllo. It's a celebration of cheese, breads, mousaka and lamb youvetsi. It's a story about pigeon in clay pots, octopus grilled over a fire and perfect dolmas. It's about my love for her youvarelakia, her rabbit stefado and the aroma of lamb roasting over an open fire. It's about her chicken and potatoes, especially when I was the one who had to catch the bird. Kipos is a tale of baked eggplant, the perfect village salad, kakavia and my favorite, zucchini blossoms and fresh cheese. And of course we can't forget the baklava, honey walnut cakes and spoon sweets. But above all, Kipos is a story about the love and joy that my parents shared, working the fields heroically, enduring, so that one day my brothers, my sister and I could realize the American dream. My brothers, sister and I became one with the garden, with the olives, with the grapes. We became one with the fields and the mountains that were covered with wild oregano. We gathered animals, both wild and tamed. Nature nourished us with her abundance, with her goodness. This is what we want to share with you at Kipos: cooking from the memory of my heart. Kalos Oresate (welcome) to our home. Love, Giorgios Bakatsias
Chapel Hill, NC
“All around great experience!”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Must admit to being a little nervous after reading reviews, but we decided to give it a go. What an excellent decision! We were there around 6:30 pm and got a table in a small alcove across from the bar. We ordered a XORIATIKI salad with some of the freshest heirloom tomatoes and cucumbers I've had anywhere in a long time. The feta on the salad was perfect as was the homemade bread. Also got a MAROULI salad with a wonderful dressing. Then we shared the fisherman's stew which looked small at first but it turned out to be the perfect size. The waitress brought extra bead for the stew without us asking. The meal was complimented by a bottle of ALEXAKIS VIDIANO white wine. We just picked a wine and were lucky that it turned out to pair well with the meal. Since we had been good with the entree, we went for the Chocolate Mousse with olive oil and salt. Wonderful ending to a perfect meal!

Service was also excellent. Our waitress, Michelle, knew the menu and was able to answer questions easily. She was very professional and personal. For example, she said she had never served the wine we ordered before but thought it had a pretty label, She was attentive without being over vigilant.

It was noisy, but not bad where we were. The whole atmosphere was vibrant. Somehow you felt like everyone was having a good time. Lots of laughing and positive energy, and I am not one to talk about positive energy often. Somehow Kipos had that.

We'll be back soon!

Visited July 2013

• Turkish first
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Good ambiance and music”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stopped by after hearing good report from a friend. Had drinks and an appetizer. Very pleasant environment, friendly staff and live Greek music. The appetizer, a mezze, was rather bland and I would not order that again. Worth another visit I think.

• Visited July 2013
“Beautifully rustic Greek atmosphere and food!”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We called at 5:30 for 6:00 reservations on a rainy Friday night. Our first visit to Kipos was a total delight starting with the wonderfully comfortable decor with its rustic tables and mismatched but similar chairs. The music was loud and full and uplifting...we looked for the 6 piece band and found a lone bouzouki player with rich background music mixed in electronically. We started with drinks. I chose the Giorgios...a wonderful mix of vodka, rosemary, thyme and lemon...delicious! For our meal we had wonderful choices of tapas type small plates or slow cooked main courses. We opted for the small plates...enormous shrimp in a fantastic tomato sauce, greek meatballs with tzaziki, and cold ouzo-cured salmon. Each item was fantastic! For dessert a wonderful walnut cake with creme fraiche. Dinner was accompanied by a delightful white Greek wine. Our waitress was attentive yet willing to let us enjoy the evening. The manager and head cook charming and personable. All in all a great evening!

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Another Good Restaurant from Giorgios Bakatsia”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Folks in the Triangle who've come to expect interesting restaurants from Giorgios Bakatsia over the past three decades will enjoy his latest. The modest menu is almost completely Greek cuisine, ranging from the familiar dolmadakia, moussaka and gyros to the less usual leek & cheese phyllo pie, grilled octopus salad, and ouzo-cured salmon sandwich on ciabatta. We were there for lunch and had the latter two dishes. My friend enjoyed the octopus salad. I was surprised when the ouzo-cured salmon turned out to be like gravlaks - I guess I was expecting cooked salmon, but it was very good with scallion cream cheese and tomatoes on a house-baked ciabatta. The breads served with EVOO and pepper flakes for dipping were superb, and you can buy loaves from the attached bakery.

Portions are ample, and the yummy galaktoboureko we shared for dessert was huge! The waiter was very friendly, but the service was a bit slow. Nonetheless, my companion and I agreed that we'd have to bring our wives to Kipos for dinner in the near future.

Chapel Hill
“Food was OK, service abysmal”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

There was nothing exceptional about our visit. Even though we had a reservation, we weren't seated until 30 minutes later. While all the wines are Greek, which I can understand, there are few anyone will have ever heard of - which makes it critical that your waitstaff can actually have a conversation about them. Let's just say that certainly wasn't the case - our waitress couldn't describe even the most basic attributes of many of the bottles on the list. After we had decided on wine, she brought glasses, started opening the bottle, and then ran back into the restaurant (we were sitting on the patio) - with no explanation. She then returned, with no cork and an open bottle of wine. Not good form.

The evening didn't get any better. We got several appetizers to share. Given the large plates used with rather small tables, we told our waitress that we wanted some time to finish the appetizers before our entrees showed up. Didn't help any; our entrees showed up when we were only half finished with our appetizers, and we aren't particularly slow eaters. So timing of this place is way, way off.

As for the food, all of it was just OK. Nothing stood out as particularly good; the listing of specials on the chalkboard at the front of the restaurant was wrong, at least according to our waitress; spanakotiropita was overcooked; other entrees were bland.

Additionally, there is a sign on the door from the patio into the restaurant that it is for staff only and that customers should use the main door. However, they lock the main door before everyone on the patio has finished eating. So you have to ignore the sign on the door to go use the bathroom. Another example of poor planning.

With all the good food in Chapel Hill, I certainly wouldn't go back. If these issues hadn't been worked out, they never should have opened. I don't think it's going to improve. The food and service don't live up to the prices - which came to over $250 including tip for four - or the hype.

• Visited June 2013