“Yummy south Indian food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cholanad

Cholanad
Reserve with OpenTable
Cholanad is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 285 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Mallette St
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Yummy south Indian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

Ur first visit here.. tried the medhu vada paneer tikka and uthappam... yummy yummy... one of the best I've had in the US. The naan is so soft they melt in your mouth. They have some great non veg dishes too

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Carrboro, North Carolina
“Wow! And in Chapel Hill!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

Our family loves southern Indian food, and after spending time in southern India, are excited to find Cholanad in Chapel Hill. We no longer have to drive to Cary for great Indian food.
There is a lovely ambiance (though, to be honest, the t.v. in the bar area could go, and it'd be even better), friendly professional serving staff, and a superior chef.
He has an excellent background and education. We learned that he was on staff with a 5 star hotel in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, which our family stayed at for two weeks, enjoying every single meal we ate there.
For our first meal at Cholanad, we got the table sized dosa, which was more than enough for our group of three. It was delicious, being filled with vegetarian goodness.
Our second meal saw Kuzhi Paniyaram, paneer & pea dosa, and poori and chickpea masala. Again, it was all excellent.
Can hardly wait until our next visit!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank clovercat
Belle Mead, New Jersey
“Outstanding Fare at reasonable prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

Being from NJ/NY area where there is no paucity of good Indian restaurants, I have a show me approach when eating at Indian restaurants in areas outside the northeast. It was with trepidation that I entered Cholanad in downtown Chapel Hill. When the waitress stated she was out the first drink my friend ordered I feared the worst. However, my fears were unjustified as the rest of the fare was nothing short of brilliant. The beach lentils, garbanzo with grated coconut and slivers of mango was reminiscent of an evening at Marina beach in Chennai. The masala dosa with three fresh chutneys and sambar was delicious. My friend had an order of crab meat and dosa was raving about his dish. Cholanad serves fusion Indian cuisine from South India in a pleasant and elegant interior. A BIG thumbs up.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Doctortraveler
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Best Indian Food in the Triangle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

I almost hate to so unreservedly recommend a restaurant that it will become too busy for me to eat there...but Cholanad is the best Indian food in the Triangle, hands down. The waitstaff is attentive and engaging, the ambience lovely and inviting. The chef is young, talented and enthusiastic, and has taken care to fill his menu with dishes and flavors with his southern Indian experience. This makes the food slightly different -- though not unrecognizably so -- from the northern food most of us are familiar with. And makes it absolutely delicious. Even their takeout is full of flavor and care. So much so that as our 5 year-old, initially reluctant to try saag that wasn't "Daddy's saag" (I make a MEAN saag, but lack the experience to give it more dimensions), beamed with spinach all over his face, "It's just like YOUR spinach, Daddy!! It tastes different -- but the more I eat, the more I like it! This is great!" Great indeed. Thanks for a wonderful meal and fantastic experience. I recommend everything and will be back again and again.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank Richard T
Atlanta, Georgia
“Wonderful food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

Lots of yummy options - finally dosa and goat curry combined. The crazy crab starter was nice. Lots of other things I would like to try next time. I like that they take orders, etc over iPads. The dessert portion was just right too.

• Visited July 2012