“A Mistake”
Review of Cholanad

Cholanad
Reserve with OpenTable
Cholanad is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 309 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Mallette St
Reviewed December 25, 2013

It was a mistake not to eat here for the past 10 months- this is an excellent restaurant! I’ve written a review last February and failed to remember my pleasure in eating the whole fish and every other dish. Great beer selection, excellent service, white table clothes, 99% Sanitary Rating and very reasonable prices.

1  Thank caplow

Reviewed December 24, 2013

When we arrived at the restaurant, our reservation had gone awry, but we were nevertheless courteously seated immediately.

We were really impressed with the quality of the food and service at this South India restaurant in Chapel Hill. We went on Christmas Eve and the place was quite busy, but the chef himself came to advise us on what to order and how much to order for 4 people. He even told us when we thought we should order more that we should not; it would be too much food. We were impressed with his honesty. He also could answer our questions about how spicy the food would be. And the bartender gave excellent advice about beers.

The chef is a culinary school graduate from India and not only knew the food, but the restaurant business as well. He was delightful. We all enjoyed our meal - we shared all the entrees which included a whole fish with rice, scallops with a different kind of rice, saag paneer with chicken and naan, and a dosa with vegetables and 4 sauces. Each entree was distinctive and perfectly prepared.

We would definitely go back to this restaurant.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

If you love innovative Indian cuisine and dosa's, in an elegant setting, this is the place for you. Even items that I normally eschew such as rice biryani with chicken was flavorful and moist ie freshly made. Lamb chops were perfectly cooked, the vegetarian dishes were unusually good. The cook clearly wants to push the boundaries and comes out to check on the customers. We will be going back many times.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

It's really pricey, but I think it's worth it. I've been there a few times and loved everything I had.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Cholanad is a fabulous restaurant. The decor is light, airy, modern but not spare. The service was fabulous. But the food - ahh! I have eaten in many Indian restaurants, including in and around the NYC area. This may be the best Indian food I have ever had. The cuisine is innovative, fresh, out of the ordinary - not the same old, same old. Full disclosure - I LOVE Indian food. I also like it because if we're looking for a place to take our granddaughter, who is a vegetarian, there is always something interesting for her to eat. Cholanad is over the top!

1  Thank grammysondra