“Best pizza in town”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
San Diego, California
“Best pizza in town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

In a student-oriented market with cheap pizza joints on every corner, Piola stands out for its offering of genuine thin crust, modern style pizzas that have creative toppings yet are easily recognizable as Italian pies! If you are looking for heavy duty sauce-and-cheese sitting on a mattress of dough, go elsewhere. At Piola the pizzas are light, delicious and absolutely fresh -- they are made right in front of your eyes.

There are a variety of salads on the menu. Our favorite is the Roku Cabana, a mountain of spicy arugula with diced tomatoes and pistachios lightly dressed with lemon and olive oil. The salad is big enough to share and plenty big for a solo meal.

There is a limited wine and beer list and the prices are reasonable with less than the typical restaurant markup.

The service is attentive, cheerful and excellent. The atmosphere is casual. Nothing stuffy or fancy here, just plain old pizza and a drink to go with it.

• Visited April 2012

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“IMPROVING!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

1st 2 times average across the board at best. Gave it another try. Live jazz. Better wine. Much better service. Food all dishes solid. Keep it up. You earned another trip, and a positive review.

North Carolina
“Great food, perfect service... excellent wine and bar choices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

I live in Chapel Hill and dine out a lot with my family. Piola has become our favorite place to go. The menu is varied and everything on it is good. The service is the nicest I've found in town. (Last night, my husband asked if we could take some milk home with us because we'd run out and I wouldn't have any for my morning coffee. They gave us a huge take out thing for free with a laugh.)

Last night, two of my children ordered pizza--one a veggie and one an Alfredo--, another son ordered pasta and meatballs, my husband ordered seviche, and I ordered a carpaccio arugula salad. My husband and I each had a great glass of red--he ordered a Chianti and I ordered a Barolo. We ate and drank everything put before us!

The ambiance is very family friendly--there are TV's showing sports, but the volume's off and they're subtly placed. The art on the wall changes and is usually pretty good.

We've eaten there about four times now and every time it's been a treat.

1 Thank LDGrin
Pittsboro, North Carolina
“Overpriced. Wouldn't go back.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

I've been noticing the sign at the new complex on my commute home for quite awhile, and when RSVVP occurred, I saw they were participating. We opted for somewhere else that night, but the menu piqued my interest, so we finally got around to trying it out tonight.

Walked in and it was kinda dead for 8 PM on Sunday. Not a big deal, but the decor is pretty cool. I liked the appearance. The service was friendly and attentive. The food however.... ordered a diet soda and was brought a can of it and a highball glass filled to the brim with ice. That started things off kinda poorly for me (end of the night...that was a $2 can of soda with no refills. Boo!)

Noticed the pizzas were 12" and in the $11-16 range. My wife and I split one, and were going to get salads too, but they only have 1-2 that you can get as sides, and those were $5 so we went for the Caprese salad with regular mozzarella, not the buffalo mozzarella (a $5 upcharge). It came with pink roma tomatoes. As my wife pointed out...this isn't the best time of year to get good tomatoes, so...I'll let that slide a little. The cheese was good, and it did have fresh basil.

We opted for the pizza that was had bacon wrapped Gorgonzola as the topping. Sounded unique and interesting. Pizza came out cut into big quarters. Each quarter had 2-3 mini-pinwheels of the topping, which were about ½" across. That's it. Super-thin crust and minimal tomato sauce, and about 9 pieces of topping. Imagine a 12" pepperoni pizza with 9 small pieces of pepperoni on it.

As my wife said..."this is like 'diet-pizza'. If I go out for pizza, I want pizza, not this".

I'd honestly take Peppers of heck...even Gumby's over this. I don't mind paying $ for a good meal, but this just ain't worth it for what you get. My overall 3 rating for this is based on the decor and service, otherwise they'd get a 2.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Fun space, great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2011

So colorful! So delicious! The surroundings and the menu are works of art. I'll be back!