“Excellent food in a casual setting”
Review of City Kitchen

City Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
City Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 303 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 15-501
Description: City Kitchen family welcomes you with wholesome American fare prepared through simple, time-honored cooking methods such as roasting, braising, preserving and smoking. This urban, contemporary neighborhood eatery evokes the warmth and convivial setting of a residential kitchen and gathering place dedicated to quality and sourcing locally.
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

Was invited with friends as I was visiting chapel hill. Dined on a Sunday evening in February - no reservations were necessary. Service was pleasant. Menu and wine list were nice. Everyone loved their meals (salmon, duck breast, pizza, ribs). We did not have a first course or dessert as the main courses were filling. I know that Carolinians are fussy about BBQ but I thought the ribs were excellent as they were individually prepared. They were also served with a sprinkle of coriander and sesame with a wedge of line, which added a simple and fresh twist to a classic.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a reservation for Saturday night after the UNC vs NC State game. Since there was a game we knew we would need a reservation. Made a reservation for 8 people. At the last minute one person was not able to make it, so when we checked in we told them it would be 7 instead of 8. We waited for a few mins at they seat us at a 6 seat table and tell us they will pull up a chair to the end for the 7 person. A half hour later when another group of seven were up at the table for six next to us, the waiter walks over to our table and begins to pull it further away from the new party, which would have been fine if he had explained what he was doing. He did not just started pulling the table while our party of 7 was sitting there having conversation etc. It was rude, and the table leg hit one person in the knee. Anyway our service before and after this incident was slow, poor, and with an attitude. I know they were busy, but it was Saturday night after a game, I'm sure they are busy like this after every game. We had a child and a pre teen in our group, the children's entree was served first which was good. The pre teen ordered sushi. It was not brought to her until after all the adults had received their entrees and eaten them, were considering dessert . Yes. Shared with the youngster who was patiently waiting for her food. It took a long time for the adults to get their food. The food itself was very good, had the special of surf and turf. The steak was very tender and cooked perfectly. The dessert menus was so so. The key lime pie was good, but served with assorted chopped fruit and cocoanut on top, not everyone likes cocoanut, and it was not listed on the menu. Next time we are visiting our family in Chapel Hill I would eat there again, but if it was the same service we had this visit I would not go back no matter how good the food was.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have been to City Kitchen about 5 times over the past year or so. No question-go on Monday nights for half price flatbread ($5.00) and $2.50 draft beer. The margherita pizza is so tasty, particularly when accompanied by a lovely glass of delicious NC beer (Red Oak is one of my favorites-they also have Big Boss's Angry Angel and many other great options). In addition, they give you free bread with olive oil and red pepper hummus which is delicious. Such a great value. The service in the bar area has always been exceptional, but I have gone one other time for lunch around the holidays and the service was probably the worst service I have ever encountered. The waiter could not have been more inconvenienced and seemingly annoyed by my family being at his table (and we are super friendly)-to the point we thought it could have been a joke...it was completely ridiculous. However, I totally understand having bad days and have worked with people for a long time, so it is all good. It is safe to say that the service can be inconsistent. Overall, highly recommend for the daily specials and the beautiful atmosphere.

Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

We went for lunch. I liked arty decor and sandwiches were excellent. However, the service was disappointing. The waiter was unfriendly and waiting time for food was pretty long.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

The atmosphere is great; just enough cool factor and an open floor plan.
The burger was SO tasty. Good food. Good Quality.
I do think they could get more creative with their sushi but we really enjoyed it as an appetizer.
Soups were tasty. They give you bread and olive tapenade (can't go wrong there).
This is a fun place for friends or couples.
The bar just looks cool and huge. I am excited to visit again.

The service was very nice and patient with us, checked on us very often which was mostly a good thing. Hostesses were nice.