“Wonderful food and service”
Review of Cholanad

Cholanad
Reserve with OpenTable
Cholanad is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 303 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Mallette St
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Being an adventurous American, I often try cuisines other than the traditional American fare. Someone told me about Cholonad Restaurant----what a great surprise for me and my guests. First of all, the service is excellent---very attentive wait staff. And secondly, the food was splendid. We tried several different dishes (and shared them), including the Tandoori Scallops and Shrimp and several of the Dosas. Everything was prepared professionally, authentically (according to one of my Indian friends who accompanied us), and deliciously. The drinks were also a nice accompaniment to our dinner. I highly recommend this blend of South Indian food.

1  Thank Tarheeldude

Reviewed January 5, 2013

My friend and found cholanad open on Christmas evening. Great service and wonderful food. We did not know what to order, we had never had Indian food. Our server was so helpful, our meals were out standing. I am still craving a noodle and shrimp dish I had. We will certainly return to this restaurant. I just wish I didn't live 6 hours away. Renee c. Cumberland MD

Reviewed December 31, 2012

My husband is not a big fan of Indian food, nor is our houseguest, Ken. But we were attracted by the nice decor and the interesting menu listed outside the restaurant. We were not disappointed!
My husband can not wait to go back and Ken said he definitely wants to do another visit to Cholanad before returning to Denmark. As for me, the food at Cholanad is unlike any Indian cuisine I have ever experienced and I am also looking forward (with great anticipation) to trying the dosas and curried soft shell crabs on my next visit. .

The food at Cholanad is fresh and carefully prepared and presented. We started with steamed rice buns served with a delicate, yet spicy sauce (delicious!), the sauteed crab served in a papadum bowl and a fresh garlic naan which came with a warm tikka masala sauce (the best I have ever tasted). The naan was so soft and fresh and the garlic flavor just danced on our toungues. The crab appetizer was very tasty and Ken reports that his lamb kofta was excellent. For the main course I ordered the whole fish on banana leaf and my husband had the Thai infused whole fish served with flavorful basmati rice, so light and fluffy I thought it would lift off the plate and fly away. Ken had the curried chicken. Our conversation was limited the rest of the evening to how delicious the food was, in between oohs and ahs. We had hardly begun our meal before we were already planning what we would order the next time from the quite unique and varied menu.

The staff at Cholanad was very friendly and the atomsphere sophisted and modern, yet casual and comfortable. The prices were more than reasonable (there were appetizers on the menu for a mere $5 and $17 for a fresh fish entree is unheard of in most restaurants of this calibre). If we had one complaint it would be that the service was a bit slow and somewhat disorganized. We did not have much of a problem because we dined early, but by the end of our meal we noticed that there were people that had been waiting a long time and their order had not yet been taken. They also mixed up one of our appetizers and went to take another table's order before ours, though we were clearly seated at least a full fifteen minutes before the other table. They had forgotton Ken's second glass of wine which, after several reminders, arrived at the end of the meal just before dessert, and I need to mention that our cutlery was not changed in between our appetizer and main course; the busboy merely placed our used, sauce-covered knives and forks back on top of the white linen table cloth for us to use again (not very nice).This was Sunday evening, after Christmas and a day before the end of the year (the place was packed). According to our waiter many of the staff chose not to come in to work. He explained that he himself was just substituting and I assume the other workers were not regular staff either. We felt the food is so good that it is worth waiting for and that it compensated for some of the serving errors, but we could easily understand if some of the patrons were upset.

We highly recommend this restaurant. We would advise the owners, however, to consider employing professional waiters and kitchen staff if they continue to have these serving problems. Our compliments to the chef and to all, Happy New Year and bon apetit!

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Choland restaurant is one of the best fine dining establishments on Franklyn St, particularly if you enjoy Southern Indian Tamil cuisine. The executive chef Subash takes great pride in delivering authentic food in a relaxed but elegant setting. We ate there as a family party of 6 'Brits' and I cannot think of a better place to entertain family and friends. We were made to feel most welcome and our waiter Chris was attentive and helpful. Subash joined us later and we spent a few enjoyable moments discussing Indian cuisine its spices and we were grateful for the opportunity to thank him personally for producing such wonderful food.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

I was very surprised to taste some of the best indian food I've ever had in Chapel Hill of all places. Been twice and both my wife and I thought our meal was delicious each time. Drinks were good as well. My only complaint would be that the drinks can be a bit slow to get to the table. Otherwise all good. I look forward to returning again. Unfortunately I'm a student and and short on cash or I'd eat here at least once a week. Nice atmosphere for an upscale dinner with family or friends.