Hampton Inn and Suites Chapel Hill / Durham Area
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Overall I was very impressed with this hotel. From the clean, friendly staff to the newly decorated lobby and guest rooms. The hotel team has done an outstanding job making our weekend a memorable one. They were very attentive to our needs. They were able to shuttle us around town which was a true blesssing since we did not know anything about the area. They were full of information on things to do and where to eat. I would definately recommend this hotel to my friends, family and business associates. And, when in the Chapel Hill area, I will stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: This hotel has a great layout.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Staying here was a great experience. Spacious rooms and comfortable accommodations. Wonderful breakfast bar and selections. Newspapers at breakfast. Televisions. Free Internet connection and wifi. Plentiful parking.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Overall I was very impressed with the size of our room and the cleanliness of the place. We rented a room with a queen bed and sleep sofa, with a door separating the two rooms. There was a LG TV in each room, and a fridge along with a stove and dishwasher in the main room. The mini kitchen came with utensils and basic kitchen supplies (pots, pans, etc). The queen sized bed was very comfortable and easy to sleep on, however, the sofa bed lacked stability and there was a metal poll jabbing my back as I slept. This was to be expected though, there are no many sofa beds that are pleasant to sleep on. The breakfast buffet in the morning is included, and it's a good place to stop and get a bite to eat. I'm a relatively picky eater, and it definitely satisfied my palate. There was hot oatmeal, fruit (a little bit on the syrupy side--included honeydew, grapes, pineapple and cantaloupe), bananas, apples, ready-to-makes waffles, eggs (either scrambled or cheese omelets), french toast, bagels, muffins and a couple pastries. There was also 3 choices of cereal--raisin bran, cheerios and what looked like fruity pebbles. Next to the oatmeal was an assortment of toppings like raisins, sliced almonds and such. Of course they included coffee and teas, along with apple, orange or cranberry juice. The coffee was pretty smooth, and definitely and must-have in the morning hours. Their selection of teas was a nice touch as well. My only real complaint with the breakfast is that they only had paper plates and utensils--which was a let down because it is nicer (and more conservative towards the environment) to use proper glassware. Especially because they're taking the time to actually set up and cook a nice breakfast for everyone, they should take the time to put out glassware. Overall the food downstairs was very good--the hot food was hot and the cold food was cold. The oatmeal was fresh, along with their selection of fresh fruit. Their hot food (eggs, bacon, etc) was decent, just about passable. I would stick to the basics--bagels, cereal, toast and fruit. And the oatmeal--seems like the majority of the customers go back for a second cup.

If you don't have the 15 min for the buffet, make sure you grab one of their on-the-go breakfast bags!! They're complimentary and I applaud them for going the extra mile to satisfy the customers who don't have the time to sit down for their buffet.

And, make sure that you stop by the buffet/lobby area around 6/7pm! They like to set up a mini assortment of crackers, chips and veggies (carrots, celery and dip). This was excellent! They even had some local beer available. This was all free and complimentary, and they didn't tell us about it when we checked in. We really enjoyed this little snack area after we had been running around UNC Chapel Hill all day.

Also, the lobby area is a really nice place to sit around and catch up on some local/national news. The seating area is nice and it's not overcrowded at all. All in all, we enjoyed staying here and would definitely come back when we visit UNC Chapel Hill--the price for what you're getting is excellent and it's close to local establishments and only about a 15 min ride to campus!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
HamptonInnSuites1, General Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Chapel Hill / Durham Area, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Dear Stefanie,

Wow! what a great review. I am so appreciative of you taking the time to write such a detailed review of our hotel. Our staff strives in delivering Hamptonality to all our guests and I am truly honored that the staff made your stay such an enjoyable one. I will tell you that all Hampton Inn's including ours are now using biodegradeable plates and cutlery in breakfast. Hampton definately wants to make sure that we are all environmentally conscious moving forward.

Thank you again for your stay and review of our hotel. Please give me a call next time you visit Chapel Hill and I will be sure to make sure you get one of our best rooms.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I was so impressed with the hotel itself and especially the desk staff. One person that stood out and really made our trip was Adrienne. She went out of her way to make us feel welcome and comfortable while we were trying to re-familiarize ourselves with the area. She provided excellent directions to UNC/area and excellent recommendations for dining (we loved the Nantucket Grill across the street); and offered hotel shuttle services as well. Even though the hotel was full Friday night, our room was clean & we were able to check in early Saturday afternoon. The hotel was quiet (while full), clean, and well maintained. We will stay there again when we return to the area and have already recommended it to others. Great stay!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 3, 2013

the hotel was very clean, receptonists were both very nice and very helpful in helping my wife and i get to the north carolina campus for the basketball game. it was only a 5 minute drive to the dean dome! i will be staying here next time i visit for a carolina game.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
HamptonInnSuites1, General Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Chapel Hill / Durham Area, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear Tyler L,

Thank you for your most recent stay with our hotel. I appreciate you taking the time to write a review and your positive feedback about our staff and hotel. I am happy that my staff was able to point you in the right direction to the Dean Dome for the basketball game. I hope you can make it back for another game soon. Our hotel will be hanging all of our UNC Basketball memorabilia throughout the lobby within a few weeks to make our guests visits to Chapel Hill even more memorable. I hope to see you soon.

Hampton Inn & Suites

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Clean, comfortable beds, convenient to Raleigh Airport, UNC campus, Franklin Street, etc. I think people forget that breakfast is FREE, so while they may not have everything exactly as you like it, there is enough selection that there will be something you like. How can you complain about a complimentary amenity? Staff was friendly.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Dear AshleyB,

Thank you for your recent review of our Hampton Inn & Suites. I appreciate you taking the time to write a positive review. I also appreciate your comments concerning our free hot breakfast. Hampton Inn was one of the first limited service hotels to introduce a free hot breakfast and they have done a lot of research in making sure the items we put on the breakfast bar are of the highest quality. We look forward to a return visit in the future.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Nice Hampton property - great location and service, ample parking and friendly staff. Very convenient to UNC campus. Hot breakfast items were just OK, but I generally find that's the case at all Hampton properties - wish they would upgrade the quality of the hot items. I would definitely stay here again when in the Chapel Hill area.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family