“Great food, good drinks, chilled-out vibe”
Review of Cholanad

Cholanad
Reserve with OpenTable
Cholanad is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 296 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Mallette St
Columbia, Maryland, USA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, good drinks, chilled-out vibe”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I was very surprised to taste some of the best indian food I've ever had in Chapel Hill of all places. Been twice and both my wife and I thought our meal was delicious each time. Drinks were good as well. My only complaint would be that the drinks can be a bit slow to get to the table. Otherwise all good. I look forward to returning again. Unfortunately I'm a student and and short on cash or I'd eat here at least once a week. Nice atmosphere for an upscale dinner with family or friends.

• Visited September 2012

“Authentic South Indian Food”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Great place that serves authentic, fresh south indian food. I had the south indian thali and it was excellent. Chef Subash and his team do a great job.

• Visited November 2012
Montreal, Canada
“Updating my previous review”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I'm updating my previous review. After the poor experience, I was contacted by the restaurant and they apologized for what had happened. It seems that the Friday I ordered takeout was a very busy night and it took longer than expected to get the food.

My dine in experiences since have been very nice.

• Visited October 2012
PeterK987
“Modern atomosphere, Good Food, and Great Cocktails”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I had the luck of coming here on a Monday (discounted craft cocktails) and was surprised by the great contemporary and bright interior. For someone used to the standard Indian restaurant slapped onto a banquet hall this was more than a pleasant surprise.

I sat at the bar and was again pleased to see a great variety of draft and bottled beer and a full bar. I had a Pacifico on tap and was able to speak with the Executive Chef/Owner who was filiing in for the bar tender that night. I had Tikka Masala Chicken with Naan and it was very well balanced wihtout any dumbed down spices.

The best surprise of the meal was finding the cocktail menu had a variety of balanced and creative drinks to choose from. Plus they were on special! I had a great time and enjoyed the food and the drinks. I'll be talking to some co-workers and arranging an outing to come back.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank PeterK987
SF
“Modern South Indian. Very good!!”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We tried Cholanad a few weeks ago and were very happy.
Food: Unique and sometimes contemporary combinations of South Indian dishes. The dosas at this restaurant rule the menu. We had the Vegetarian Thali (good), the Vada Sambar (OK) and the soft shell crab in a Goa curry with dosa (Excellent). The flavors are vibrant, not overly spicy as they are subdued for the western palate and the food very good. The portions are adequate. Good selection of wine for Indian dishes.
Ambiance: The ambiance is upscale Indian, very nice decor and white table cloths. This can be either a nice casual setting or a more formal dinner depending on the crowd at the table.
Service: The service is OK. The waiter had little knowledge of the dishes, we realize that the dishes are unique but we thought that there could be better training in this area. However, they were always present to refill the wine glass or take care of other needs.
The Owner/Chef also walks around and it was good to talk with him for a few moments. It added a nice touch to the service that you would expect in a restaurant of this caliber.
Overall, we will be back for dinner here often.

• Visited November 2012