“Fabulous, Authentic, Fresh & Greek”

Kipos Greek Taverna
Reserve with OpenTable
Kipos Greek Taverna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 303 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Kipos is a place familiar like home, comforting, flavorful, honest and welcoming to all. It's a taverna, where friends and strangers gather every day to share thoughts, a glass of wine or two, raki, beer, and often Ouzo. Mezedes (small plates) keep coming to your table, and the conversation and laughter get better with time. This is something that we all share. Kipos is a reflection of my childhood: fresh and robust village foods cooked in wood-burning ovens, honoring old and modern recipes alike. It's a remembrance of my mother's masterful way with phyllo. It's a celebration of cheese, breads, mousaka and lamb youvetsi. It's a story about pigeon in clay pots, octopus grilled over a fire and perfect dolmas. It's about my love for her youvarelakia, her rabbit stefado and the aroma of lamb roasting over an open fire. It's about her chicken and potatoes, especially when I was the one who had to catch the bird. Kipos is a tale of baked eggplant, the perfect village salad, kakavia and my favorite, zucchini blossoms and fresh cheese. And of course we can't forget the baklava, honey walnut cakes and spoon sweets. But above all, Kipos is a story about the love and joy that my parents shared, working the fields heroically, enduring, so that one day my brothers, my sister and I could realize the American dream. My brothers, sister and I became one with the garden, with the olives, with the grapes. We became one with the fields and the mountains that were covered with wild oregano. We gathered animals, both wild and tamed. Nature nourished us with her abundance, with her goodness. This is what we want to share with you at Kipos: cooking from the memory of my heart. Kalos Oresate (welcome) to our home. Love, Giorgios Bakatsias
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Finally! In place of the formerly beloved Pyewacket is an awesome new restaurant which will transport you to Greece the minute you walk in the door. A George Bakatsias restaurant, he looks to be thrilled, as he walks around from table to table, to bring his native cuisine to his adopted city. And he should be. It is superb. From the live greek music to the greek beers and wine on the menu and all the truly authentic dishes, you are there.
Anyone who knows Santorini has had the Santorini Fava, a wonderful hummus like dip made from yellow lentils, slathered in EVOO and served with pita. Kipos has a perfect version. Add the classic Greek salad, NO lettuce (!) and a glass of Greek white wine (A fabulous one was suggested by our waiter, Mike, and he was spot on) and you have the perfect dinner.
We also tried the Ouzo Soaked Salmon served with chilis and dill. Perfection paired with the feta on the salad. Finally, the Calamari, also suggested by Mike, was crispy, soft and tasty.
Finishing off with a perfect decaf cappuchino, too full for desert, the evening was one to repeat over and over.
The restaurant was packed but everything moved efficiently and Mike took the time to really connect with us. He had clearly taken the time to absorb the first rate training he must have received since he spoke very knowledgably and made excellent recommendations. We enjoyed his service and style. I could eat here weekly and, hey, I just might.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The food was great with lots of menu items you can't get at other places in Chapel Hill. Lots of farm-to-table options for meat and cheese. The service was friendly but a little incompetent. Nothing horrible -- they are probably still working out the kinks. They have a lovely outdoor seating area that I will never use again because of the ridiculously aggressive music. They have a live musician playing over a canned track of greek music inside the restaurant and it is piped outside. The music itself is festive and fun, but they claim they lack the ability to turn it down outside without silencing it inside and/or that it's just a "greek thing." It was only 6pm and we couldn't hear each other or our waiter talk, the volume gave us all killer headaches. I begged several staff to find a way to turn it down and was told each time that "they'd ask him" but the music only got louder. Who "he" is and why he insists on torturing people is a mystery. I suspect it's about attracting customers from the sidewalk, but by doing so they eliminate the comfort of all who are sitting outside. I suppose it might be great if you were trying to avoid talking to your dinner companion, but if you actually like the people you are eating with and would rather talk to them than be blasted with Greek club music , I'd recommend avoiding Kipos.

2  Thank Jenny C
Reviewed March 29, 2013

New addition to the chapel hill dining scene. Really good ambience, good food, and very friendly staff. Music sounds Greek although the belly dancer imbued a more Turkish flavor. All in all a very good start for this novel restaurant.

Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Good food and great service. The food was served very fast despite how busy it was. We order several appetizer and a salad. Every dish was good, but not memorable. They also sell bread and pastries in the restaurant. A must try.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

My family of 4 headed to Kipos recently on a Friday evening. It had come recommended by my 81 year old father who had spent some time living in Crete and loves a party.

The atmosphere was fun - we really felt transplanted to a place that was not our hometown. There was live music that put us all in a mood of "elsewhere"....the menu had something for everyone. My daughter loved the tzatziki - it was some of the best we had ever tasted. I don't recall what we ordered - but the plates were large and we had leftovers for lunch. All really yummy. The spinkopta was really good.

The owner, George came over and schmoozed - which was nice.

There is also a bakery for takeout....I noted this - thinking...I'll dash in for some spinkopta and tzakiki sometime and pull together a casual summer meal.

In the end we felt as if we had just returned from a fun weekend away - the teenagers tried new food, my husband and I enjoyed some tastes we don't get very often....a winner.