“Beware of bed bugs”

Hampton Inn and Suites Chapel Hill / Durham Area
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Reviewed January 19, 2014

A friend and I flew in from out of town and stayed at this hotel while she was in town for business January 12th and 13th. The hotel seemed nice and the location was great for what she needed workwise. They even put us in a suite! Unfortunately, our room had bed bugs. I found a speck on the box spring the Sunday we arrived, but my friend flicked it with her finger and thought it was just fuzz. Once I pulled back the sheets and realized the mattress was encased in a cover, I figured all would be ok. (I might want to add that I had an experience with bed bugs in a hotel years ago so I always do a check.) The first morning I woke, I noticed a row of bites by my left eye. When I showed my friend, she thought it was probably just acne. I doubted it but went with it...who wants to believe it's something else?! The second morning, I had bites on my arms, hand, upper chest, ear, and lower back. When I went to the front desk to express my concern, the attendant, though nice, was doubtful it was bed bugs. He indicated they spray weekly and that I would have noticed blood specks in my bed. He also wondered why my friend was not bitten. I went back to our room and we pulled down the sheets on my bed. There it was! A bed bug. We took a picture and I went down to show the attendant. My friend stayed in the room and searched her bed, finding nothing. The front desk clerk said they would comp one night but not both nights because "Hilton never comps 2 nights". My concern was not getting the room covered; my concern was taking the bugs back to my home or my friend taking them back to her family's home. The clerk told me that the manager may offer more than one night but that they can do nothing about what happens when people leave the hotel. I have taken all precautions I can and am hopeful the bugs are still in Chapel Hill :) I emailed the manager but have yet to hear anything back - not even an apology for the experience. Until the bed bug incident, I very much enjoyed the stay in the hotel. If you plan to stay, be cautious!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank M K
Katherine C, Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Chapel Hill / Durham Area, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

I wanted to follow-up again regarding your stay.

During our correspondence we agree that, although hotels do have travelers coming and going constantly, we are committed to providing you and all our guests with the highest standards of quality and services.

Although, our staff goes through great lengths to ensure that our rooms are properly cleaned and regularly inspected in addition to the routine monthly maintenance performed by a licensed exterminator.

IThat is why we proactively entered into a contract in 2013 with a licensed exterminator that not only does a full canine inspection; it treats our facility with an preventative and residual compound that protects guests and the hotel from exposure.

As you mentioned, I did see that my staff did implement the “100% Satisfaction Guarantee” for only one night. And I did want you to know that I did credit you back for the additional night that you had stayed with us.

The time taken along with the effort made to share your comments with us is most appreciated. Feedback from our guests is vitally important in our mission to be the first choice of the world’s travelers.

We want you as our guest and are hopeful that you will afford us the opportunity to provide lodging services in the future.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

This hotel was extremely clean and comfortable. I would stay here and recommend this hotel to others. I am very particular about the hotels in which I stay and I was very impressed. Bed was comfortable and bathroom was really clean.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Katherine C, General Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Chapel Hill / Durham Area, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Thank you for your review and for choosing us for your accommodations. We are honored and privileged to serve you and are excited to be your hotel when visiting the Chapel Hill area. We look forward to serving you again and hope you enjoy each and every stay with us.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

I love this Hampton inn, the staff is amazing! I travel too that area for the cancer hospital,and I would not stay any where else in that area.the breakfast is awesome! they also have a complimentary management social that is awesome!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for your review and for choosing us for your accommodations. I will be sure to pass along the kind words and am grateful to read that your stay was accommodated as we seek to serve all of our guests. I hope if your travels bring you back to the Chapel Hill Area, you will again choose us for your accommodations

Reviewed January 14, 2014

The staff on site are a class act. They are very helpful and will go out of there way for your comfort. My wife had a cough and went to the lobby at 3:am looking for cough drops in the little store. They didnt have any! the staf on duty found her a personel suppl of cough drops and gave them to her..

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for your review and for choosing us for your accommodations. We greatly appreciate your returned patronage and hope each experience is more gratifying than the last. We look forward to your return and to serving you again. Please let us know of anything we can do to make your visit more special.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed for 4 nights in Dec when we met up with our daughter who was finishing her term at UNC. We are visiting North Carolina for the first time and we were pleasantly satisfied with this hotel. Located off the junction of a major highway, it was easy to find. The room was large enough to accommodate all 5 of us and our luggages as well. Front desk was friendly and helpful. The breakfast was more than what we expected. Coffee and tea is available at lobby at all times and it was much appreciated especially during the cold winter when we stayed. There is a small business centre located near the breakfast room and we were able to print our boarding passes for free. That is a real plus! The only disadvantage is there were few dining places within walking distance and having a car is a must. This part of the woods are pretty widespread and the towns are all located quite a distance away.

1  Thank nyetzy

Thank you for your review and for choosing the hotel for your accommodations. We appreciate the kind words and hope that if your travels bring you back to the area, that you will again choose us for your accommodations.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

We needed a nice, comfortable hotel close to our family. The staff was warm and welcoming. The hotel lobby was inviting and clean. The rooms were clean and comfortable. We would stay here again as well as recommend for others to stay here.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for your review and for choosing us for your accommodations. We appreciate the kind words and hope that you will be back to stay with us soon. We look forward to serving you.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

We spent 6 nights visiting our daughter for Christmas.

The property was your usual Hampton Inn. The rooms were spacious and clean. The heater, though, was too noisy especially on high. The front desk staff was professional but not overly friendly.

Breakfast was good. Once again it was your usual Hampton Inn breakfast which I think is better than a Denny's. There was oatmeal, dry cereals, fresh waffles, bagels and bread, some type of eggs and sausage and bacon, fruit and yogurt. The coffee, I think, is pretty good. There is also tea. Anything you could really want for breakfast. The staff in the kitchen was very friendly and helpful. We've stayed in other Hampton Inns in other parts of the country and this one was on par with those.

The pool is outside. This is good for the summer, but not the winter.

The gym was very well equipped, much better than the Hampton Inn we stayed in visiting our other daughter near Denver.

The hotel is convenient to I-40, Durham, Chapel Hill and Carrboro.

When we visit our daughter again, we will certainly consider staying here again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor and it was quiet.