“Small but mighty”

Kidzu Children's Museum
Ranked #11 of 46 things to do in Chapel Hill
More attraction details
Owner description: Kidzu Children's Museum is a hands-on museum dedicated to inspiring young children and the adults in their lives to learn through creative play. Come experience Kidzu's new Launch Pad at University Mall —make, build, explore and learn in this amazing location! Our space is brimming with fun and engaging exhibits including refreshed tried and true favorites like The Makery, Gravitron, and Farm to Fork plus several spectacular new exhibits: The Forest Theatre, a large-scale climbing wall, and the immense Tarheel Treehouse! In addition to these kids-powered exhibits areas for children infant to tweens, the New Launch Pad offers a wealth of new programs and activities related to arts, STEM (science, technology, engineering and math), child health and wellness and emerging literacy.
Reviewed May 27, 2013

At first I wasn't sure I was at the right place; it's on the back side of a strip mall, and couldn't be less museum-like in appearance. It's very small; I hope they get the funds to make it larger because my 19 month old nephew loved it. Docents were there to make suggestions, and I'm glad the toddler room wasn't overrun with older kids. This can be a problem at many kids' museums. My one suggestion is that more should be done to facilitate sanitizing, especially in the toddler area where the little ones are prone to put everything in their mouths. At the Atlanta Children's Museum there was a sort of letterbox with a round opening for parents to put the items the toddlers have put in their mouths. My grandson became ill with a gastrointestinal illness later in the week and I wonder if his time here had anything to do with it.

1  Thank MassillonJill
Kidzu, Manager at Kidzu Children's Museum, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Thank you for your visit to Kidzu. As a nonprofit Kidzu is dedicated to providing our community with interactive environments that support learning through play. You’ll be happy to know Kidzu is starting small but growing, in the Fall of 2013, to a new larger location at University Mall. Kidzu is also dedicated to a safe and clean environment for all guests; we have always provided a “tasted toy bin” by our tot spot with signage in exhibit about its’ location. We also clean our toys based on the recommendations of the National Association for the Education of Young Children. We hope you will visit us again!

Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

This is a very nice but very small kids museum. They have lots of puzzles, books, construction/building toys and a nice little kitchen cafe. My 3 year old spent a very happy 2 hours there. It is right in downtown Chapel Hill so a nice part of a day- not an all day thing. I do think they are planning to move soon.

1  Thank 24112QGal
Reviewed September 17, 2012

First of all, "museum" is a huge overstatement. There are three small rooms plus small arts-and-crafts corner and a tiny (and drafty!) area for the kids under 24 months.

There was some very strong mildewy smell in the air. Some toys and decorations seemed rather worn and yucky. Fortunately, our 3 year old was happy to leave shortly after arrival since there was nothing much for him to do.

Don't waste your time if you have an active or an older child and certainly it's not worth paying for.

2  Thank Preved
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I took my 2 children, ages 4 and 7, here on Sunday to have some playtime and they had a blast. The place is not very big and can get crowded on Sundays since it is free but it will keep your kids busy for an hour or two. This is really good if your kids are bored from walking around campus and need a break to do some kid stuff for awhile. Parents-bring a book or magazine and grab a stool so you can catch up on your reading! They have a play kitchen and garden area along with a reading nook that has a little puppet theater inside. There is a science corner and a block station too. They also feature a craft with some nice materials.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

We visited this museum on a Sunday because it is free on Sundays. I'm sure the free entrance is why the museum was so overcrowded. The exhibits and play areas were clean, colorful, and engaging for our 18 month old. The staff were friendly and informative about crafts being offered. The museum is relocating to a bigger facility in the near future. I will have to say for free my child enjoyed his time at the museum. If I had paid the $8 it would have cost for my husband and I to go into the museum with our son I would have been highly disappointed. The lack of space and popularity of the museum on that day made for a less enjoyable experience.