“Check your bill closely!”
Review of City Kitchen

City Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
City Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 291 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 15-501
Description: City Kitchen family welcomes you with wholesome American fare prepared through simple, time-honored cooking methods such as roasting, braising, preserving and smoking. This urban, contemporary neighborhood eatery evokes the warmth and convivial setting of a residential kitchen and gathering place dedicated to quality and sourcing locally.
Chicago, Illinois
“Check your bill closely!”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

I went in a few weeks ago for a Saturday lunch. Everything was okay until the waiter brought us our bill. I was surprised to find out that he had included a 20% gratuity, but didn't inform us about this. We were a party of only three. Thinking that it was odd, I talked to the manager who was passing by our table. He said he would check and went to talk to the server.

A few minutes later, the server returns and asks me if there was a problem with the service. I said no, but asked if charging customers for a 20% tip for lunch was the restaurant policy. The server replied, "It varies." Seriously? It varies? On what? Either you have the policy or not. I asked him to take the 20% off the bill, because let's be honest, that's just presumptuous and ill-advised. I don't mind leaving big tips for outstanding service, but a customer should never be forced to pay tip, let alone 20%, especially if this is not the restaurant policy.

The server left with no apology. The manager never returned to our table, either. I get that the server might have tried to "trick" some customers to paying double gratuity (because a lot of customers actually don't look at the bill very closely), but it astounds me that the manager did not even come by to explain and rectify the situation. I am appalled by this lack of service and will not be returning to the restaurant.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Jazz-June

Nashville, Tennessee
“Impressive Food and Great Service”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Enjoyed a great dinner; started with a sushi roll, then enjoyed the salmon. The salmon was well prepared with Asia flavors, not overpowering or spicy. Great salmon flavor with purple sweet potatoes. Chris my server provided excellent service, not in your face, but there when you needed him. The manager made two table checks and this was a busy evening. I suggest making reservations and enjoying a very good restaurant. I enjoyed a relaxing evening and will return in the future.

• Visited April 2014
Old Hickory, Tennessee
“Great back-up restaurant”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We planned to eat at another restaurant next door but due to an hour plus wait we ate here. It was a happy surprise. There were four adults and one toddler for lunch and we all enjoyed our meal. I had a lamb burger, my husband had the cobb salad, daughter had grilled Portobello sandwich and son-in-law the omelette. Grandchild had kid's pasta. We were all delighted with the quality of the food and the excellent service. It was a relaxing meal and we would definitely eat there again.

• Visited March 2014
Statesville, North Carolina
“Nice Atmosphere! Solid Food”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I had some great food here. Nothing fancy but good solid food choices. The best part of the whole experience was the Thursday night martini specials. Wow! And only $5.

• Visited February 2014
North Carolina
“Senior singles bar”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Hopping bar at night for the senior single scene. Sports bar feel, drinks flowing, food OK.

Previously Spice Street. Closed sushi bar, reduced floor space, went from ribeye to "skirt steak," and changed name to City Kitchen. Loud. Massive ceiling. Always find a seat.

• Visited February 2014